How's your NBME progression coming? scores and trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrancisvsGoljan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking it would be a great idea to track how NBMEs are going and what question bank people are using. It gives us a good way to figure out how we're doing individually. I know it's not based on just sdn and there are a ton of people. But it's better than nothing. Also how long you've been studying. I guess I'll start!

After 1 week of studying
USMLEWorld: used 15% and overall correct is 48%
NBME 1: 172.5 :scared:

I know this is not great but hopefully a good starting point. I spent 2 days on biochem and one on behavioral science and the other times just doing questions. my overall goal is a 230. we'll see how it goes....

comment are highly appreciated. thanks! I'll keep this post updated. I hope others do too.:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

3-4 more hours of studying and i think ill be done, test tomorrow :(

rock it!

I'm pretty pumped... just took my second practice test since starting dedicated study time.

NBME 6 (for school assessment in March, wayyy pre-studying) - 185
UWSA 1 - 5/31 (4 weeks to go) - 219
NBME 12 - 6/6 (3 weeks to go) - 235

I'm starting my second pass through FA, and pounding away at UW. Planning on taking UW2 and NBME 11 next Monday, then NBME 7 the week before. Goal is >240

good luck everybody:)

caving in and posting in here because I could use some advice (that, and I avoid talking scores with friends because, well, I like being friends with them :oops:)

4 weeks out took nbme 7: 214
last week, UWSA 1: 250 (pure luck, methinks)
today, nbme 11: 233

I have two weeks to go, anybody think that a 240 is achievable? I plan on doing nmbe 12, UWSA 2, and finishing UW between now and then. I'm getting maybe like a 70% on UW as of late, my scores keep fluctuating between 68% and 76%. Got about 600 questions left, plus about 1.5 passes of FA left on my schedule as well.

My personal advice (from someone who hasn't taken it yet) is that it is absolutely achievable and your schedule sounds good. Good luck.

Well I finally took my first NBME. On NBME 11 I missed 16 for a 640/254.

My progression looks like this:

6 weeks out pre-studing school CBBSA: 235
4.5 weeks out UWSA1: 260
4 weeks out UWSA2: 258
16 days out NBME 11: 254

Given the company line is that UWSA overestimates a little bit it looks like I've been on the same level for a while.

My plan for the rest of the time is to finish up my 900+ UW Q's and read through FA one more time, and maybe look over some neuro cross-sections and body MRI's close to the test.

I hope I can keep this level up and score similarly on the real thing! Good luck to everyone - this has been one hell of a ride. :luck:

P.S. I can't wait until I don't have to stare at another page of FA again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I finally took my first NBME. On NBME 11 I missed 16 for a 640/254.

My progression looks like this:

6 weeks out pre-studing school CBBSA: 235
4.5 weeks out UWSA1: 260
4 weeks out UWSA2: 258
16 days out NBME 11: 254

Given the company line is that UWSA overestimates a little bit it looks like I've been on the same level for a while.

My plan for the rest of the time is to finish up my 900+ UW Q's and read through FA one more time, and maybe look over some neuro cross-sections and body MRI's close to the test.

I hope I can keep this level up and score similarly on the real thing! Good luck to everyone - this has been one hell of a ride. :luck:

P.S. I can't wait until I don't have to stare at another page of FA again.
Haha nice job!

4/24 NBME 6 165
5/1 UWSA 1 186
5/8 NBME 11 193
5/15 UWSA 2 206
5/30 NBME 12 210
6/6 DIT predictive 231
6/6 NBME 7 224

I am happy that I was able to bring my score from laughable to decent. There were definitely a lot of dark moments in between. Just finished DIT yesterday. I took both the DIT and NBME 7 tests today to try to better simulate a full exam day. Postponed the test to the latest possible date for me, June 15. I'm going to read through firstaid again(ugh) then focus on my weaker subjects. I'll take the free 150 a couple days before game day hopefully for a confidence boost.

