Howard Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still fairly new to this board. I am wondering if some 3rd, 4th yr or grads of Howard could give their honest opinion of the school and its curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also love an honest opinion from current or former HU Med Students. Is the disorganization I've repeatedly run into with the admissions office (as nice as the workers are and bless them for their hard work, but it's been a headache and a half for me to get things right with them), is this something that ends after the application process? Or, is disorganization and slow responses from the administration something that you have to deal with if you chose to attend HU. I've heard mixed reviews from people who go/went there and people who work there...

Still fairly new to this board. I am wondering if some 3rd, 4th yr or grads of Howard could give their honest opinion of the school and its curriculum.

Im not a 3rd or 4th year, but as a 2nd year I can say that I love the curriculum. We are systems based through the basic sciences, which means we go over every topic for each individual system. Right now we're in Respiratory Path, so we start with a review of respiratory physiology from 1st year and then do the micro, patho, and pharm for Respiratory. And in first year during Respiratory, we would do the physiology, histology, anatomy and embryology.

There's an exam, written and practical in 1st year and in 2nd year theres a small group exam and a written exam, one in-house exam and a cumulative NBME exam for the unit (PM for a more detailed description).

I like this type of curriculum because when I'm doing practice questions I don't have to limit myself to just path or just pharm. So when the NBME comes around its a review of the entire section so I get a large number of passes through the material throughout the year which helps for board prep and will make review easier because our First Aids will already be annotated.

If you have any more questions, PM me and I can answer them for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also love an honest opinion from current or former HU Med Students. Is the disorganization I've repeatedly run into with the admissions office (as nice as the workers are and bless them for their hard work, but it's been a headache and a half for me to get things right with them), is this something that ends after the application process? Or, is disorganization and slow responses from the administration something that you have to deal with if you chose to attend HU. I've heard mixed reviews from people who go/went there and people who work there...

I think the disorganization you perceive comes from the fact that the office has to deal with a high volume of applications and with only a small staff things can be overwhelming in the office. Also Howard is notoriously slow with their admissions and I really can't give you a reason why. I can tell you that things are alot better (at least from my experience) once you are a student.

I'm an alum and I can tell you that Ruralmd is correct. There is a small staff with an overwhelming amount of things to get through. They do an admirable job with what they have to work with.

With that being said, when I applied to medical school, I kept very, very precise records. I had a folder for each school. On the folder front, I wrote every deadline and checked off things as they were done. (You have to meet and exceed every deadline in trying to get into medical school). I put a copy of every piece of correspondence that had to do with that school into the folder. I also dated when I received the correspondence and what needed to be done.

When I received an interview invitation, I put the date, my airline tickets and hotel information in that folder too. I also put my driving directions (in case the cab got lost) to my hotel, from the hotel to school and airport etc. I kept a master calender for each school too.

I put a copy of every secondary (complete with certified mail receipt), my financial aid information and my personal statement in each folder. When I went on an interview, I took copies of everything from each folder with me. If a school needed a copy of my secondary, I could produce it complete with signed receipt and dates. I also checked with the secretaries in each admissions office to make sure that my folders had everything before I left the site.

My folders were loads of work but they saved me plenty of headaches. Howard didn't have a the original copy of my secondary but I produced my copy (complete with the receipt that they had signed) and they were able to make sure my application was complete before I left on the day of my interview.

I also got every piece of financial aid done and submitted (long before deadlines) because I didn't want anything to delay my money coming it. Again, this was invaluable for me because when I received my acceptance, I received my scholarship notice too.

No medical school gets admissions done as fast as the applicants would like. It's a slow and tedious process that is largely out of your hands after you have submitted things. The folks at Howard do their best and I am living proof that you can go places from Howard and have an awesome career. They are totally dedicated to getting the very best for their students.

At some point, they may get the admissions office some much needed assistance and staff but for now, be prepared for things to move quite slowly.

The day of the interview was well put together. I think people need to keep in mind if you are interviewed by a MD they are between patients so you may have to wait a little. The only mishaps were at the beginning with the computer system. Some one on the commitee says that Ms. Walk reads every last application, so that can not be easy. Some school have a GPA and MCAT cut off so that limits the apps right there but since HUCM is trying to look at the whole person you incresed the amount of apps to go through

Ive heard that they can be disorganized quite often (I think they have he most students), but at least they're giving AA chances when no one else will.

Amen brotha sista whatever you are. I know some people that only had one admission, and it was Howard. When their stats were reviewed by other schools they were automatically rejected because they did not meet GPA or MCAT requirements.

Ive heard that they can be disorganized quite often (I think they have he most students), but at least they're giving AA chances when no one else will.

