How would you help this other type of this patient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway2222

Reaction score
Never mind. Changed my mind about posting this here in any detail. Basically, though, the question is what to do about a patient who is being transitioned from xanax to a longer acting benzo but also has a lot of care seeking/care rejecting behaviors and is not stable from an anxiety standpoint.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd keep tapering valium but give her a few emergency Xanax to use each month "just in case."
Also, maximize SSRI and keep encouraging therapy.

What were you considering as the next steps?

Usually from Xanax I switch people to equivalent dose clonazepam, it's an easy 1:1 conversion. I stop Xanax completely and replace it with clonazepam and proceed with a very slow taper. I basically reduce the clonazepam a bit every 3 months. I've had great success with this approach.

For this patient, I would stick to your plan and continue the transition to Diazepam since that is how you have already started. Then slowly lower the diazepam as you have planned. I would avoid prescribing any Xanax PRNs going forward after the transition at all. Most likely she will have a few Xanax stashed away at home for emergencies and won't tell you unless you directly ask. My patients almost always do. Utilize non-controlled medications for anxiety instead if possible.

This patient is at high risk of overdose. I would discuss a controlled substance contract with the patient if you have not already and document it. I advise the patient the goal is slow tapering and eventual discontinuation. The contract will specify that benzos will not be filled early. I would discuss with the patient how to get to the ER for inpatient detox if necessary. I will prescribe no more than a 7 day supply at a time at first for at least a month. The patient must check in with myself or my nurse each week. The lower the dose and frequency the more comfortable I am with going longer between prescriptions later. For people who abuse benzos a lot we will do pill counts weekly as we taper, same as I do with suboxone for high risk patients. I won't prescribe benzos to anyone using alcohol or taking opiates. As with suboxone, I make it clear to the patient that setbacks will not result in abandonment or being cut off, but will result in a frank discussion. I advise the patient continued abuse overuse will result in a deliberate and faster but safe taper.

I think you are doing good with your therapy recommendation and fully agree with your recommendation for DBT. However, she has informed you she isn't ready, so 1:1 it is. I like to ask patients to give a therapist 4 appointments to "get to know them" before moving on if they can agree to do that. I tell patients truthfully that I've found patients who do that often become more comfortable and are able to start making some meaningful progress, even if it is small at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually from Xanax I switch people to equivalent dose clonazepam, it's an easy 1:1 conversion. I stop Xanax completely and replace it with clonazepam and proceed with a very slow taper. I basically reduce the clonazepam a bit every 3 months. I've had great success with this approach.

I am all on board for very slow tapers, but why do you favor clonazepam over diazepam? I have tended to use the later because it still has a fairly long action but also comes in incredibly small dose sizes commercially. You can only divide up a 0.5 mg clonazepam so much but tiny little micro changes in overall BZD dosage are possible when you are talking about 2 mg diazepam tablets. I usually do a more continuous week to week taper this way to maintain sense of forward progress but I am guessing it probably ends up being about the same rate of reduction as your q3months process.

And yes, it does have the downside of being a PITA to write the scripts for, to be fair.

For this patient, I would stick to your plan and continue the transition to Diazepam since that is how you have already started. Then slowly lower the diazepam as you have planned. I would avoid prescribing any Xanax PRNs going forward after the transition at all. Most likely she will have a few Xanax stashed away at home for emergencies and won't tell you unless you directly ask. My patients almost always do. Utilize non-controlled medications for anxiety instead if possible.

This patient is at high risk of overdose. I would discuss a controlled substance contract with the patient if you have not already and document it. I advise the patient the goal is slow tapering and eventual discontinuation. The contract will specify that benzos will not be filled early. I would discuss with the patient how to get to the ER for inpatient detox if necessary. I will prescribe no more than a 7 day supply at a time at first for at least a month. The patient must check in with myself or my nurse each week. The lower the dose and frequency the more comfortable I am with going longer between prescriptions later. For people who abuse benzos a lot we will do pill counts weekly as we taper, same as I do with suboxone for high risk patients. I won't prescribe benzos to anyone using alcohol or taking opiates. As with suboxone, I make it clear to the patient that setbacks will not result in abandonment or being cut off, but will result in a frank discussion. I advise the patient continued abuse overuse will result in a deliberate and faster but safe taper.