4/24 NBME 6 165
5/1 UWSA 1 186
5/8 NBME 11 193
5/15 UWSA 2 206
5/30 NBME 12 210
6/6 DIT predictive 231
6/6 NBME 7 224

I am happy that I was able to bring my score from laughable to decent. There were definitely a lot of dark moments in between. Just finished DIT yesterday. I took both the DIT and NBME 7 tests today to try to better simulate a full exam day. Postponed the test to the latest possible date for me, June 15. I'm going to read through firstaid again(ugh) then focus on my weaker subjects. I'll take the free 150 a couple days before game day hopefully for a confidence boost.

The last time through FA (post-DIT) for me has been the biggest boost to my UWorld Qbank % so far. I definitely feel like I've learned a lot from it (hopefully because I was primed with DIT?) Maybe just because it helps to go through everything?

Good luck, you will do great :)

4/24 NBME 6 165
5/1 UWSA 1 186
5/8 NBME 11 193
5/15 UWSA 2 206
5/30 NBME 12 210
6/6 DIT predictive 231
6/6 NBME 7 224

Props to you man....thats a terrific improvement. 224 is nothing to scoff at ( i think i remember you saying your goal was 220 too)....keep working hard and you should exceed that!

CBBSA before studying: 205
UWSA #1 (5/27): 216
UWSA#2 (6/1): 224
NBME #6 (today: 6/6): 217

ugh! Sad I went down again... can anyone comment on how NBME 6 stacks up to the USWAs? Or the other NBMEs? ;(

Alright, I'll jump on the bandwagon too. My progression has not been all that great, and I'm starting to get a little nervous at this point. My test is in a little under two weeks, next Saturday (June 18).

School based NBME assessment (pre-study): 155
NBME 6 (5/7): 191
UWSA 2 (5/21): 192
NBME 7 (5/29): 184 :(
UWSA 2: tomorrow
NBME 11/12: Saturday
Free 150: next monday

I was really disappointed when my score went down on the last NBME. At that point I was starting through my second pass of FA. At this point, I should be finishing up my 2nd pass through FA tomorrow. I have been scoring in the mid-upper 50's as of late on UWorld. I plan on just going through first aid again and really focusing on my weaknesses, and continue to go through Uworld doing 2-3 blocks of questions a day from now until exam day. Any advise? Does anyone think it may be possible for me to even break a 220 at this point? Thats really my goal right now (aside from not failing).

It's hard And the curve is pretty brutal. Check your # incorrect and see how that went from nbme to nbme. Try to look at your lowest concepts and go from there. And it's tough, but resist the urge to compare UWSA to an nbme, the scales are just so different it's just gets frustrating trying to make connections.

It's hard And the curve is pretty brutal. Check your # incorrect and see how that went from nbme to nbme. Try to look at your lowest concepts and go from there.
thanks day man... I will def. keep an eye on those incorrect questions, quantitatively. I did go over the progress report to look for things that were under the borderline and only had 2: Gen principles (WTH is that anyway? it seems all of the questions fit in that) and micro/imm. which I haven't studied yet... so I was a little taken aback and not sure what to do with this info.... it was like telling me... well u suck... but not really :?

5/23 (5 days into studying) NBME 5: 221
5/31 UWSA 1: 244
6/3 NBME 7: 231
6/6 UWSA 2: 256

Uworld 100% complete with a 69%

My plan is to go over all Uworld questions again as well as make 2 more passes through FA. In addition to taking NBME 6,11 and 12.

Is this too bold to do in 11 days? Maybe just do incorrects in Uworld?

Also, do you guys think 240 is a good score to strive for? I'm worried the UWSAs are over-predicting my score. I will say though on NBME 7 3 days ago I made a couple stupid errors that dropped me a total of 10 points (estimating)

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding to this question.... how does 12 compare to 11 compare to 7?

I have time to take 2 of the 3 so wondering which are best.

12 and 11 are the hardest (consensus I've seen). Some ppl say 12 is harder, some ppl say 11. More people sort of seem to say 12 is (but my personal experience is 11, so whatever).

