This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDKLA

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a first-year dental student. I received an HPSL loan (amount: 16 k) as part of my financial aid package. I also received direct unsubsidized loans aka Direct Stafford Loans (amount: ~45 k) and a hardship waiver of 3 k. My tuition and expenses are ~ 53 k for this year. I am hesitant to accept the HPSL loan that is at a lower interest rate (5%) because I read that HPSL loans are not eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) unless consolidated. I do plan to pursue PSLF. I am not familiar at all with consolidating loans and not sure about the pros and cons are. Do you think my best option is to take the HPSL (16 k) + direct unsub (34 k) + hardship waiver (3 k)? or is it better to take only 5 k of HPSL+ direct unsub (the whole amount of 45 k)+ hardship waiver (3 k)?

Thanks in advance for your help

*Note: I also read that HPSL loans are NOT eligible for income-driven repayment plans

Members don't see this ad.

Take the loan. It's interest free until you graduate, so there's no reason not to take it. You can park it into a high interest savings account, invest it, etc. At the end of dental school, you can pay it back in full and not worry about it

Reactions: 1 user
If you only put 16k into a high interest savings account, you'll get ~$653 by the end of dental school. If you put all your HPL money into a high interest account every year, you'll walk away with a few extra thousand dollars under your belt when you graduate
Screenshot_20200717-113716_Samsung Internet.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
If you only put 16k into a high interest savings account, you'll get ~$653 by the end of dental school. If you put all your HPL money into a high interest account every year, you'll walk away with a few extra thousand dollars under your belt when you graduateView attachment 313096

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it, BasicG!

Chances of you actually pursuing a job that qualifies for the PSLF are slim, it's VERY difficult to get into those programs unless you plan on doing anything other than private practice.

Take the loan. It's interest free until you graduate, so there's no reason not to take it. You can park it into a high interest savings account, invest it, etc. At the end of dental school, you can pay it back in full and not worry about it

Actually, I was looking into this and read the documents, where I found no interest during 12 months after graduation. "... the annual percentage rate will be charged on the unpaid balance and that it will begin to accrue 12 months after I cease to be enrolled as a full-time student"
So, for HPSL, no interest from disbursement to one year after graduation; that's pretty cool!

Actually, I was looking into this and read the documents, where I found no interest during 12 months after graduation. "... the annual percentage rate will be charged on the unpaid balance and that it will begin to accrue 12 months after I cease to be enrolled as a full-time student"
So, for HPSL, no interest from disbursement to one year after graduation; that's pretty cool!
Dang, guess I missed that part. The HPSL seriously beats out all other loans - no origination fees, interest doesn't accrue, and there's a 1 year grace period. People are crazy for not applying for it

Reactions: 1 users