How would radiology be affected by surprise billing legislation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway1123

Reaction score
I'm an M3 trying to figure out how different specialties would be affected by so-called "surprise medical billing" legislation. From my understanding, these proposed bills could mainly hurt specialties that are largely tied to a hospital such as EM and anesthesia. Would any attendings care to offer their opinions on how this would affect radiology?(reimbursement, job market, etc)

Here's a recent article about surprise medical bills. Doesn't look like any legislation is going through soon.

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on how they are written.

If they are written in the simplistic “% of Medicare”, then it’s a gift to the insurance companies. Why would they ever offer a contractual rate higher than the OON rate? You will see (and we have seen) insurance companies refusing to add to their network and basically accepting whatever the law says is the capped payment for OON.

if the laws are written as NY’s with benchmarked collections data, then there is a chance that someone going out of network is more expensive than their contracted rates.

Post ACA, a lot of insurance plans decided to intentionally narrow their networks to reduce access to care, so in some cases, you are out of network because they don’t want you, not because you are trying to get irrational headline grabbing OON rates.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an M3 trying to figure out how different specialties would be affected by so-called "surprise medical billing" legislation. From my understanding, these proposed bills could mainly hurt specialties that are largely tied to a hospital such as EM and anesthesia. Would any attendings care to offer their opinions on how this would affect radiology?(reimbursement, job market, etc)

Here's a recent article about surprise medical bills. Doesn't look like any legislation is going through soon.

Not worth your time.

Reactions: 1 user