7 was kinder to me (relatively speaking). Some people say it may be a good predictor? Who knows. Grading scale for 6 and 7 was recently changed.

None of the NBMEs are very forgiving relative to other predictors (UWSAs, free 150, etc.)

If I had to sum it up quick and dirty based on what I've seen.

12 and 11 are the hardest (consensus I've seen). Some ppl say 12 is harder, some ppl say 11. More people sort of seem to say 12 is (but my personal experience is 11, so whatever).

7 was kinder to me (relatively speaking). Some people say it may be a good predictor? Who knows. Grading scale for 6 and 7 was recently changed.

None of the NBMEs are very forgiving relative to other predictors (UWSAs, free 150, etc.)

If I had to sum it up quick and dirty based on what I've seen.

thanks. So basically if I choose to do 11/12 back to back it probably wont be pretty? lol. good luck on thursday btw...you will rock it.

I've been hearing from multiple classmates how brutal the curve is, so know that it is everyone.

Has anyone else been answering uworld questions and been thinking, "Man, I got HOSED on those" and then submitted to see a score much higher than expected? It feels very flukey to me, but at the same time it has been fairly consistent. I know one generates a lot of their own luck with stuff, but it puts me in a difficult position for improvement because retrospectively, a lot of the questions seemed obvious which makes it tough separate what I didn't know well enough from what I did know. In less cryptic terms, what I miss because of stupid mistakes versus what I got right from stupid guesses.

71% again on UWorld random timed. Seriously, this last pass through FA is the single best thing I have done for myself.

Just gotta keep it all in my poor, tired lil noggin until Thursday.

I've been hearing from multiple classmates how brutal the curve is, so know that it is everyone.

Has anyone else been answering uworld questions and been thinking, "Man, I got HOSED on those" and then submitted to see a score much higher than expected? It feels very flukey to me, but at the same time it has been fairly consistent. I know one generates a lot of their own luck with stuff, but it puts me in a difficult position for improvement because retrospectively, a lot of the questions seemed obvious which makes it tough separate what I didn't know well enough from what I did know. In less cryptic terms, what I miss because of stupid mistakes versus what I got right from stupid guesses.

Yeah the worse I feel about an exam (i.e. not knowing the answers), the better I do. Thus, I've decided that either way, I'm going to feel good about Step 1 ;-)

Alright, I'll jump on the bandwagon too. My progression has not been all that great, and I'm starting to get a little nervous at this point. My test is in a little under two weeks, next Saturday (June 18).

School based NBME assessment (pre-study): 155
NBME 6 (5/7): 191
UWSA 2 (5/21): 192
NBME 7 (5/29): 184 :(
UWSA 2: tomorrow
NBME 11/12: Saturday
Free 150: next monday

I was really disappointed when my score went down on the last NBME. At that point I was starting through my second pass of FA. At this point, I should be finishing up my 2nd pass through FA tomorrow. I have been scoring in the mid-upper 50's as of late on UWorld. I plan on just going through first aid again and really focusing on my weaknesses, and continue to go through Uworld doing 2-3 blocks of questions a day from now until exam day. Any advise? Does anyone think it may be possible for me to even break a 220 at this point? Thats really my goal right now (aside from not failing).

Update

UWSA 2: 214

I am so happy that I at least broke 210 this time. I was planning on taking NBME 11 or 12 next weekend but after all this talk on here about how difficult they both are, I'm a little hesitant, don't want to totally crush my moral a week before the exam.

Anyways, I'm feeling better now, and hopefully I can still pull off about a 220 on the real deal in 11 days...

Absolutely. It's redonkulous. I'll come out of a block felling great about it and get a 60%, while another block I'll feel like I got wrecked and get a 75%.

