Howard Hughes Med Fellowship - Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started thinking about this program and have some ideas as to what kind of research I might want to do, but am unsure if I will be able to get through the app process on time.

How long/tedious is the application process (ie finding a mentor all the way through to submitting an app)?

I am on my internal medicine clerkship until Dec 19 at a remote hospital that is a 9 hour drive away from my home campus (where I hope to find a mentor), which complicates things a bit, as I am unsure I will ever be able to meet face-to-face with a researcher of interest.

General tips on how to solicit a particular researcher you are interested in working with are appreciated as well.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just started thinking about this program and have some ideas as to what kind of research I might want to do, but am unsure if I will be able to get through the app process on time.

How long/tedious is the application process (ie finding a mentor all the way through to submitting an app)?

I am on my internal medicine clerkship until Dec 19 at a remote hospital that is a 9 hour drive away from my home campus (where I hope to find a mentor), which complicates things a bit, as I am unsure I will ever be able to meet face-to-face with a researcher of interest.

General tips on how to solicit a particular researcher you are interested in working with are appreciated as well.

Thanks
Check the FAQ.

1. Past participants tell you how long the process is.
2. There's a link to the HHMI website and the app, which will tell you how much time you'll have to apply.
3. Past articipants tell you how to ID a mentor.

Check the FAQ.

1. Past participants tell you how long the process is.
2. There's a link to the HHMI website and the app, which will tell you how much time you'll have to apply.
3. Past articipants tell you how to ID a mentor.

I'm sorry RxnMan, I should have explained myself more clearly. I have read the entire FAQ and the HH Med Fellowship application before several times. I know when the deadline is - less than 2 months away.

From what I can see Pinkertinkle started the process of identifying a mentor at least a year in advance by talking to a faculty member at school.

What I am really asking is if there is anyone else who has done this who decided to apply at the last minute, and whether based on their experience they think that setting up a research plan (from scratch and long-distance) over a month and a half during clerkships with q5call might be doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe a large part of the HHMI committee's review when deciding is how much attention you'll receive from your potential PI. It will help greatly if your potential PI has had fellows before and has a good "record" at HHMI. I would encourage you to seek out someone like that to maximize your chances of getting the fellowship.

I'm sorry RxnMan, I should have explained myself more clearly. I have read the entire FAQ and the HH Med Fellowship application before several times. I know when the deadline is - less than 2 months away.

From what I can see Pinkertinkle started the process of identifying a mentor at least a year in advance by talking to a faculty member at school.

What I am really asking is if there is anyone else who has done this who decided to apply at the last minute, and whether based on their experience they think that setting up a research plan (from scratch and long-distance) over a month and a half during clerkships with q5call might be doable.

swman, I'm not sure how useful my post will be but I will speak from my experience as I am also applying to the HHMI fellowship this year. During the summer I requested a brochure from HHMI about the two programs they sponsor to get a better idea about them besides what they have on the website. I read through them to get an idea of who the mentors were and what the fellows did after their fellowship. I also went to the HHMI website to look at the list of HHMI Investigators. Based on this info I was able to find a mentor who I felt comfortable with, whose research I was interested in, and who had a track record with HHMI. It also helped that he was considering sponsoring a student after HHMI asked if he had thought about it since he was a HHMI fellow during medical school.

I know that you are busy with rotations, but if this is something that you really want to do, do it! As Pinkertinkle wrote, I would recommend finding someone who has a strong track record with HHMI. Just about all of the labs I contacted were more than happy to talk to me about their labs. I guess it is a matter of finding the right fit for your interests, and what your career/research interests are. You shouldn't look upon this as just 1-yr experience, but rather a 1yr experience that will initiate a project that you would continue on later as a physician scientist. I think you should give it a try.

swman, I'm not sure how useful my post will be but I will speak from my experience as I am also applying to the HHMI fellowship this year. During the summer I requested a brochure from HHMI about the two programs they sponsor to get a better idea about them besides what they have on the website. I read through them to get an idea of who the mentors were and what the fellows did after their fellowship. I also went to the HHMI website to look at the list of HHMI Investigators. Based on this info I was able to find a mentor who I felt comfortable with, whose research I was interested in, and who had a track record with HHMI. It also helped that he was considering sponsoring a student after HHMI asked if he had thought about it since he was a HHMI fellow during medical school.

I know that you are busy with rotations, but if this is something that you really want to do, do it! As Pinkertinkle wrote, I would recommend finding someone who has a strong track record with HHMI. Just about all of the labs I contacted were more than happy to talk to me about their labs. I guess it is a matter of finding the right fit for your interests, and what your career/research interests are. You shouldn't look upon this as just 1-yr experience, but rather a 1yr experience that will initiate a project that you would continue on later as a physician scientist. I think you should give it a try.

Thanks for the encouragement Harv! I decided to apply, but go against the grain and go with a mentor at my home institution who is not a HHMI mentor but does have tons of publications and external grant support. Her work is fascinating and I know I would be happy doing it which is the most important thing to me. I'll let you know how it turns out. Good luck!