How Will Psychologists Practicing Medicine Affect Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kulak Bondiced said:
I think that the underlying problem might be that mental health is not taken that seriously in this country. This underlying factor leads to (most importantly) reduced reimbursement rates for psychiatrists – low salary - which leads to a dwindling population of psychiatrists, leading to scant access to psychiatric care, leading to GP’s flippantly prescribing psychiatric medications, making psychologists believe that it is no big deal to prescribe psychotropic drugs. Allowing people without medical degrees to prescribe psychotropic medicine continues this deleterious attitude toward mental health.

Psychologists merely rationalize their desire for prescription rights by highlighting the profound need for quality mental health care and claim that all they want to do is help the people. All along, they know that (maybe they repress it) they need to increase their salary because the financial rewards for providing mental health care are not that good for a psychologist either.

Bottom line, if anyone wants to practice medicine, they should go to medical school. We should not degrade mental health care any further by allowing non-medical doctors the power to prescribe psychotropic medicine. On the contrary, to solve this problem, our nation needs to pay psychiatrists more money for the work they do. This would defiantly make psychiatry more attractive (increase supply of docs) and, in the same manner, make society see mental health as a more serious issue (because the more you pay for something – the more it is worth).

Most people think the primary reason for the psychiatrist shortage is money. It's not. Psychiatry pays better than Peds, FM and in most cases IM. The reason people do not go into psych is...they can go into another field.

When you are in medical school for four years and only one course and a six-week rotation cover psych, it's hard to go into psych unless you do not see yourself going into any other field. Think about it, after all that education and money spent psych is farthest from the other medical fields. In terms of the things you do in psych compared to the other fields such as surgery, OB and medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Solideliquid said:
Most people think the primary reason for the psychiatrist shortage is money. It's not. Psychiatry pays better than Peds, FM and in most cases IM. The reason people do not go into psych is...they can go into another field.

When you are in medical school for four years and only one course and a six-week rotation cover psych, it's hard to go into psych unless you do not see yourself going into any other field. Think about it, after all that education and money spent psych is farthest from the other medical fields. In terms of the things you do in psych compared to the other fields such as surgery, OB and medicine.
I was just talking about this today with a friend of mine. I am going to miss all the things I have labored over for these years during school. But I couldn't stand doing any of it for very long, hence psych. Too bad we don't have any procedures to throw into the mix for variety. :oops:

Solideliquid said:
Think about it, after all that education and money spent psych is farthest from the other medical fields. In terms of the things you do in psych compared to the other fields such as surgery, OB and medicine.

There are plenty of medical fields that don't use much in the way of traditional education: medical genetics, preventative health, pathology, and radiology. Also, why do ophthalmologists need all of that education to deal with 1 cubic inch of the body?

Members don't see this ad :)
deuist said:
There are plenty of medical fields that don't use much in the way of traditional education: medical genetics, preventative health, pathology, and radiology. Also, why do ophthalmologists need all of that education to deal with 1 cubic inch of the body?

By this logic, a shortened course of medical/psychopharmacology training would be sufficient for psychologists. Right?

Anasazi23 said:
ani_smiley_flog_dead_horse.gif

see above.

PublicHealth said:
By this logic, a shortened course of medical/psychopharmacology training would be sufficient for psychologists. Right?

No, by your logic a shortened course of medical/psychopharmacology training would be sufficient for anyone. Right? A psychopharmaceutical will affect the entire body, and each different body will react to the medication in unique ways. I believe it should be required to understand the broad scope of how bodies (with varying disease entities) and medications interact before someone is trusted to tinker with it.

Kulak Bondiced said:
No, by your logic a shortened course of medical/psychopharmacology training would be sufficient for anyone. Right? A psychopharmaceutical will affect the entire body, and each different body will react to the medication in unique ways. I believe it should be required to understand the broad scope of how bodies (with varying disease entities) and medications interact before someone is trusted to tinker with it.

I AGREE! And that has been the point all along, right? How much education is necessary to have the right to prescribe?
Ok, to all the pro ologist RxPs; What is the proposed curriculum? What will these ologists know? Will they be given a basic physio book and stahl then let loose with psychopharm rights only? I haven't heard much about the proposed education here. Fill me in or direct me to where this has been discussed, please.

