how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowcreeks

Snowcreeks
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take GRE first (then GRE subject test), the MCAT... I also plan to do research every summer til I graduate.. how can I do it? (sorry, panic kicked in) I guess I'll take GRE first since I haven't completed organic chem. I just feel that I'll have a harder time study during school... any good suggestion?

Is the biology portion of MCAT similar to the GRE biology subject test? Anyone know?

one more question, after 7 years of MD/PhD, do you have to do post-doc and/or residency? What happens if you forgo either one?

Members don't see this ad.

snowcreeks said:
I plan to take GRE first (then GRE subject test), the MCAT... I also plan to do research every summer til I graduate.. how can I do it? (sorry, panic kicked in) I guess I'll take GRE first since I haven't completed organic chem. I just feel that I'll have a harder time study during school... any good suggestion?

If you are really determined to get into a MSTP, why do you want to take GRE? You don't need GRE to apply for MSTPs. But it's another story if you also want to apply for PhD programs.

If you find it difficult juggling between school and test preparation, you can always finish school first, then prepare for MCAT (or GRE). That is, if you don't mind taking one or two years off. (Being a big slacker, I took two years off :sleep: )

snowcreeks said:
Is the biology portion of MCAT similar to the GRE biology subject test? Anyone know?
I don't know for sure, but I've always thought that the biology in MCAT is very different from the one in GRE... Anyone cares to elaborate on this?

snowcreeks said:
one more question, after 7 years of MD/PhD, do you have to do post-doc and/or residency? What happens if you forgo either one?

I think most MSTP graduates go into residency (most into medicine, path, or ped), some go into post-doc directly. I've also heard some people pick a subspecialty that has a very strong research component in it, so it's kinda like a combination of residency and post-doc... Ask Neuronix about this....

Bottom line: You should keep your undergrad research strong. Maintain a good GPA :thumbup: . Based on your post, I think you're probably a sophomore. It's a bit early to worry about MCAT (or GRE for that matter).

To Neuronix, I finally got a one-bedroom in Philly. 1.5 block from where you live now. :laugh: (I hate apt hunting...)

How do you know I'm a sophomore? Wow!

Can you explain what are "medicine, path, or ped" I think I know what medicine is, but path & ped (pediatrics?)

Members don't see this ad :)
since my SDS gel is running sooooooo slowly....

1. because I took O-Chem in sophomore year.
2. path = pathology, and yes, ped = pediatrics.

ImmunoANT said:
I think most MSTP graduates go into residency (most into medicine, path, or ped), some go into post-doc directly. I've also heard some people pick a subspecialty that has a very strong research component in it, so it's kinda like a combination of residency and post-doc... Ask Neuronix about this....

To Neuronix, I finally got a one-bedroom in Philly. 1.5 block from where you live now. :laugh: (I hate apt hunting...)

I don't know much about the GRE because I never took it. I agree with what ImmunoANT said though, why bother taking it?

So the stats I posted in another forum show that >95% of MD/PhDs do a residency. As for which residencies people choose, try this link: Traditionally, the MD/PhD friendly residencies have been Medicine, Pediatrics, and Pathology, but these days MD/PhDs are increasingly moving away from those specialties. This concerns some people, but that conversation is beyond the scope of this thread.

One way to combine research and medicine and residency is to go through one of the medicine "fast tracks". This way you do a specialty of internal medicine that's normally done as a fellowship (cardio, endocrine, heme or heme/onc, rheumatology, etc...) along with the general IM residency with a strong research component and shave a year off doing them separately. I'm not sure that fast tracks exist in pediatrics, but you can do similar things in peds and do subspecialties in peds with research. Pathology is very much a research based specialty, especially if you choose to do research within pathology. Because pathology is so molecular, many believe it best blends with molecular biology, which comprises the vast majority of medically-related basic science research.

You may not know what Pathology entails. Try this link: http://asip.uthscsa.edu/PATH_CAREER/ASIP_BROCHURE.html

About your apartment ImmunoANT, what corner is it closest to exactly? How much was it if you don't mind my asking? Did you look at it before you signed the lease? I'm moving to 13th and Spruce myself, and sharing a 1BR with my girlfriend. I'm tired of this area of Center City, but it's still not a bad place to live for most!

