HPSP - Questions for Residency Placement and Effects on Research and Ability to Get MS in Bioeng

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurpleMilosz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a few questions with HPSP! I would love to serve as a military physician for a few years and travel. I would be honored to be given that opportunity!

I am just fearful of the residency matching and also the amount of time during the summer taken away. I want to do a lot of research and I don't know how much it would effect this?! Also want to get an MS in Bioeng while doing my MD.

I understand you first do the military match program and then the civilian. With the military can you rank number 1 civilian defferment. I may have big dreams, but I love to do a residency at a place like Mass Gen or U of Wash. I am interested in surgical residencies and a little bit of em, but strongly favoring surgery. I would like to specialize and even do fellowships. I am also interested heavily in Research.

Here are my questions then:

1) Is it wise to do 4 years as a GMO after your internship year? Can I still be competitive after 5 years since graduation for residencies? Is there a way to make yourself competitive again?

2) What if you don't want to do any military residency? If you list civilian deferment will you be able to just apply to civilian?

3) Further during the four years could you postpone the HPSP scholarship and do a year between M2 and M3 to get a MS in Bioengineering?

4) Further in the summers do you still have plenty of time to do research? I want to be competitive and need research.

Also add anything I might be missing!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.