I think you are doing good with your therapy recommendation and fully agree with your recommendation for DBT. However, she has informed you she isn't ready, so 1:1 it is. I like to ask patients to give a therapist 4 appointments to "get to know them" before moving on if they can agree to do that. I tell patients truthfully that I've found patients who do that often become more comfortable and are able to start making some meaningful progress, even if it is small at first.

Reactions: 3 users
Never mind. Changed my mind about posting this here in any detail. Basically, though, the question is what to do about a patient who is being transitioned from xanax to a longer acting benzo but also has a lot of care seeking/care rejecting behaviors and is not stable from an anxiety standpoint.
Do not want

I am all on board for very slow tapers, but why do you favor clonazepam over diazepam? I have tended to use the later because it still has a fairly long action but also comes in incredibly small dose sizes commercially. You can only divide up a 0.5 mg clonazepam so much but tiny little micro changes in overall BZD dosage are possible when you are talking about 2 mg diazepam tablets. I usually do a more continuous week to week taper this way to maintain sense of forward progress but I am guessing it probably ends up being about the same rate of reduction as your q3months process.

And yes, it does have the downside of being a PITA to write the scripts for, to be fair.
You've answered your own question. It's basically just my preference, and like you said it works out about the same.

Many patients dependent on benzos want to debate and bargain and moan and flatter and try to somehow wheedle more benzos out of me for the crisis of the day or week. I also like to limit those types of interactions. We have a very good and fully staffed comprehensive substance abuse program so I don't go it alone for patients who have substance use disorders.

Now if we had a DBT team and group going again, that would be nice. We used to but the therapists all got promoted or moved on in 2019, and then the COVID-19 pandemic interrupted all group therapy. Riiight about the time I received several patients with borderline PD. 😆

You've answered your own question. It's basically just my preference, and like you said it works out about the same.

Many patients dependent on benzos want to debate and bargain and moan and flatter and try to somehow wheedle more benzos out of me for the crisis of the day or week. I also like to limit those types of interactions. We have a very good and fully staffed comprehensive substance abuse program so I don't go it alone for patients who have substance use disorders.

Now if we had a DBT team and group going again, that would be nice. We used to but the therapists all got promoted or moved on in 2019, and then the COVID-19 pandemic interrupted all group therapy. Riiight about the time I received several patients with borderline PD. 😆
Lucky u

Thanks everyone. My biggest thing was that I got spooked because the diazepam dose equivalent seemed so high and thought I would be harming the patient. But that does not make sense, I know it. It’s far more harmful to take excessive doses of Xanax.

I also wonder, does anyone have any tips on how to help a patient with care rejection tendencies and over reliance on meds to invest more work into non pharm coping skills. The pit I fall into is if advice or education is rejected I kind of just… give up or worse yet, start to think the patient has a point. I’m pretty suggestible.

I quickly stopped attempting cross tapers with the thought the longer acting benzo would provide better coverage or make for a smoother transition. In my anecdotal experience those on Xanax will rarely find anything that is an acceptable substitute and will contact the office nonstop in the process. I've had better luck with a slow Xanax taper and they either stick with me or go elsewhere to get what they feel is the only thing that will help. Therapy can be very beneficial but this particular population for many reasons they have generally been resistant to the recommendation.

Reactions: 2 users
I quickly stopped attempting cross tapers with the thought the longer acting benzo would provide better coverage or make for a smoother transition. In my anecdotal experience those on Xanax will rarely find anything that is an acceptable substitute and will contact the office nonstop in the process. I've had better luck with a slow Xanax taper and they either stick with me or go elsewhere to get what they feel is the only thing that will help. Therapy can be very beneficial but this particular population for many reasons they have generally been resistant to the recommendation.
Yeah, Xanax is devilishly addictive.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, Xanax is devilishly addictive.
Do not want
Yes, I feel really trapped and emotionally manipulated by this patient case. And the combination of xanax and certain personality traits makes the situation that much harder.
I wish I'd done that too now, but I suppose if you start the process you can't all that easily get out of it... or can you? Maybe a better way of framing the situation from now on is that high doses of xanax are not safe and the diazepam is not meant to replace per se, but ease the xanax taper process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I feel really trapped and emotionally manipulated by this patient case. And the combination of xanax and certain personality traits makes the situation that much harder.

