Navy HPSP and Depressants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyBound

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year HPSP student.
If I'm getting counseling with a school psychologist or psychiatrist while on HPSP do I tell my military contact?

If you are clinically diagnosed with depression or anxiety while in school on HPSP, what happens and how does it affect the scholarship and career? What if an SSRIs is prescribed?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably should contact someone in the military and ask them. If it were me there is no way I would even fill a prescription for SSRIs. The issue is what if you are out in the field and don't have access to your medicine, they don't know what would happen to you or what state of mind you would be in. The bigger issue though is you need to take care of yourself, and if that means forfeiting your scholarship and paying it back to keep yourself healthy then that's something you need to think about. Not saying that's what will happen, I have no idea, but from what I've read in the past that's how serious they take things like that.

You're required to update them of any changes in your health diagnoses

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm getting counseling with a school psychologist or psychiatrist while on HPSP do I tell my military contact?

If you are clinically diagnosed with depression or anxiety while in school on HPSP, what happens and how does it affect the scholarship and career? What if an SSRIs is prescribed?

You absolutely need to inform your local health care recruiter in the area.

In addition to what has been said already, you will need to complete a physical/medical exam when you start your active duty career and you will be required to disclose all your recent past medical history.