Army HPSP medical waiver for Myopia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My MEPS' physical is basically done and my Army recruiter needs to apply for a waiver for my Myopia.

Basically, I studied in poor light condition when I was young, read and stayed on computer a lot during college years so my left eye's myopia is 9.25, over the allowed limit of 8 while my right eye's myopia is 7.5, which is acceptable. Other than this, there is nothing wrong with my eyes, no illnesses and no deformities. They made me do an ophthalmologist consultation to have thisresult so they will go off of this result.

How generous is the Army HPSP with granting waiver for this kind of disqualification?

any inputs is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that as long as it doesn't affect you as a general dentist, then you might get away with it. Then again, they have to consider 4 years from now as well. That it might can be worse, and it could be for both eyes.

lol yep agree but myopia stops increasing as you get older. hopefully they know. my prescription hasnt change for 2-3 years already

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do the MEPs with glasses/contacts or without?

Did you do the MEPs with glasses/contacts or without?

I personally did MEPS with my glasses on (I don't wear contacts) and then I had to go to the ophthalmologist consultation at a nearby private practice (took 4 hours).

because sometimes if you have high grade myopia, you develop retinal tear and some nasty illnesses.

I personally did MEPS with my glasses on (I don't wear contacts) and then I had to go to the ophthalmologist consultation at a nearby private practice (took 4 hours).

because sometimes if you have high grade myopia, you develop retinal tear and some nasty illnesses.

they don't make you take off your glasses?

Last edited:
wait NVM it is with and without glasses. but anyways, have you had any experience with medical waiver?

Not exactly. I just know that when I was talking to my recruiter about my situation, where I had surgery to realign my eyes. I was pretty worried about the situation, but my recruiter told me it should be okay as long as it doesn't give me any trouble. We will see once I do my MEPs in August.

With myopia, I think it should be okay because it can be corrected easily with glasses/contacts.