HPSP Physical/Drug Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

Fasho

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there will be a drug test. Blood draw and well as urine test. It is the same for all 3 branches. I don't know if testing positive for marijuana will disqualify you, but it should IMO. If you want to be in a position of leadership as a dentist and military officer, you need to be responsible. Lead by example. Your asking the question raises some serious concerns.

Yes, there will be a drug test. Blood draw and well as urine test. It is the same for all 3 branches. I don't know if testing positive for marijuana will disqualify you, but it should IMO. If you want to be in a position of leadership as a dentist and military officer, you need to be responsible. Lead by example. Your asking the question raises some serious concerns.

Yes, a positive for THC will automatically disqualify you! If you have smoked it before, you can still get in if you admit it, but not if it is recently and test positive for it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Get off your high horse. I'm guessing you are some little punk who has never been in the military. Weed is everywhere, and just because this guy did it doesn't disqualify him for duty. I don't know what the situation is because it got erased, but the best officers I know are guys with somewhat shady pasts. They had a rough time growing up, did some drugs, got into trouble, then broke through and became the best officers this military has.

So put away your college-boy pre-dent attitude and don't run your mouth about subjects you aren't qualified to speak about.

Reactions: 1 user
I apologize for upsetting you. My goal was to make him/her think.

If you had read carefully, you would have noted that I never mentioned it would disqualify him from duty, nor do I think because someone has done weed or had a "shady" past that they should forever be disqualified from anything. I simply said if you want to be a leader, you need to be responsible. If you are planning on attending dental school and becoming an officer in the near future, and you know there are requirements you will have to meet, it would be wise to not jepoardize what you really want (in this case, HPSP & dental school) for what you think you want (in this case, weed).

Get off your high horse. I'm guessing you are some little punk who has never been in the military. Weed is everywhere, and just because this guy did it doesn't disqualify him for duty. I don't know what the situation is because it got erased, but the best officers I know are guys with somewhat shady pasts. They had a rough time growing up, did some drugs, got into trouble, then broke through and became the best officers this military has.

So put away your college-boy pre-dent attitude and don't run your mouth about subjects you aren't qualified to speak about.

1. anger management does amazing things these days

2. "weed is everywhere" or "i know people who have done it and turned out great" is not much of an excuse

3. he had only made mention of it being a major problem if he tests positive.....and to be honest he should have been off the stuff for a long time before the physical, having known he was interested in becoming a dentist and a naval officer

4. I think that any dental student/dentist should be qualified to speak on the subject considering that we all abide to a set of moral ethical codes and the maintenance of the integrity of our profession

Lifetime2Drill,

If it were worth my time, I'd argue with you and let you know of my actual qualifications. But it's not. Nor is it really necessary since not much needs to be said to the one condoning the use of drugs-but hey, what do I know? Clearly not as much as you since I'm not a dental student like you yet.

I also think it's funny how you-who didn't even get a chance to read the original post-are now the authority in the thread.

I will, however, post this for any people you are leading down the wrong path. Taken directly from the NAVY MED Handbook (for HPSP scholars) Section 1-9, page 10...

"Navy Drug Policy.

1. The Navy has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy on drug use. If a participant tests positive for illicit or controlled drugs (without a prescription), scholarship benefits will be immediately terminated and the participant will be processed for immediate administrative separation from the Navy.

2. While serving on Annual Training (outlined in Chapter 5), each program participant is subject to the current drug policies of the Navy and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Student status in no way exempts an individual from drug testing at any site established by the Navy."

Good Day.