How would Virginia Tech Carilion fare in the USNWR rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurritoKiller

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it's a new school, it's not participating in the USNWR research rankings. I'm wondering approximately where it would be, as it touts itself as a research-intensive school but only received $7 million in NIH funding last year. To be fair, it's the smallest school in the nation (42 per class) so its faculty size is correspondingly small, thus making for a smaller pool of research dollars. I'm trying to compare its research potential to a couple of mid range schools I've interviewed at that have between $80-120 million in NIH funding. Virginia Tech in general is a solid research institution, so does its research power come from affiliations with the undergrad school?

Members don't see this ad.

Are the "unranked" schools in the US News report just not participating in the rankings? I thought that just means they are ranked lower than #100 and USN doesn't want to be rude about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the "unranked" schools in the US News report just not participating in the rankings? I thought that just means they are ranked lower than #100 and USN doesn't want to be rude about it.
Unranked = refused or could not provide the info needed to be ranked

Rank Not Published (RNP) = they gave us the info but were ranked bottom quartile, so we hid exact score

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. Tulane for example doesn't believe in rankings and simply refuses to participate even though they'd be very favorably ranked. I mean just look at their match lists-- their graduates do extremely well.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. Tulane for example doesn't believe in rankings and simply refuses to participate even though they'd be very favorably ranked. I mean just look at their match lists-- their graduates do extremely well.

Interesting. One of my favorite interviews was at Loyola, which is also "unranked". I always thought that meant it was ranked poorly and couldn't figure out why because it seems like a great school. Good to know!

BTE, the median LizzyM score for Va tech is 70, about the same as SLU, and > VCU or EVMS. UVA is a 75.
Virginia is not a pleasant state to be from when applying to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Ranking has nothing to do with match list, that wouldnt factor anything into it's rank

VTC 3rd year here, pretty sure we don't participate in the rankings. Also we have had 100% match for the 5 graduating classes with last year matching 100% to their top choices. We also have a lot of research money and opportunities within the hospital in terms of clinical research and quality improvement.

**Didn't realize how old this post was haha sorry for the late response

VTC 3rd year here, pretty sure we don't participate in the rankings. Also we have had 100% match for the 5 graduating classes with last year matching 100% to their top choices. We also have a lot of research money and opportunities within the hospital in terms of clinical research and quality improvement.

**Didn't realize how old this post was haha sorry for the late response

** Yeah, but 100% matching to their top choices is brag-worthy :D Congratulations!

Old post, but I feel like being ranked dead last might actually be beneficial for the school, lol. More apps...