I wish I'd done that too now, but I suppose if you start the process you can't all that easily get out of it... or can you? Maybe a better way of framing the situation from now on is that high doses of xanax are not safe and the diazepam is not meant to replace per se, but ease the xanax taper process.
Try not to take it personally. Perhaps self protective but I consider this type of person to be fragile at the onset, brain not functioning optimally now and panicked which results in maladaptive behavior and manipulation in order to get their needs met.

Something that has served me well is being willing to change course particularly if you don’t have patient buy-in and there are other reasonable options. Consider discussing how the attempt to cross taper in an effort to make them more comfortable hasn’t been as smooth as anticipated and offer them the option to restart Xanax at a safe but reduced dose with a clearly outlined taper schedule, which you can always adjust if they are truly struggling. This has worked for me on occasion with the added bonus of them feeling as if you are listening and trying to work with them. Not saying it will be easy because it won’t but you might provide them with a sense of relief while buying more time to reduce consumption and build rapport. If not they can find another psychiatrist. Good luck I feel for you.

Therapy can be very beneficial but this particular population for many reasons they have generally been resistant to the recommendation.
There's such an irony that Xanax was advertised in psychiatric medical journals for the purpose of fostering improved therapy sessions, much in the same vein psychedelics were (among many other things it was advertised for). And this is not ancient history. I'll see if I can find the ad regarding therapy. I remember there was also one saying it was less addictive than other benzos specifically because of its short half life—I can't remember the exact reasoning. It was something convoluted about the person not being under the effect of it the next day after taking it at night, which seems to be exactly what this patient was suffering from (daytime withdrawal).

Edit:
This was the ad. Not exactly as I remembered it, but pretty close:

Edit:
I found one for Valium too. It says it's "a helpful partner to your psychotherapeutic skills." But now patients need therapy to cope with the withdrawal:

And this one for Valium says it helps with hypochondria and fosters, again, therapeutic alliance to deal with that:
Which is particularly ironic now because people on benzos long term and in withdrawal develop so many somatic issues.

Those Valium ads must have been during a time psychiatrists were still doing analysis (well more than they are now). They both are quite gendered--one implying something the woman losing the men in her life, and the one about the man who can only get along with domineering women. Both sound . . . of a certain era and analytic.

It seems like almost exactly what psychedelics had been used for in therapy previously.

Edit: I know when I say it doesn't seem like ancient history, it probably does seem dated. But the Xanax ad came out exactly 10 years before I was placed on benzodiazepines, so it doesn't seem ancient to me. Except that 10 years later, no one was using benzos to foster therapy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There's such an irony that Xanax was advertised in psychiatric medical journals for the purpose of fostering improved therapy sessions, much in the same vein psychedelics were (among many other things it was advertised for). And this is not ancient history. I'll see if I can find the ad regarding therapy. I remember there was also one saying it was less addictive than other benzos specifically because of its short half life—I can't remember the exact reasoning. It was something convoluted about the person not being under the effect of it the next day after taking it at night, which seems to be exactly what this patient was suffering from (daytime withdrawal).

Edit:
This was the ad. Not exactly as I remembered it, but pretty close:

Edit:
I found one for Valium too. It says it's "a helpful partner to your psychotherapeutic skills." But now patients need therapy to cope with the withdrawal:

And this one for Valium says it helps with hypochondria and fosters, again, therapeutic alliance to deal with that:
Which is particularly ironic now because people on benzos long term and in withdrawal develop so many somatic issues.

Those Valium ads must have been during a time psychiatrists were still doing analysis (well more than they are now). They both are quite gendered--one implying something the woman losing the men in her life, and the one about the man who can only get along with domineering women. Both sound . . . of a certain era and analytic.

It seems like almost exactly what psychedelics had been used for in therapy previously.

Edit: I know when I say it doesn't seem like ancient history, it probably does seem dated. But the Xanax ad came out exactly 10 years before I was placed on benzodiazepines, so it doesn't seem ancient to me. Except that 10 years later, no one was using benzos to foster therapy.
Yeah, benzos are actually counterproductive to therapy. They give you mild amnesia so you cannot internalize as much of what you learn, and they work so well that why bother with non pharm skills?

Try not to take it personally. Perhaps self protective but I consider this type of person to be fragile at the onset, brain not functioning optimally now and panicked which results in maladaptive behavior and manipulation in order to get their needs met.