First of all, don't panic! Your plan sounds fine for MSTP prep. As immuno has said, you should focus most on your undergrad research. You can also do research during the school year, so that you can work on one big project rather than dividing your time into summers and not really accomplishing anything (unless you happen into a lab at a fortuitous time).

Regarding tests: I've taken the MCAT and GRE, though not a subject test. The GRE general test is the easiest of the bunch. Unless you need a perfect score all you will really need to do is to take some practice tests from ets (they are free) to get a feel for the computer format. You can also take it pretty much anytime. The MCAT requires some prep, as you are going to want to score well (34 and above is a good goal), though many people do get into MSTPs with less. From what I have heard of GRE subject tests, they are extremely difficult, so you may want to save that one for last, after you have studied for and taken the easier MCAT bio section.

Finally, if this all seems like too much to do while an undergrad, I second immuno and say: take time off after undergrad! It's not a race. If you can focus on research as an undergrad (15hrs+ a week during school, full time during summer) and make great grades (especially in upper div) you will be in a strong position for MSTPs. Taking some time to nail tests after that won't make your chances worse, and you could do something really great with that year, like travel, play in a band, learn a new language, get published with your lab, etc etc.

If you don't do residency, you can't practice. Some people who only want to do research go this way, though it does limit your options. You'll probably want/need a postdoc if you are going into research. Yeah, that's several more years (after the mstp 7-8) between res and postdoc.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Neuronix said:
....what corner is it closest to exactly? How much was it if you don't mind my asking? Did you look at it before you signed the lease? I'm moving to 13th and Spruce myself, and sharing a 1BR with my girlfriend. I'm tired of this area of Center City, but it's still not a bad place to live for most!

It's on Pine right in the middle between 22nd and 23rd. 950$/mo plus electricity and heat (I know, it's kinda pricey but I really like it). And YES, I did check out the apt in person before I signed it. I came up to the Philly last Saturday (incidentally, I ran into Kunal who gave me a long long direction and I ended up calling a cab instead), having to see 10+ apts, I must have walked more than 10 miles that day ^$%&@%@&%.... 13th and Spruce? man, that's far... Well, maybe it's because I'm new to the neighborhood, but I really like that area. ohhhh..... can't wait to spend another Saturday afternoon at Rittenhouse. :D :D :D

Wow man, that's alot. But I guess we can afford it on stipend, just without a great deal of spending money. My place on 13th & Spruce is $850/mo which includes everything but cooking gas and electricity. My g/f will be taking care of her car parking in a garage and all the utils. I'll be commuting in every day from there by subway + trolley or just trolley. There's a stop behind the Wistar at 37th and Spruce, so it's just a one block walk over to the subway from my place and then one block to med school.

I'll definately see you over at Rittenhouse. I study around there alot. My new place is only 6 blocks away.

snowcreeks said:

Hi Snowcreeks,

I applied to both MSTP and PhD programs this last application cycle because I really wasn't convinced that I wanted an MD. In fact, I was originally only applying to PhD programs. Then in October realized that I also wanted to apply MSTP and submitted a late application (now I know this was really risky but at the time I didn't realize that applying late is so bad and really I wouldn't have been heartbroken to just get a PhD). In any case, I took the GRE, MCAT and two GRE subject tests--biology and biochemistry. I took the MCAT the summer after my junior year and the GRE during Winter break of my senior year (as a previous poster said, this test is pretty straightforward. Just do a couple of practice exams and you're set). Then I took the GRE Bio Subject test in February (or January--I forget..) And the GRE Biochem in the spring. The GRE bio (at least the subject test I took) was pretty easy and seemed almost identical to the MCAT bio and my only regret was that I didn't take the two exams closer together so I wouldn't have had to re-study the bio/o-chem stuff. I would not recommend taking the GRE Biochem--it's really hard. I though I would be well prepared because I had taken biochem at the med school and an advanced biochem class through the biochem dept at my school but I studied hard and still ended up with a marginally acceptable score. I don't know how I could have prepared better for it. The test was just miserable.

This schedule worked fine for me and the tests were spaced out enough that it wasn't very stressful. But I am sure other timelines work just fine too.

If you have any specific questions about grad school apps, feel free to PM me.

Good Luck!!!

I'll second StanfordGirl on the biology subject test. I studied less than a week for it and it was no problem. Just read over your general bio book and reinforce the junk - algae, fungi, and such. If you want to take the biochem test try and schedule it around your biochem class - remembering all the pathways can be a beast.