Howard vs. VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howard or VCOM

• Howard

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • VCOM

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorcas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'd love to receive feedback about what people's thoughts are about going to Howard vs. VCOM for school. I'm in the midst of having to make a final decision soon but don't really have a clear direction. I'm from the DC area, which would make Howard certainly easier to transition, but my impression from the interview was a bit tainted. The staff didn't seem very friendly or organized compared to the VCOM staff and VCOM's facility was more up-to-date. I'm on the fence between MD/DO as well since OMM sounds really interesting but based on my research it seems DOs can have a harder time getting into competitive residency positions. I've heard mixed reviews about the education at Howard and although the interview info from VCOM sounds nice, its still a relatively new school. Could people let me know their thoughts on the schools specifically as well as the differences of DO/MDs in the real world for someone who isn't interested in general practice (thus a speciality). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to hear people's responses as well as their poll...

Hello!

I'd love to receive feedback about what people's thoughts are about going to Howard vs. VCOM for school. I'm in the midst of having to make a final decision soon but don't really have a clear direction. I'm from the DC area, which would make Howard certainly easier to transition, but my impression from the interview was a bit tainted. The staff didn't seem very friendly or organized compared to the VCOM staff and VCOM's facility was more up-to-date. I'm on the fence between MD/DO as well since OMM sounds really interesting but based on my research it seems DOs can have a harder time getting into competitive residency positions. I've heard mixed reviews about the education at Howard and although the interview info from VCOM sounds nice, its still a relatively new school. Could people let me know their thoughts on the schools specifically as well as the differences of DO/MDs in the real world for someone who isn't interested in general practice (thus a speciality). Thanks!

While there are no guarantees in life, including what residency you will match into no matter where you go to school, I think statistically you will have a better chance specializing at most MD vs DO schools. This varies on the specific programs, of course, neither of which I've researched since I didn't apply to either of those schools. I think you being from the DC area is a bonus for Howard, as well. That's why I voted Howard. Sorry you didn't like the interview day. Did you attend second look?

I haven't, but have talked with some of the students I met on interview day and they all seem really happy with the school, so I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks for your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.