UW is playing with my head:confused:

OMG, I'm finally at the endstage of my study plan. When I started on this path, it seemed overwhelming and now I am done. Only one more day of review after this afternoon and I take the real deal. here are my prep results:

(weeks before test, name of test, percent, predicted score)
16, Exam Master Test 1, 65%, ?
16, Free 150 (downloaded), 79%, 237
14, Kaplan diagnostic, 65%, ?
7, nbme 1, 90%, 258
7, nbme 2, 88.5%, 256
3, nbme 3, 90%, 258
3, nbme 4, 89.5%, 257
3, USMLE consult scorrelator, 80%, 269
3, UWSA 1, 81%, 260
2, nbme 5, 93%, 260
2, nbme 6, 92.5%, 260
2, Practice 150 @ prometric test center, 91%, 262
1, nbme 7, 96%, 262
1, nbme 11, 93.5%, 261
1, nbme 12, 92%, 260
<1, UWSA 2, 90%, 265

Qbooks done:
NMS Step 1, 62%
Pretest Case, 74%
Lang Step 1, 72%
Kaplan Qbook, 76%

Qbanks done:
Kaplan, 74%
UsmleRx, 78%
UsmleConsult, 77%
Exam Master, 76%
UsmleWorld, 80%
Everything is first pass, random

My strategy from the beginning has been to do as many practice problems as possible and minimize my outside reading. I bought some BRS books, FA, and goljan but only read them when I needed more info to complement what I saw in the qbanks.

In the beginning, I knew nothing, but 18,000 questions later, I think I'm finally ready. Step 1, bring it on.

OMG, I'm finally at the endstage of my study plan. When I started on this path, it seemed overwhelming and now I am done. Only one more day of review after this afternoon and I take the real deal. here are my prep results:

7, nbme 1, 90%, 258
7, nbme 2, 88.5%, 256
3, nbme 3, 90%, 258
3, nbme 4, 89.5%, 257
3, UWSA 1, 81%, 260
2, nbme 5, 93%, 260
2, nbme 6, 92.5%, 260
1, nbme 7, 96%, 262
1, nbme 11, 93.5%, 261
1, nbme 12, 92%, 260
<1, UWSA 2, 90%, 265

Qbooks done:
NMS Step 1, 62%
Pretest Case, 74%
Lang Step 1, 72%
Kaplan Qbook, 76%

Qbanks done:
Kaplan, 74%
UsmleRx, 78%
UsmleConsult, 77%
Exam Master, 76%
UsmleWorld, 80%

My strategy from the beginning has been to do as many practice problems as possible and minimize my outside reading. I bought some BRS books, FA, and goljan but only read them when I needed more info to complement what I saw in the qbanks.

In the beginning, I knew nothing, but 18,000 questions later, I think I'm finally ready. Step 1, bring it on.

OH. MY.
:bow::bow:

I bow to you.

7, nbme 1, 90%, 258
7, nbme 2, 88.5%, 256
3, nbme 3, 90%, 258
3, nbme 4, 89.5%, 257
3, UWSA 1, 81%, 260
2, nbme 5, 93%, 260
2, nbme 6, 92.5%, 260
1, nbme 7, 96%, 262
1, nbme 11, 93.5%, 261
1, nbme 12, 92%, 260
<1, UWSA 2, 90%, 265

Qbooks done:
NMS Step 1, 62%
Pretest Case, 74%
Lang Step 1, 72%
Kaplan Qbook, 76%

Qbanks done:
Kaplan, 74%
UsmleRx, 78%
UsmleConsult, 77%
Exam Master, 76%
UsmleWorld, 80%

So THIS is what I was supposed to do all year -- 18,000 questions! I certainly didn't do that, but I do have 18,246 kills on Halo Reach since September 14th 2010 (funny, but not so funny now that I'm 8 days out from step 1...)