I'm nervous about Howard now. I recently interviewed and was so busy taking everything in that I feel like I didn't really advocate that it is my top choice. You know in subtle little ways.

Well it wasn't walking in to the place...it hit me about 1.5 hours into my long drive home. :rolleyes:

What do I do...Letter of intent? Is it too soon? Are LOI typically for waitlisted students? I really want to go to this school.

Do a letter of intent it can not hurt. They will either save it or throw it in the garbage, but at least you gave it your all. Good luck:xf::xf:

I'm nervous about Howard now. I recently interviewed and was so busy taking everything in that I feel like I didn't really advocate that it is my top choice. You know in subtle little ways.

Well it wasn't walking in to the place...it hit me about 1.5 hours into my long drive home. :rolleyes:

What do I do...Letter of intent? Is it too soon? Are LOI typically for waitlisted students? I really want to go to this school.

Is that so? That's a rather bold statement to make. There are plenty of schools out there "giving AAs chances," otherwise there would be no AAs at said institutions. This isn't the early 1900s where HBCUs were the only schools AAs could get into... It's great that they generate so many URM physicians, but I think there's still room for improvement (as there is with any institution or human being).

Is that so? That's a rather bold statement to make. There are plenty of schools out there "giving AAs chances," otherwise there would be no AAs at said institutions. This isn't the early 1900s where HBCUs were the only schools AAs could get into... It's great that they generate so many URM physicians, but I think there's still room for improvement (as there is with any institution or human being).

Notice I used the word "When" meaning that yes AA can get accepted to schools other than HBCUs but alot of times "When" they don't get accepted to a non-HBCU they can turn to an HBCU:idea:.

Amen brotha sista whatever you are. I know some people that only had one admission, and it was Howard. When their stats were reviewed by other schools they were automatically rejected because they did not meet GPA or MCAT requirements.

100% Guy

I believe we have differing views as to what should be the purpose of HBCUs...

Again brotha preach it you are right. It is great that we are getting into other schools, but that was not always the case and now most schools do not have a lot of color in the incoming class. We want to believe that we have arrived, but I do not.... I believe we are ARRIVING..

Notice I used the word "When" meaning that yes AA can get accepted to schools other than HBCUs but alot of times "When" they don't get accepted to a non-HBCU they can turn to an HBCU:idea:.

I believe we have differing views as to what should be the purpose of HBCUs...

My mother graduated from Prairie View A&M in Texas 1984 and I'm attending Morehouse as you can see from my logo. HBCUs are apart of the history of my family. I wasn't at all trying to say that HBCUs purpose is to be a back up plan for AA who don't get accepted to "less" black medical schools (if thats what you were thinking.) I re-read my post and it seems like I was trying to say that. I personally choose Morehouse for undergrad as my first choice and will definitely chose for Morehouse for medical school as my first choice even if I get accepted to John Hopkins! -call me crazy, but thats me:D

Howard was my #1 all along. I would have come to Howard over any medical school in the country and I don't regret my decision at all! I love this place! If I could do it all over again HUCM would still be my #1!

hiya

we have similiar stats and I am a nurse as well.... I think that you may have a better time if you apply earlier but you never know....but if you can afford to do it twice then go for it... and if it doesn't work out well for you this year...then you know what you can do differently next year! take a look at my md apps...we are very similiar! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!:luck::luck:

you can ask me any advice because I am a nurse....and if you read through SDN some ppl say that nurses have a hard time getting into med school...I can give you a real perpective on it :)

Mel:)

Hi, I am glad to find someone who was a nurse and pursuing a career in medicine. I am a nursing student and will graduate in May 2011. Then I am planning to work as a nurse for a year or two then apply for medical school in the US (Howard and others). However, I heard that it's tough to get into medical schools for nurses. So, I'm wondering if that is true and do you think working as nurse for a year or two is a good idea or may be more years?

Last edited:
Hi, I am glad to find someone who was a nurse and pursuing a career in medicine. I am a nursing student and will graduate in May 2011. Then I am planning to work as a nurse for a year or two then apply for medical school in the US (Howard and others). However, I heard that it's tough to get into medical schools for nurses. So, I'm wondering if that is true and do you think working as nurse for a year or two is a good idea or may be more years?

The question that will be asked is why did you go to nursing school when you wanted to be a physician. You should go to nursing school to be a nurse not as a means to becoming a physician so you should have a very good reason why after only a year you "decided" that being a physician is what you want to do. All of the former nurses at my school (Howard) were nurses for around 8-10 years before they applied to medical school (n=2 of ~400 students in the program)