How's everyone hanging in there with the Match coming up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matched Psychiatry! Now for the wait til Friday. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Successfully matched anesthesia! T-minus 27 hours 7 minutes.

Reactions: 7 users
Do they not tell you where you've marched until this Friday? Just that you've matched or not matched your selected specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they not tell you where you've marched until this Friday? Just that you've matched or not matched your selected specialty?

They tell you that you've matched to a speciality "somewhere" and you find out at which hospital this Friday (when everyone opens their envelope at the same time). Hope everyone gets their top choice tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
The wait is painful, probably even worse if you had one field and a backup on your ROL. You won't even know the specialty until tomorrow.
The system is defunked and archaic, imo.

As an aside: I feel immensely for those who won't even snag a pgy1 spot. I can't imagine the stress of that with 350K in loans...:(

The system is defunked and archaic, imo.

Seems like you just don't understand it. The reason they tell you that you matched on Monday and don't tell you where until Friday is because SOAP happens in the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like you just don't understand it. The reason they tell you that you matched on Monday and don't tell you where until Friday is because SOAP happens in the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I understand it just fine. I wasn't referencing the SOAP or this week's timeline specifically. Thanks for your input, though, doc :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I ended up at UAMS for Psychiatry! Pretty excited as my family is in Arkansas!

Reactions: 4 users
Ended up very high on my list, really amazed and honored. Saying where will basically give away my identity, so I'll hold off on that.

I want to thank all of you on here for the advice, motivation, etc. This has really been a great resource for me throughout the last 5+ years.

Reactions: 12 users
Ended up very high on my list, really amazed and honored. Saying where will basically give away my identity, so I'll hold off on that.

I want to thank all of you on here for the advice, motivation, etc. This has really been a great resource for me throughout the last 5+ years.

Congrats!!!! Stay active on forums plzz, we need you! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats! And you add a significant amount of quality content!

The reason why no one wants to post location is because we already know what school they go to. The ones that do post, we don't know their schools. Hence keeping themselves anonymous.

Reactions: 3 users
So it technically happened. The "pre-accreditation" designation is actually a way to get around it created by the merger. So as long as programs are pre-accredited (i.e. they applied), then applicants can apply for advanced or fellowship positions based on the requirements prior to the change. If you are in an AOA program that is not pre-accredited and doesn't gain either accreditation or pre-accreditation, then you actually can't apply to most ACGME fellowships as based on the 2016 common program requirements (or whatever its called).

Like I mention above though, its not really clear what's going to happen post-2020. After June 30th 2020 "pre-accreditation" will no longer exist, so its not really clear whether graduates of programs that failed to complete accreditation would be able to apply for fellowships in say the 2021 fellowship app cycle. Its not clear. They imply that to be the case, but don't directly answer it in any of the documents I saw.

So this will really only affect people that finish residency during the transition while their programs are pre-accredited, but then their programs fail to get initial accreditation and close, and those same people are applying after June 30th 2020 (e.g. for say the 2021 or on cycles). People in that, what I expect to be rare situation, would not be able to apply for ACGME fellowships based on the common requirements released for 2016.

Now keep in mind though, that these are all the technical requirements. The ACGME actually leaves a lot up to the discretion of the programs whether they would define an applicant from a non-accredited as having "special qualifications" that make them desirable for the fellowship. So basically its up to programs individually. Specialty boards though may have different requirements.

The safest thing to do is to go to a program that is ACGME accredited (full or initial), or to go to a pre-accredited program with the intention of applying for fellowship/advanced positions prior to June 30th 2020. Now obviously if the programs gain pre-accreditation by the time you apply for fellowship or the program gains initial accreditation you'll also be fine.

I'll have to dig through an email as I had to contact the AOBIM and ABIM recently about board certification.

I'm coming from an AOA residency and graduating an AOA fellowship that hasn't yet gotten pre-accreditation status and will be doing an additional ACGME fellowship. So it's not just limited to being from a program in pre-accreditation status. That said I will not be eligible for ABIM sub-specialty board certification and will have to take the be AOBIM sub specialty boards, even though it is an ACGME program. I'm hoping that issue is revisited and that ABIM opens up some sort of pathway for those of us coming from prior AOA training.