HPSP Deadline? Help?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shadownght12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How late is too late to apply for a 4 year HPSP scholarship?
I'm really interested in the scholarship and have been accepted, but am I too late in the game. What are my chances?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you live and how many medical or legal problems you have. My recruiter told me he has two 4-year dental hpsp scholarships reserved for him to give out between now and next october. I'm the only one who has talked to him about getting one, so that's looking good for me as long as my application passes. If you're in an area where the scholarships are more in demand, that could be an issue. Again, this is just what my recruiter told me and he is new to this job. I'm his first hpsp applicant.
Also, with the medical and legal stuff, you could be set back a few months trying to get waivers and supporting documents. You wouldn't even believe all of the medical disquailfications that the military has. Check this list: http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_DQ_medical,,00.html
It's a long process, and I hope everything works out in the end for both of us!

It depends on where you live and how many medical or legal problems you have. My recruiter told me he has two 4-year dental hpsp scholarships reserved for him to give out between now and next october. I'm the only one who has talked to him about getting one, so that's looking good for me as long as my application passes. If you're in an area where the scholarships are more in demand, that could be an issue. Again, this is just what my recruiter told me and he is new to this job. I'm his first hpsp applicant.
Also, with the medical and legal stuff, you could be set back a few months trying to get waivers and supporting documents. You wouldn't even believe all of the medical disquailfications that the military has. Check this list: http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_DQ_medical,,00.html
It's a long process, and I hope everything works out in the end for both of us!
Army recruiters are not given a certain number of scholarships. Scholarships are held and it is determined who they will be given out to through a central board process. Each recruiting station has expected goals they are to meet - that is more likely what your recruiter is referring to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure about that? Because I asked my recruiter many times if he was absolutely sure that there would be a scholarship there reserved for him to give out and his answer was always "yes". He seemed quite certain of this fact, but again, he is new. He even said that there were a few recruiters that did so well with getting recruits that they asked to be given more scholarships to give out.
If you are sure that he was wrong, do you know how many there are? And if they have all been given out in recent years? I heard that 5 or 6 years ago they couldn't even fill 25% of them.

Are you sure about that? Because I asked my recruiter many times if he was absolutely sure that there would be a scholarship there reserved for him to give out and his answer was always "yes". He seemed quite certain of this fact, but again, he is new. He even said that there were a few recruiters that did so well with getting recruits that they asked to be given more scholarships to give out.
If you are sure that he was wrong, do you know how many there are? And if they have all been given out in recent years? I heard that 5 or 6 years ago they couldn't even fill 25% of them.
I am positive. I have sat on a HPSP selection board and I have been involved in jobs where I have had a lot of invovlement with working with HPSP and recruiting.

This year there are 70 4 yr scholarships available.

For the past 4 yrs all 4 yr scholarships have been given out. Prior to that it was in the 70-80% range for a while.

I am positive. I have sat on a HPSP selection board and I have been involved in jobs where I have had a lot of invovlement with working with HPSP and recruiting.

This year there are 70 4 yr scholarships available.

For the past 4 yrs all 4 yr scholarships have been given out. Prior to that it was in the 70-80% range for a while.

Thank you for the heads up and would you say that if I have done my physical and have all my paperwork ready now, I still have opportunity to get the 4 years HSPS?
I am really counting on this to be able to start dental school concentrated only in dental school and not worried about money plus dental school.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the selection board dates are? And when is the deadline for submitting the app/having the physical done to get in on each of those board dates? My recruiter is being soooo slow...and now everyone is on vacation.

Does anyone know when the selection board dates are? And when is the deadline for submitting the app/having the physical done to get in on each of those board dates? My recruiter is being soooo slow...and now everyone is on vacation.
There will be a board meeting about once a month. If your packet goes in for January or February you are still looking good.

Thank you for the heads up and would you say that if I have done my physical and have all my paperwork ready now, I still have opportunity to get the 4 years HSPS?
I am really counting on this to be able to start dental school concentrated only in dental school and not worried about money plus dental school.
Thanks again!
More than likely.

There will be a board meeting about once a month. If your packet goes in for January or February you are still looking good.

Is there a certain deadline for getting the apps into the Jan or Feb board? In other words,do all apps to be reviewed at a board review in late Feb need to be received by a specific date (Jan 31st, for example)?

Is there a certain deadline for getting the apps into the Jan or Feb board? In other words,do all apps to be reviewed at a board review in late Feb need to be received by a specific date (Jan 31st, for example)?
Yes there are certain cut off dates for each board. Your recruiter will know the dates.

Yes there are certain cut off dates for each board. Your recruiter will know the dates.

Are the dates absolute? I feel like I am going to miss the January board submission date by a day or two.

Are the dates absolute? I feel like I am going to miss the January board submission date by a day or two.
I don't know. The recruiter you are working with will know the dates. Everything has to be uploaded and put into the right files so the board members can pull the information down when they are reviewing each applicant. That is why something that is sent in too close to the board may not make it.

Members don't see this ad :)

My recruiter doesn't seem to think that any one knows these dates. Are there other recruiters I could call to confirm?

First January Boards began meeting 18 January-20 January. Results will be released up to 2-3 weeks later. The next cut-off date for packets to be submitted will be 24 January for the boards that will meet 7 February.

How late is too late to apply for a 4 year HPSP scholarship?
I'm really interested in the scholarship and have been accepted, but am I too late in the game. What are my chances?
Thank you!
I was chosen for a 4yr scholarship two months after starting dental school. I believe this is somewhat rare because my recruiter said all 4yr scholarships were taken by January (before I matriculated). Just get your app in ASAP.

thanks.
I got my app in, physical done, reqs and everything else turned in a day after I posted this.
My recruiter said I would make the Feb. 7th board meeting. Hopefully it'll all work out.

AHHHHH!
Somehow everything of mine got processed right away and instead of the Feb. board meeting I made the January boards.
I was offered the scholarship today and I swear in on Thursday! :D
I really have to thank my recruiter though, he did a fantastic job at getting everything done on time and checking in on me all the time.

ok. because i still need to schedule my physical...

and after 2 months of trying to get in touch with my recruiter, i found out that she transferred out...

makes sense i guess...she didn't respond to any of my emails/calls

I haven't seen the schedule - a recruiter may be able to give you the exact number as well as dates - but typically 1 a month at least through April/May.
Here are the upcoming board dates. you can figure that the packets will be due at least a week prior.

Feb 7-9
Mar 13-15
Apr 17-19
May 15-17
June 5-7

The boards continue through the summer, but if you haven't gotten your packet in by April your chances are slim - more than likely you will be on the wait list.

Do you know how many spots are left. I asked my recruiter but all he said is that they gave out a record number this past month. I hope there are still some spots left!