HPSP applicant very excited!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldirty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share .... Im applying for the Navy HPSP and I am excited!

Members don't see this ad.

I've already applied for the Air Force's HPSP and I am also excited!!!!

Good luck with your application, I'm sure that you'll get a scholarship with your grades and DAT scores!

you're making an awesome decision. my parents pushed me to do the navy and i couldnt be happier. the navy paid $500 for my books, some of which i dont really need (hello half.com!)

Members don't see this ad :)
All,

Congratulations on your HPSP Scholarship. I did a 4yr. HPSP with the Army. I know this is in the future, but I do want to recommend something. I will start with a statement: The fact that I owe the big zero for dental school is nice, but it is the least that the Army has done for me.....what is the best thing they have done for me......Residency training. So, my point to you all is do a Residency. This will prepare you for private practice (AEGD, Comp. Program, traditional specialty, etc). This, I believe, applies for any Service!!

SoonerFan

All,

Congratulations on your HPSP Scholarship. I did a 4yr. HPSP with the Army. I know this is in the future, but I do want to recommend something. I will start with a statement: The fact that I owe the big zero for dental school is nice, but it is the least that the Army has done for me.....what is the best thing they have done for me......Residency training. So, my point to you all is do a Residency. This will prepare you for private practice (AEGD, Comp. Program, traditional specialty, etc). This, I believe, applies for any Service!!

SoonerFan

Thanks for the advice SoonerFan, I was planning on going into residency training after dental school. Do dentists usually graduate from dental school and then go right into residency training if they're in the military? Does the military mind this?

Thanks for any advice

Thanks for the advice SoonerFan, I was planning on going into residency training after dental school. Do dentists usually graduate from dental school and then go right into residency training if they're in the military? Does the military mind this?

Thanks for any advice

paul510psu,

The Army Dental Corps does not mind if people go right into a residency out of dental school. The Board selection process simply selects the best applicants. I would recommend applying in your DS4 year. I know many people who have gotten into their residency right out of dental school....go for it.

SoonerFan

Thanks for any advice

Depends on the residency. Ortho Endo and to some extent OS are competitive. And while not unheard of to get into right out of school, is unlikely. While they do take the "best" candidates, various other factors go into it. Such as deployments. You can bet if you've been deployed, toe slot, ect you will have a leg up on the competition. (no pun intended) But if you are going into Bravo, Pros, Perio or Public health????? there's a pretty good chance you could get in right out of school. When I graduated in 05, they were begging for Pros and perio residents, not sure if that's still the case, but it is easier to get into these.

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it.

Thanks and good luck to all

did you need to provide lor's to the navy?

did you need to provide lor's to the navy?

From what I remember you do need 3 letters from former employers. And if you are fresh out of college and haven't had employers then you can use Professors.

I have my MEPs physical saturday. I am applying for both the Air Force and Navy scholarships.... im pumped:thumbup:

Have fun with that physical, oh and don't be surprised, like I was, when everybody asks you when your ship date is.

Good luck with the HPSP.

Have fun with that physical, oh and don't be surprised, like I was, when everybody asks you when your ship date is.

Good luck with the HPSP.

Speaking of the physical...did anybody else have to bend over and spread your butt cheeks? What the hell could they be checking for? Or did I just get a gay military physician that I need to report? :laugh:

Speaking of the physical...did anybody else have to bend over and spread your butt cheeks? What the hell could they be checking for? Or did I just get a gay military physician that I need to report? :laugh:

Yes, everybody has to do this at the MEPS physical. It is called a visual rectal examination to the best of my knowledge and it is to check for hemorrhoids, among other things.

When he asked me to "back up and bend over", I did as he said, but I backed up way too far and put my butt right in his face. I just about cried laughing when he said, "whoa, little too close there bud." Needless to say I had a pretty good laugh with the other guys after my physical was over. LOL

Ummm, nothing like this occurred during my physical...

I have my MEPs physical saturday. I am applying for both the Air Force and Navy scholarships.... im pumped:thumbup:

You had to go to MEPs for your physicals? Mine they just sent me to a private doctor, whenever I wanted to go. And I am from SD so its not like there aren't a million bases around there to do a MEPs physical. BTW I am NAVY HPSP, and it is frickin sweet. I am loving being debt free.... I didn't even fill out FAFSA, and for me every penny is being covered, with a little extra through the stipend.