How would...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fantine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... an internship at an abortion clinic look on the applications when i apply for residencies? I think this internship will be a great way for me to learn, but considering how the controversal the abortion issue is... would it negatively affect me when the time comes for me to apply for a residency?

thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would be a problem. Abortion is controversial, but it is legal. Just steer clear of the residency programs at catholic hospitals I guess.

it will look fine for applying to med school. if you go for an obgyn residency, it will be ok too. but you won't learn all that much at an abortion clinic, and the procedure itself isn't too interesting if you plan on observing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd worry more about your personal safety working there than your application. That aside, it could be controversial if you get an interviewer who has strong feelings about the issue.

fourthyearmed said:
I'd worry more about your personal safety working there than your application. That aside, it could be controversial if you get an interviewer who has strong feelings about the issue.

good point. there are lunatics who like to attack these clinics.

I wouldn't worry too much about your interviewers though.

If you do this, be prepared to talk about the issue intelligently during your interviews.

Controversial stuff is waaaay more likely to hurt you than help you. If someone who is pro-choice looks at the experience they'll say "oh, ok." But if someone who is pro-life is reviewing your file....

matthew45 said:
Controversial stuff is waaaay more likely to hurt you than help you. If someone who is pro-choice looks at the experience they'll say "oh, ok." But if someone who is pro-life is reviewing your file....

Its a hard call..... My undergrad major was in the politics of the middle east...you can imagine the questions I got.... Only one interviewer who probed me really began to engage me in a debate.....I think now it was probably more of a stress interview to see how I reacted than him having an ax to grind....that being said I got wait-listed there!!!

Fantine said:
... an internship at an abortion clinic look on the applications when i apply for residencies? I think this internship will be a great way for me to learn, but considering how the controversal the abortion issue is... would it negatively affect me when the time comes for me to apply for a residency?

thanks for any input.

I recently had an informal meeting with an adcom lady at a state medical school. She made it clear that she was against abortion, personally. I tried to stear clear of the issue. But, be aware that this is a very hot topic, and many pro-lifer's view the cause as literally saving human life. So, to think that this would not effect their opinion of you is very naive. Just a heads up.

from what i hear, applying to residency is more about a good fit than getting into the highest ranked program you possibly can. if you wouldn't like the #1 program and they wouldn't like you, then the already miserable experience of residency would be even worse.

so the way i see it, if your politics/beliefs in choice and reproductive freedom are important to you, why would you want to be in a program that is against that? your political and ethical disagreements would be bound to come up if they felt strongly and you did too, so i would think it would be better to have a program like that crossed off your list sooner rather than later. this seems like it would be especially true if you are going into ob/gyn since the issue would be more immediately relavent.

i can see this being an issue for med school admissions, but it seems like the differences in the residency application process might make it less of a big deal. but this could be naive. i'm not really sure.

being a member of med students for choice and having that on your CV does not seem to hurt people for residency.