7, nbme 1, 90%, 258
7, nbme 2, 88.5%, 256
3, nbme 3, 90%, 258
3, nbme 4, 89.5%, 257
3, UWSA 1, 81%, 260
2, nbme 5, 93%, 260
2, nbme 6, 92.5%, 260
1, nbme 7, 96%, 262
1, nbme 11, 93.5%, 261
1, nbme 12, 92%, 260
<1, UWSA 2, 90%, 265

Qbooks done:
NMS Step 1, 62%
Pretest Case, 74%
Lang Step 1, 72%
Kaplan Qbook, 76%

Qbanks done:
Kaplan, 74%
UsmleRx, 78%
UsmleConsult, 77%
Exam Master, 76%
UsmleWorld, 80%

WOW, now that is some serious dedication, and some pretty awesome practice exam scores! Good luck, although it looks as if you don't need it anymore!

Thanks for posting this. I took most of my NBMEs offline so seeing a percentage helps gauge my performance. Good luck!

7, nbme 1, 90%, 258

So THIS is what I was supposed to do all year -- 18,000 questions! I certainly didn't do that, but I do have 18,246 kills on Halo Reach since September 14th 2010 (funny, but not so funny now that I'm 8 days out from step 1...)

Lol thats a mad number of kills. :laugh: I don't survive very long whenever I play halo now since i'm so out of practice. Haven't owned one of the games since halo 2.

Thanks for posting this. I took most of my NBMEs offline so seeing a percentage helps gauge my performance. Good luck!

Oh I did them offline too and used the following formula:

70.25-0.0000002068*(x*4)^3+0.0000938*(x*4)^2+0.3009*(x*4)

where x is your number correct out of 200. Don't know where its from or how accurate it is but its the only thing I found so don't take them at face value.

There was no way I was going to pay that much money to the nbme. I'm using the money to buy myself a nice vacation after this crap is over.

So my question is this: why didn't you move your test up when you were scoring in the high 250's 7 weeks ago? Was 7 weeks of studying worth 8 points?

edit: Ah, I see that was on NBME1 and 2. Still...

Oh I did them offline too and used the following formula:

70.25-0.0000002068*(x*4)^3+0.0000938*(x*4)^2+0.3009*(x*4)

where x is your number correct out of 200. Don't know where its from or how accurate it is but its the only thing I found so don't take them at face value.

There was no way I was going to pay that much money to the nbme. I'm using the money to buy myself a nice vacation after this crap is over.

For what it's worth, that equation only seems to work if you have a monstrously high score. Getting 92-93% of the questions right will give you ~260 with that equation as well as on the actual NBME practice exam scoring. However, when I got 88.5% on NBME 11 a couple days ago it was really about 244 but the equation put me at like 256 (way inflated)

Figured since I lurked this thread for the last two months I should finally contribute. Taking the beast tomorrow:

Used FA, RR, UW (75% correct first time through) to prep.

Went through FA about 2.5x (.5 being my weakest subjects)
Went through RR with class and once again for dedicated step 1 study.
UWorld was mostly done in the last two months since all I bought was a 2 month sub.
Haven't taken any practice tests (not enough money).
Took the free 150 yesterday got a 92%.

I'll update again tomorrow with my impressions.

So my question is this: why didn't you move your test up when you were scoring in the high 250's 7 weeks ago? Was 7 weeks of studying worth 8 points?

edit: Ah, I see that was on NBME1 and 2. Still...

Yeah they were the old nbmes, and the prediction was based off of a weird equation. Some of that time was also spent going through MKSAP to prep for 3rd year with the dual purpose of getting some of the clinical knowledge that is sometimes tested on step 1. I built all that time in for studying in my plan so why not use it? I think the regret would have been much higher if I moved up my test and then didn't get the score I wanted.

Plus, I promised myself that this would be the last time I would study this hard for an exam ever.

This makes me sad ... oh well thanks anyways ... for what it's worth I just took NBME 12 online and missing 21 = 245.

For what it's worth, that equation only seems to work if you have a monstrously high score. Getting 92-93% of the questions right will give you ~260 with that equation as well as on the actual NBME practice exam scoring. However, when I got 88.5% on NBME 11 a couple days ago it was really about 244 but the equation put me at like 256 (way inflated)

Urgh even buying practice NBMEs gives me palpitations. Just bought one and I'm kind of warm all over. What am I gonna do on test day. I remember that when I was doing the MCAT, I constantly kept thinking "omg this will decide what happens". Eeeeks.