Triathlon said:
I AGREE! And that has been the point all along, right? How much education is necessary to have the right to prescribe?
Ok, to all the pro ologist RxPs; What is the proposed curriculum? What will these ologists know? Will they be given a basic physio book and stahl then let loose with psychopharm rights only? I haven't heard much about the proposed education here. Fill me in or direct me to where this has been discussed, please.

The most stringent curriculum that I've heard proposed so far has been a 2-year post-doc MS in pharmacotherapy followed by a 100-patient internship under an MD/DO to get limited prescribing rights.

I've also heard some psychs claim that they got enough psychobiology to begin pushing SSRI's the instant they graduate.

Anasazi23 said:
If I hand someone a PAI and get the computerized printout, or perform a few WAIS subtests, I am not "practicing psychology."

According to California law you are.

Heh, heh.

Triathlon said:

The proposed curriculum should be: One needs precisely four years of medical school and 1+3 years of residency. Of course after also fulfilling the prerequisites required to enter medical school. Anything less would be a detriment to the patient and our health care system in total. It isn’t too much, it’s necessary.

Kulak Bondiced said:
The proposed curriculum should be: One needs precisely four years of medical school and 1+3 years of residency. Of course after also fulfilling the prerequisites required to enter medical school. Anything less would be a detriment to the patient and our health care system in total. It isn’t too much, it’s necessary.

Tell that to the hordes of psychiatric nurse practitioners and PAs who prescribe psychotropics all day long, with little or no physician oversight in some states. The healthcare system is evolving (devolving?) into a pre-Flexnerian era. Blame managed care, not the psychologists.

Here is an example of the curriculum for prescribing psychologists: http://www.rxpsychology.com/crsstudy.htm

Keep in mind that both psychologist prescribing laws in NM and LA require that the psychologist collaborate with their patients' primary care physicians. Thus, they're more like psychiatric PAs or NPs than psychiatrists who are fully in charge of their patients' medical and psychiatric health. If you had actually read the laws, you would realize that they're fairly restrictive in terms of when psychologists may and may not prescribe.

Please read up on the issue before attacking it altogether. Learning is a prerequisite to understanding. I realize that medical school may sometimes get in the way of the latter (I'm a med student, by the way):

LA law: http://www.lsbep.org/rules_ch_4.htm

NM law: http://www.rld.state.nm.us/b&c/psychology/RxP Rules/Rules.htm

Kulak Bondiced said:

(sucked back in again) KB, you make it sound like new medications are produced and handed out to prescribers in a vacuum of information. But as you know that is not the case. New medications I presume come out with quite a bit of information on indications, interactions, dangers, etc. Do you think the psychologist wouldn't be paying attention to that? You don't think they would be consulting the PDR? Reading the current research being done? Integrating what they have read with what they have learned? Before they prescribe?

Also, the reporst coming out of LA and NM and the DOD have shown that the psychologists are not liberal med prescribers. They tend to be quite reserved with their Rx pads.

I also think your logic train about what is leading to the detriment of mh tx in this country is flawed.

Just wondering, is the point here to try and convince people of what your own thoughts are? Because this is pretty stupid when you think about it.

PH, you constantly say this stuff over and over yet you NEVER validate your REASONS for why you keep beating it to death? I'd like to see you answer it for once - WHY DO YOU KEEP UP THESE POSTS? WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IS GOING TO COME OF IT? ARE YOU BORED? DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL CHANGE THEIR MINDS? WHAT IF EVERYONE JUST AGREES WITH YOU? WILL YOU DROP IT?

I'm asking in all honesty because I don't understand why anyone would do this over and over, its odd behavior in my book. Shouldn't you be more focused on studying instead of spending all your time looking up these links to RxP stuff? I mean seriously - in 2nd year I had no time at all to be on one of these boards, I had to study and spend time with friends, boyfriend, etc....

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety said:
Just wondering, is the point here to try and convince people of what your own thoughts are? Because this is pretty stupid when you think about it.

PH, you constantly say this stuff over and over yet you NEVER validate your REASONS for why you keep beating it to death? I'd like to see you answer it for once - WHY DO YOU KEEP UP THESE POSTS? WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IS GOING TO COME OF IT? ARE YOU BORED? DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL CHANGE THEIR MINDS? WHAT IF EVERYONE JUST AGREES WITH YOU? WILL YOU DROP IT?

I'm asking in all honesty because I don't understand why anyone would do this over and over, its odd behavior in my book. Shouldn't you be more focused on studying instead of spending all your time looking up these links to RxP stuff? I mean seriously - in 2nd year I had no time at all to be on one of these boards, I had to study and spend time with friends, boyfriend, etc....

