How would you answer this MCAT question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theBriefing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If, because of a mutation, a diploid cell should arrest at the end of mitosis and fail to enter interphase, then as a direct result:

A. there will be a failure of protein synthesis
B. there will be a failure of genomic replication

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it'd be a failure of genomic replication. While there is a significant amount of protein synthesis that occurs during interphase (mostly in G1), a cell stuck in G0 will still transcribe and synthesize gene products. However, only during the S phase (part of interphase) does the cell replicate its genome.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree - failure of genomic replication will result because the S phase is in interphase and is where DNA synthesis occurs.

I would say it'd be a failure of genomic replication. While there is a significant amount of protein synthesis that occurs during interphase (mostly in G1), a cell stuck in G0 will still transcribe and synthesize gene products. However, only during the S phase (part of interphase) does the cell replicate its genome.

Thanks for the comment; this makes absolute sense. I forgot about G0, and without it, both answers seemed equally valid