Something that has served me well is being willing to change course particularly if you don’t have patient buy-in and there are other reasonable options. Consider discussing how the attempt to cross taper in an effort to make them more comfortable hasn’t been as smooth as anticipated and offer them the option to restart Xanax at a safe but reduced dose with a clearly outlined taper schedule, which you can always adjust if they are truly struggling. This has worked for me on occasion with the added bonus of them feeling as if you are listening and trying to work with them. Not saying it will be easy because it won’t but you might provide them with a sense of relief while buying more time to reduce consumption and build rapport. If not they can find another psychiatrist. Good luck I feel for you.
I might do that. As a follow up question, the logistics of that do bother me. Would you taper the diazepam, just quickly? Would that not increase risk of overuse of Xanax again?

I might do that. As a follow up question, the logistics of that do bother me. Would you taper the diazepam, just quickly? Would that not increase risk of overuse of Xanax again?
When I did it the few times in the past I converted current dose of Klonopin or Valium back to Xanax which was a bit lower than the dose they originally came to me on. I educated them it is a safe dose, will not result in a medical emergency due to abrupt w/d symptoms and therefore no accommodations will be made for overuse. Its been a while but as I recall I didn't hear a peep until I met with them again and restarted chipping away at the Xanax.

When I did it the few times in the past I converted current dose of Klonopin or Valium back to Xanax which was a bit lower than the dose they originally came to me on. I educated them it is a safe dose, will not result in a medical emergency due to abrupt w/d symptoms and therefore no accommodations will be made for overuse. Its been a while but as I recall I didn't hear a peep until I met with them again and restarted chipping away at the Xanax.
How do you account for the long half life or clonopin or valium, though? is that where the relatively lower dose of xanax comes in?

There's such an irony that Xanax was advertised in psychiatric medical journals for the purpose of fostering improved therapy sessions, much in the same vein psychedelics were (among many other things it was advertised for).
You have to be mindful that the benzos came about during the heydey of psychodynamic psychiatry. The idea of prescribing medications for anxiety and depression and other neurotic disorders was anathema to most of these psychiatrists. Indeed, psychiatry residents of that era would have been pilloried by their supervisors for prescribing medications for patients with neurotic disorders. No psychiatrist would buy into a biomedical model of distress, so the marketing would never have been successful trying to convince psychiatrists to prescribe medications if that was the messaging. Instead, they had to align with the psychodynamic theories of the time. You notice that the idea of depression and anxiety were dynamically oriented in the ads, and also contextualized the problems in the patients' interpersonal relations. Even with this marketing, it was very hard to convince psychiatrists to prescribe this medication, so they had to claim it was adjunctive to the real work of psychotherapy. Otherwise it would have been seen as a threat to the very existence of psychiatry. Interestingly, the so-called "biological revolution" in psychiatry, and the launch of Prozac coincided with direct-to-consumer advertising, and it was with this change, that marketing to patients recoded problems in terms of crooked molecules and chemical imbalances.

It would turn out that in order to survive, and in order for psychiatrists to maintain their moral authority over mental life, psychiatry would have to embrace a biomedical model as armies of psychologists, social workers, counselors and other helping professions offered to provide therapy to masses for less.

Reactions: 6 users
How do you account for the long half life or clonopin or valium, though? is that where the relatively lower dose of xanax comes in?
I was assuming you had started a minimal reduction when you initially changed from Xanax and could either continue the planned taper or hold at the current dose when changing back to Xanax. Frequency would be based on the individual medication but the total daily dose is a relatively straight forward conversion from Klononpin or Valium to Xanax.

I was assuming you had started a minimal reduction when you initially changed from Xanax and could either continue the planned taper or hold at the current dose when changing back to Xanax. Frequency would be based on the individual medication but the total daily dose is a relatively straight forward conversion from Klononpin or Valium to Xanax.
I was doing a crosstaper, so currently the patient is on part xanax and part valium. I think if we were to convert back to all xanax, we'd have to account for the longer half life of valium and actually have the daily xanax dose be a little lower than what is predicted by the conversion. Either way, it's going to be a reduced dose of xanax from where we originally started.

I was doing a crosstaper, so currently the patient is on part xanax and part valium. I think if we were to convert back to all xanax, we'd have to account for the longer half life of valium and actually have the daily xanax dose be a little lower than what is predicted by the conversion. Either way, it's going to be a reduced dose of xanax from where we originally started.
I see. I’ve never done it like that but hopefully it will get easier and generally speaking if you are able to get the original dose down a bit that is a win.