I have no agenda. Just raising awareness of the issue and want to get people's opinions on it.

Time management is the key to balancing 2nd year, SDN, and those girls on the side. ;)

It seems that there is no ambivalence about the issue and most have a strong opinion, but as psyclops pointed out after careful consideration he has changed his mind on the issue.

Psychmom suggesting that psychologists envy psychiatrists, that’s a pretty arrogant statement. I personally hope Public Health goes into NeuroRadiology, makes $500,000 / yr, and then buys a bigger and faster boat than Anasazi.

PublicHealth said:
I have no agenda. Just raising awareness of the issue and want to get people's opinions on it.

Time management is the key to balancing 2nd year, SDN, and those girls on the side. ;)

Ok. Thanks for answering, kinda ;) as usual :p

PsychEval said:
It seems that there is no ambivalence about the issue and most have a strong opinion, but as psyclops pointed out after careful consideration he has changed his mind on the issue.

Psychmom suggesting that psychologists envy psychiatrists, that’s a pretty arrogant statement. I personally hope Public Health goes into NeuroRadiology, makes $500,000 / yr, and then buys a bigger and faster boat than Anasazi.

LOL! I'll pick you up, PE.

Poety, I'm interested in psychologist RxP because I want to make sure you earn enough after residency to pay off all that darn debt! With all the vulturous prescribing psychologists that are waiting with their prescription pads in hand, this may become increasingly difficult, even despite what Sharfstein says on the matter. :eek:

PublicHealth said:
LOL! I'll pick you up, PE.

Poety, I'm interested in psychologist RxP because I want to make sure you earn enough after residency to pay off all that darn debt! With all the vulturous prescribing psychologists that are waiting with their prescription pads in hand, this may become increasingly difficult, even despite what Sharfstein says on the matter. :eek:

:confused:

What does that mean? You keep advocating for psychologists rxp but now you say you are always posting about it because you are secretly against it?

Change your alias to John Kerry. "I voted for the 87 million dollars, before I voted against it." lol...what a tool that guy is.

Solideliquid said:
:confused:

What does that mean? You keep advocating for psychologists rxp but now you say you are always posting about it because you are secretly against it?

Change your alias to John Kerry. "I voted for the 87 million dollars, before I voted against it." lol...what a tool that guy is.

I was being flippant. :smuggrin:

Yet another reason psychiatrists need better psychotherapy training! :laugh:

