Air Force HPSP physical requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittridge1141

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in Air Force or Navy HPSP. I was looking at physical/medical requirements to join Air Force as an officer. Under vision it says your eyes can't be worse than +/- 8.0. One of my eye is -8.5 :( Would this prevent me from applying to HPSP? What if I got LASIK? If I recall correctly, you could wait 1 year after LASIK to qualify to enlist.

I know people who've had LASIK can't be a pilot. I am really interested in becoming a flight surgeon. Would same rules apply to flight surgeons? I couldn't find specific requirements that pertain to flight surgeons.

I've emailed local recruiter and local health professional recruiter last week but I haven't heard from either of them so I thought I would post here for insight.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am interested in Air Force or Navy HPSP. I was looking at physical/medical requirements to join Air Force as an officer. Under vision it says your eyes can't be worse than +/- 8.0. One of my eye is -8.5 :( Would this prevent me from applying to HPSP? What if I got LASIK? If I recall correctly, you could wait 1 year after LASIK to qualify to enlist.

I know people who've had LASIK can't be a pilot. I am really interested in becoming a flight surgeon. Would same rules apply to flight surgeons? I couldn't find specific requirements that pertain to flight surgeons.

I've emailed local recruiter and local health professional recruiter last week but I haven't heard from either of them so I thought I would post here for insight.

Thank you!

If you're going to be an Officer, then you will commission, not enlist, in the Armed Forces.

Last edited:
8.0 is the standard, and yes, you will be medically disqualified at MEPS. HOWEVER, you can still join as waivers do exist, and you will be considered by the waiver authority of each branch (Surgeon General of the Air Force or N3M in the Navy).

P.S.- If you're going to be an Officer, then you will commission, not enlist, in the Armed Forces.

How difficult is it to get a waiver? would that be preferable over getting LASIK?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
That is for the waiver authority of the service to decide, not me.

Also, check the standard on LASIK. I believe there might be a one year waiting period after getting LASIK before you can join.

Thank you for your help :)