You have to be mindful that the benzos came about during the heydey of psychodynamic psychiatry. The idea of prescribing medications for anxiety and depression and other neurotic disorders was anathema to most of these psychiatrists. Indeed, psychiatry residents of that era would have been pilloried by their supervisors for prescribing medications for patients with neurotic disorders. No psychiatrist would buy into a biomedical model of distress, so the marketing would never have been successful trying to convince psychiatrists to prescribe medications if that was the messaging. Instead, they had to align with the psychodynamic theories of the time. You notice that the idea of depression and anxiety were dynamically oriented in the ads, and also contextualized the problems in the patients' interpersonal relations. Even with this marketing, it was very hard to convince psychiatrists to prescribe this medication, so they had to claim it was adjunctive to the real work of psychotherapy. Otherwise it would have been seen as a threat to the very existence of psychiatry. Interestingly, the so-called "biological revolution" in psychiatry, and the launch of Prozac coincided with direct-to-consumer advertising, and it was with this change, that marketing to patients recoded problems in terms of crooked molecules and chemical imbalances.

It would turn out that in order to survive, and in order for psychiatrists to maintain their moral authority over mental life, psychiatry would have to embrace a biomedical model as armies of psychologists, social workers, counselors and other helping professions offered to provide therapy to masses for less.
That's very interesting. But benzos caught on earlier. The Rolling Stones had a song in the 1960s, Mother's Little Helper. Maybe that was being done by GPs in parallel to the analysis being done by psychiatrists. So do you think the pharma industry wanted to expand medication into psychiatry more? I had always heard the driving force against analysis and therapy in general in psychiatry was the cost of the time taken up by it. But I suppose it could have been pharma pushing its way in, as well, getting psychiatrists to do what GPs had been doing?

I won't jaywalk down memory lane again and retell the whole story, but when I first saw a psychiatrist I assumed I was going to be doing something like therapy. That particular psychiatrist not only did not do therapy but was specifically against it.

I was doing a crosstaper, so currently the patient is on part xanax and part valium.
This feels very atypical, but maybe I'm the one who's off. I thought the typical plan was just to switch to the longer-lasting benzo, without needing to cross-taper.

Reactions: 1 users
This feels very atypical, but maybe I'm the one who's off. I thought the typical plan was just to switch to the longer-lasting benzo, without needing to cross-taper.
<I am not a doctor or medical student>

Crossing over can be complicated. I won't speak for my experience. But you can read stories of people who have done so at benzobuddies.org to see the varied experiences.

Or if you don't like online forums, Christy Huff, a cardiologist, has written about her Valium crossover experience. I can't recall where it was published, but it was in national papers. I recall she did a 6 week crossover.

When people cross over, it seems like the equivalencies in real life are quite variable, which is born out also by how the guidelines for equivalency vary by up to a factor of four.

Also diazepam is affected by CYP2C19 metabolization, and there are fairly common polymorphisms that affect this, which don't affect Xanax.

I believe—and it was a long time ago I read about this—that the various benzodiazepines attach to various ligands in varying amounts, which leads some to be more anti-convulsant, more anxiolytic, more hypnotic, more soporific than others in relative amounts.

In short, you could be snowed by what is theoretically an equivalent amount of diazepam, especially at the levels of Xanax the OP's patient wast taking. if you crossed over all at once. Or you could theoretically make a drastic cut depending on which equivalency table you use.

I think that's one reason why people do step-wise crossovers, in that they can learn what is actually an equivalent amount for them.

This shows an example of a cross taper:

(I know it seems like an unofficial site, but the NICE guidelines in the UK refer specifically to that same advice, and I can't link to NICE because they geoblock their site.)

Some people never seem to tolerate crossing over well and do better with a direct taper.

The experiences seem incredibly varied in my experience reading other people's accounts.

I would guess one factor is that while diazepam is fast-acting its effects are somewhat cumulative over time as the metabolites build up. I've noticed in some people's accounts, they've said when they've done an immediate crossover they haven't felt the effect of the diazepam for up to even a week or so, which I would assume (large assumption) is when the metabolites accumulate—but that is beyond me, just a guess.

Of course they will try to emotionally manipulate you. It’s like a dealer telling a heroin user to consider a switch to methadone or suboxone because the literature says so. The addict will scream, cry, beg, and do all but listen to reason. It's the addiction speaking. If you aren't pissing off a % of (controlled) substance patients, then chances are you are the local candyman.