Hawaii’s Prescriptive Authority Quest – A Proactive Agenda for the
Future: During last year’s session of the Hawaii legislature, the Hawaii
Psychological Association (HPA), under the leadership of Jill
Oliveira-Berry and Robin Miyamoto, was successful in having the legislature
establish an Interim Task Force to explore the feasibility of psychologists
prescribing. HPA’s two legislative champions co-chaired the group. This
year, the Hawaii House of Representatives passed HR 2589, which would allow
appropriately trained psychologists practicing within federally qualified
community health centers and in medically underserved areas to
prescribe. The legislation was supported by each of the 13 community
health center medical directors; HMSA, the Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan of
Hawaii; and the Hawai’i Nurses’ Association. HPA’s quest became the topic
of radio debates and newspaper articles (including on the editorial page),
where it received the enthusiastic endorsement of the Hawai’i Primary Care
Association. The Senate Health Committee recommended the adoption of the
House proposal and ultimately both legislative bodies agreed upon a
compromise under which the State’s Legislative Reference Bureau was
directed to study the issue and report back their findings to the
legislature for consideration in the 2007 legislative session. Included in
this report is to be a review of the Department of Defense RxP
experiences. In my judgment, HPA made considerable progress, particularly
in educating the broader community regarding the clinical expertise of our
profession, as well as truly engaging their membership in determining their
own destiny. An insider’s view of the process – Ray Folen:
“Having previously passed through the House Health Committee, this
prescriptive authority bill was recognized as having some ‘legs’ on it. It
is an access to care bill for the underserved and uninsured people of our
State seeking care in community health centers (CHCs). Psychologists, well
represented in these areas, are in most cases unable to get the psychiatric
support needed. Working collaboratively with primary care physicians has
proven to be a successful alternative. They trust the medical
psychologist’s psychopharmacology skills and want them to operate more
independently.
“Psychology was well represented at the hearing. Robin and Jill,
co-chairs of the HPA RxP Task Force, delivered exceptionally persuasive
testimony, as did other HPA board members, doctoral-level psychology
trainees, CHC staff, CHC medical directors, the APA Practice Directorate,
the Louisiana Academy of Medical Psychologists, DoD prescribing
psychologists, social workers, and community-based organizations such as
the Hawai’i Primary Care Association. A number of psychologists working in
CHCs testified and made compelling statements, but clearly the most
powerful message they communicated to the legislature was their very
presence in the rural and underserved communities.
“Organized psychiatry, also realizing that the RxP bill had
‘legs,’ was particularly unkind at the hearing. It’s amazing that some of
our legislators still find their self-serving arguments persuasive. Does
it matter that so few of them provide care to the underserved? Does it
matter that they have not initiated any meaningful efforts to address the
mental health problems of this population? Thankfully, some of our
legislators continue to champion our efforts to increase access to care,
despite the opposition.
“Psychiatry fervently brought out the same tired arguments. They
reported that the number of Hawaii psychiatrists per capita is greater than
in most other states, but failed to mention that very few psychiatrists
will treat Medicaid, welfare or uninsured patients. Indeed, even in rural
Honolulu, it is near impossible for a welfare patient to get an appointment
with a psychiatrist. Psychiatry did their best to scare the legislature by
conjuring up visions of psychologists killing patients and, of course,
failed to mention evidence from the DoD reports, the GAO reports and the
Louisiana psychologists that suggested a far more positive
reality. Thankfully, several psychologists who testified late in the
session had the opportunity to correct these distortions.
“More egregious were the outright lies and misrepresentations. A
state psychiatrist, attempting to minimize the severe lack of psychiatric
services, testified that ‘every square mile of the State is covered by
psychiatrists in the Adult Mental Health Division,’ but forgot to mention
that the Division provides services only to the SMI population. After
Robin spoke eloquently and in detail about the additional training
prescribing psychologists receive, a psychiatrist told the legislators it
was an ‘11 week training program.’ After Robin provided a map showing
where psychologists were providing services in Medically Underserved Areas,
a psychiatrist testified that psychologists don’t work in underserved
areas. We were also amused by the creativity of the testimony: one
psychiatrist said we don’t read medical journals and therefore shouldn’t
prescribe; another psychiatrist showed a graph with two years of RxP
training presented as two hours. When pressed by the legislators to define
the minimum training necessary to prescribe, the psychiatrists reluctantly
suggested the training required for licensure as an APRN. When asked what
that training entailed, they didn’t have a clue! A Professor of Psychiatry
called both psychology and the legislature ‘immoral’ for promoting the bill.
“One of the more disturbing moments at the hearing was when a
noticeably medicated patient read testimony that had been prepared for her
in opposition to RxP. The patient stumbled over words she could not
pronounce and obviously had not seen before, parroting arguments that she
didn’t appear to understand.
“Over the past two decades we have placed many psychologists in
underserved areas of the State; psychologists are in 80% of all CHCs and
the goal is to have 100% by the end of 2006. We have articulated a
financial model that will allow CHCs to easily recoup the costs of hiring
medical psychologists. We have a school (Argosy University/Honolulu) with
a primary mission of training psychologists to work with diverse and
marginalized populations. We have a post-doctoral psychopharmacology
training program in place. On the other hand, psychiatry is placing only
3% of its graduates in underserved areas. It can’t fill psychiatry
residency positions without recruiting 40% from foreign
countries. Psychiatry’s goal at the hearing was to install fear and
confusion in the legislature. In the past, this strategy was
effective. It appears, however, that the reasoned word is gaining
ascendancy.” And, we would add, that HPA’s membership is fully
engaged. Aloha,

Pat DeLeon, former APA President – Division 29 – May, 2006

PublicHealth said:
independently.
despite the opposition.
engaged. Aloha,

I want a $250.00 honorarium before I'll even consider reading that lengthy tripe.

PublicHealth said:
independently.
despite the opposition.
engaged. Aloha,

You couldn't post a LINK?

<--- Introducing, the one and only, the mighty pug of all.....TIGGER!! He barks, he cuddles, he shall take your last bit of food--beware when you are not looking. He is a sly one! :love:

Milo said:
I want a $250.00 honorarium before I'll even consider reading that lengthy tripe.

LOL!