Howdy! Newbie here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Runtita

Goddess on the Move
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all!

I'm applying to KCOM for 2004. I am a research coordinator and a mom with 2 kids. I have an MS in Biology from 1996 and just got a wild hair two years ago and decided to try for med school.

I took the MCAT Saturday and I was the fogey in the room...at 32!

It's nice to be here, and the site and people seem great. I hope to get to know everyone better. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome. I too am an old-foggy looking to get into med school, I'm 30, taking the Mcat this august, and hoping to get into TCOM. Is KCOM the only school you'll apply to? I ask only b/c I'm torn between how many schools to apply to, potentially moving, and out-of-state tuition (wow!). Yet, I feel like if I only apply to TCOM, then I'll dramatically limit my options for entrance this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I'm only trying for KCOM. I live in NE MO and we like it here. My strategy is to keep applying until I get into KCOM. ;) Plus, I work there. (shhh!!!!!)

If you're going to apply to only one school, just be sure that you have all of your ducks in a row...good GPA/MCAT, get apps in early, good LORs, etc.

I only applied to OSU and it worked out well for me...it is risky, though.

Dr.Mom,

Do you know if OSU has any programs that would allow a TX resident to pay OSU's in-state resident tuition (maybe into the 2nd+ years)?

I know SW here in Texas has a program for it, I was just wondering if you'd ever heard of anything like that for OSU??

Thanks a Million,
DcK

DcK

I'm afraid there is no such thing. To get in-state tuition you have to either:

1. work full time in OK for at least 12 months prior to school starting
2. marry an OK resident

I have an out-of-state classmate who's wife works full-time & he's being told that he can't get in-state tuition even though his wife now qualifies as a resident. :rolleyes: Don't understand why not.

On the other hand, out-of-state tuition here isn't really that different from the tuition at the private DO schools.

DrMom,

Thanks for the advice. My grades are fine, as long as the length of time since I took the courses is okay. I got my MS in 1996, BS in 1994. Also, I was a cytogenetic technologist for 4 years before I became a research coordinator. And now, I work with patients and docs. every day (for the past 2 yrs), so I have a good clinical background. I also help to moderate a breastfeeding forum at ProMoM online and am a member of my local breastfeeding peer support group. Oh, and I recently volunteered to join the local Medical Reserve Corps that is forming in my area.

So it's all up to my MCAT scores at this point... I'm having my thesis advisor do one LOE and I can't decide to ask my boss or the PI on my research project...probably the PI since he is a DO.

About the personal statement- Is there a good reference for what has worked for others in the past? Especially for non-trad. applicants?

Muchas gracias!

KCOM WOOT!!@ :clap:

Good luck with the application process, sounds like you've got "all your ducks a row"! Hopefully I'll be joining you up there at KCOM in 2005 :)

Cheers!

Originally posted by DrMom
DcK

I'm afraid there is no such thing. To get in-state tuition you have to either:

1. work full time in OK for at least 12 months prior to school starting
2. marry an OK resident

I have an out-of-state classmate who's wife works full-time & he's being told that he can't get in-state tuition even though his wife now qualifies as a resident. :rolleyes: Don't understand why not.

On the other hand, out-of-state tuition here isn't really that different from the tuition at the private DO schools.

she speaks the truth :)

i was accepted at OSU and KCOM-- tuition is nearly identical. I would encourage you to at least look at OSU, talk to some students, get a feel for the place. I'm finishing up my third year here at OSU, and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

good luck

I think it's funny that you're applying to medical school at 30 and think that this is enough to grant yourself the title of old-fogey. I think you'll have to be older and crotchetier to get that title. You guys'll be fine! Don't let who you see taking the MCATs make you think there won't be anyone over 22 in your class.

Good luck with everything.

Good for you Runtita! I did the same and applied to UNECOM and it all worked out...except at 38. My mindset was the same as yours. I'm sure you will be fine.

By Runtita
About the personal statement- Is there a good reference for what has worked for others in the past? Especially for non-trad. applicants?
No easy answer to that one. The space you have for the AACOMAS personal statement is pretty restrictive, about half a page. So you have very little room to make an impact. What you don't want to do is make it into a resume or a dry account of what you've done in the past. Concentrate in trying to let your personality come out a little and explain how past experiences have made you feel. You want the Adcoms to get to know you and why you choose D.O.

Old fogies!!?? Puhlease!

I'm starting COMP in a few months and I'm 41. I'm as old as the hills and twice as dusty! I must be a turbo-fogie.

My MCAT was pretty average (25S) and my undergrad science grades were from the mid 80's. My one ace in the hole is that I'm a podiatrist and I have a lot of experience. Well, ok, I'm also remarkably charming and witty in interviews. Other than that, I'd say that DO schools love the older student. They know that you're serious and that you've probably accomplished some difficult things in life (like raising two kids).

Persistence pays off.