In anxiety disorders, the goal is for the patient to integrate their anxiety, not avoid it or numb themselves. We have to be able to deal with our own feelings about the patient's manipulation or acting out for (controlled) substances because the patient deserves a solid holding environment. There can only be one patient in the room. This is where proper supervision or one's own therapy may be useful.

For me, I conceptualize the taper process (or any psychiatric intervention) as a medical procedure. It is expected to be, and will be, uncomfortable. There will be psychic pain. It may be helpful to point this out to patients. Look at pediatricians. How effective would they be if they continued to put off medical interventions and followed patient wishes whenever their patient protests, cries, screams and bites?

That's very interesting. But benzos caught on earlier. The Rolling Stones had a song in the 1960s, Mother's Little Helper. Maybe that was being done by GPs in parallel to the analysis being done by psychiatrists.
Yes, exactly. Much of the early prescription of antidepressants (TCAs) and benzos etc were done by primary care physicians who were already prescribing the forerunners to these drugs. Before benzos, there were barbiturates, and Miltown (meprobamate). Before TCAs, there was benzedrine. The early antidepressants were called "psychic energizers" as they weren't believed to reverse any physiological process but treating symptoms. With the invention of amitriptyline, Merck was quick to market this drug as an antidepressant medication treating the new illness of depression. Primary care doctors were so unfamiliar with this new diagnosis, that Merck bought 100 000 copies of Frank Ayd's Recognizing the Depressed Patient in order to "educate" them of this new diagnosis in order to sell this drug.

That is not to say psychiatrists were not prescribing benzos and other drugs at all in this era. Even in the psychodynamic era there were psychiatrists who styled themselves as psychopharmacologists but it was not the dominant strain. Even the psychopharmacologists of this era were dynamically oriented and concerned with questions of how these new drugs could affect the soul and the very concept of our personhood.

Crossing over can be complicated. I won't speak for my experience. But you can read stories of people who have done so at benzobuddies.org to see the varied experiences.

Or if you don't like online forums, Christy Huff, a cardiologist, has written about her Valium crossover experience. I can't recall where it was published, but it was in national papers. I recall she did a 6 week crossover.

When people cross over, it seems like the equivalencies in real life are quite variable, which is born out also by how the guidelines for equivalency vary by up to a factor of four.

Also diazepam is affected by CYP2C19 metabolization, and there are fairly common polymorphisms that affect this, which don't affect Xanax.

I believe—and it was a long time ago I read about this—that the various benzodiazepines attach to various ligands in varying amounts, which leads some to be more anti-convulsant, more anxiolytic, more hypnotic, more soporific than others in relative amounts.

In short, you could be snowed by what is theoretically an equivalent amount of diazepam, especially at the levels of Xanax the OP's patient wast taking. if you crossed over all at once. Or you could theoretically make a drastic cut depending on which equivalency table you use.

I think that's one reason why people do step-wise crossovers, in that they can learn what is actually an equivalent amount for them.

(I know it seems like an unofficial site, but the NICE guidelines in the UK refer specifically to that same advice, and I can't link to NICE because they geoblock their site.)

Some people never seem to tolerate crossing over well and do better with a direct taper.

The experiences seem incredibly varied in my experience reading other people's accounts.

I would guess one factor is that while diazepam is fast-acting its effects are somewhat cumulative over time as the metabolites build up. I've noticed in some people's accounts, they've said when they've done an immediate crossover they haven't felt the effect of the diazepam for up to even a week or so, which I would assume (large assumption) is when the metabolites accumulate—but that is beyond me, just a guess.

I actually referenced the website @birchswing linked, Heather Ashton’s protocol. The idea behind it is that you crosstaper and also gradually go down, and the Valium helps with the withdrawal effect. I guess you can either do the switch directly or crosstaper. I just thought the crosstaper would be gentler, if you will.

Last edited:
I actually referenced the website @birchswing linked, Heather Ashton’s protocol. The idea behind it is that you crosstaper and also gradually go down, and the Valium helps with the withdrawal effect. I guess you can either do the switch directly or crosstaper. I just thought the crosstaper would be gentler, if you will.

Second Ashton's manual. I have had better luck cross-tapering instead of switching directly but I think increasingly there are some especially anxious and somatically preoccupied folks who really would do better with a direct switch to reduce the opportunities and period of time during which they might notice an unusual or unexpected sensation and become preoccupied with it.