Urgh even buying practice NBMEs gives me palpitations. Just bought one and I'm kind of warm all over. What am I gonna do on test day. I remember that when I was doing the MCAT, I constantly kept thinking "omg this will decide what happens". Eeeeks.

It's ok, you've already bought Step 1 ;). I don't think that's refundable any more :p.

Yay 70% on my latest UW block. I am getting there. Getting there.

Still irritated my school gives such little time to study, but whatcha gonna do.

Gonna do it, move on with my life. On Thursday!

I paid for the Free 150 or whatever to take at the prometric center because I wanted to get my nerves down as much as possible. I highly recommend it and don't regret the $50 at all.

It's ok, you've already bought Step 1 ;). I don't think that's refundable any more :p.

Yay 70% on my latest UW block. I am getting there. Getting there.

Still irritated my school gives such little time to study, but whatcha gonna do.

Gonna do it, move on with my life. On Thursday!

that's it, confidence in what you know! don't focus on what you could have done or what you don't know. you've done your time and it will show on test day. 70% on UW isn't some random chance, goodluck!

I paid for the Free 150 or whatever to take at the prometric center because I wanted to get my nerves down as much as possible. I highly recommend it and don't regret the $50 at all.

yea...i never get nerves, but i was actually nervous CALLING THE FRIGGIN CENTER to confirm my test, so who knows come test day. me thinks this practice run might've been a good idea haha...

that's it, confidence in what you know! don't focus on what you could have done or what you don't know. you've done your time and it will show on test day. 70% on UW isn't some random chance, goodluck!

Thank you!!! I'm going to go in pumped about this! I gave it everything I had, I can't ask for more than that even if it does end up being something awful :D.

Sounds like you're gonna rock it, Day Man! :) Go in and demolish that test!

Just took my first practice exams with two weeks to go.
UWSA #2: 242

I am taking UWSA #1 Friday and going over incorrect uw qs and rapid first aid.

Good luck to all taking tomorrow!!

Thank you!!! I'm going to go in pumped about this! I gave it everything I had, I can't ask for more than that even if it does end up being something awful :D.

Sounds like you're gonna rock it, Day Man! :) Go in and demolish that test!

it's debatable haha. i've gotten reaaaaaaaal lucky on the nbme's and it makes me nervous about the real deal. but honestly, i would like to just take this test and get it over with, i'm not sure how much more i'll 'know' at this point.

did nbme 6 few days back and scored 440 (207), w/ 2.5 weeks into studying.

Still have ~5 weeks for my exam, so I'm really trying to figure out how i should proceed. I thought nbme6 was ok, and looking @ the answers i've gotten wrong, I could've gotten at least 40-50% right w/ more studying/memorizing. I Knew the concepts, just haven't memorized them well enough.

My previous NBME5 was a 460.

What can I do to improve my score? I have another 800 UW q's to do and hoping to go over FA (thoroughly) twice.

Advice would be appreciated.

How did that work out for you? I ended up with 89% (88, 92, 88). I thought it was as hard as the NBME's that I've taken

Thats strange. My NBMEs are in the 245 range (well below yours) and I got a 92% (90, 92, 94) on the free 150 at the prometric center. I thought the free 150 was quite a bit easier than the NBMEs.

The difference between the two percentages are just a couple of guesses though so who knows.

How did that work out for you? I ended up with 89% (88, 92, 88). I thought it was as hard as the NBME's that I've taken

Just finished 12; probably missed about 5 stupid questions by completely overthinking them and picking the straight up doofus answer.

Anyway, got 45/44/44/48 for a total of 181/200. Anybody know what score that comes out to? I think it's around 248 maybe

Just finished 12; probably missed about 5 stupid questions by completely overthinking them and picking the straight up doofus answer.

Anyway, got 45/44/44/48 for a total of 181/200. Anybody know what score that comes out to? I think it's around 248 maybe

The NBME's tell you right there don't they?