How was todays pcat experience? Oct 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenil2005

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i was scared to death about the reading and math section but i think i did best in those sections and not that well in chem and bio in which i was very confident about scoring a lot of points... but overall i think i should get betwen 60-70 composite...but who knows it might be well over or well below..so my fingers are crossed..

Members don't see this ad.

I took the 10/20/07 exam, and I would have to say out of the 15 practice tests I took (PCAT success, Cliff's, Barons, Online Practice Exams on Harcourt, Flashcards) none of them reflected how the test actually was. I have a minor in math, and its not that i struggled with the problems i did because the ones i worked out and answered i feel very confident on, but honestly some of the problems did require a minute or two of work, and for that section you are alloted less than a minute to do them. Since I am not a human calculator (darn) i didnt get to answer every question as thoroughly as i wanted to, i think i just bubbled the last 8 to 10 answers. The Chem section kinda bogged me too i think i had to just bubble 6 or 7 of them, but the ones I read through i feel good about. The Biology, Verbal, and Comprehension wasnt bad, I had enough time to double check my answers. The writing I'm leaving that up to God and a very lenient grader :D, writing is def not my strong suit! After reflecting for a week on how it went I am dumbfounded. I dont know whether to expect a 90 or a 50! I have a 3.8 GPA and am applying to Pharm School with my BS in Biology (minor in math) in the spring, but i am looking to mainly stay in Texas UIW being my first choice (born and raised in SA,TX). I know people that got into Kingsvill and UIW with 50's but i really wanted a 95 (parents promised a very nice gift if I did good :D lol). I think though out of all the exams (GRE,MCAT ECT) this one is the least organized and by far the least user friendly. My friends who took the GRE the same day we took our exam left theirs with their score in hand. In fact i think we are the only exam that is still done on paper. I guess the intent of the exam is to be hard because if it was easy everyone would do it, but giving an exam with sections that are almost impossible to finish unless you can mentally do organic reactions in your mind or have a calculator implanted in your brain, is kind of heatbreaking for test takers, because we walk out of there feeling horrible, like we did not study hard enough, and in my case i feel that there was really nothing else i could do given all the prep work i did! i guess i will just have to wait for another long 5 weeks to find out how I did! :luck: hope everyone does well, or well enough to get into the schools ya'll are applying for!

i am from india and the math section on pcat was a joke except 2-3 word problems...i don't know but people on this forum had me scared which helped me to be focused and ready for it...

where you from anyway...i may use your country math books if u think that helps !

If you know Chinese, you may use our textbooks. ^_^ I don't know my scores. Maybe they will be terrible but I can't say the exam is difficult at all.

Anyway, practice more. And please don't be scared by the threads here. Some people definitely didn't work hard for the exam so they kept saying the exam was terrible. I saw students took a nap during the 10/20 test. Would you believe what they told you?

Members don't see this ad :)
while some people may not work hard on the exams i think that over 50% of the students in school to pursue pharmacy are doing the best that they can do. Not everyone is a brain, i accept that i smart but i have my own struggles. I think that most of the people on this website come from many different walks of life, and the fact that they take time to write and try to undserstand differnt things about the pharmacy proffesion is showing that they want to learn more and also confer with their peers about certain situations. I would like to think I am smart, and there are going to be people that are smarter than me, and others who may have to work harder to get where they want to be, but their opinions are their opinions. While you and others felt the section a certain section was cake, others do not, and there is wrong with that. If i had found this site before i took my PCAT I think i may have felt more ready (not that i hadnt preparared, i had been studying since may for the october PCAT), because i could have talked to other students and maybe have gained some useful info that would help me.

If you know Chinese, you may use our textbooks. ^_^ I don't know my scores. Maybe they will be terrible but I can't say the exam is difficult at all.

Anyway, practice more. And please don't be scared by the threads here. Some people definitely didn't work hard for the exam so they kept saying the exam was terrible. I saw students took a nap during the 10/20 test. Would you believe what they told you?

Yes! I'm from Korea and math was a joke to me too. I think it's becasue we study and practice math really hard in middle and high school without using the calculator. (--> it's not allowed) so we all have to draw very complex graphs and do difficult math problems over and over again.

English was HARD!!! as a non-native speaker.. :confused:
Even though I studied GRE vocab, I still don't know how to get the verbal part right.
I have never seen this word.. HOE... it's not a hard word, so I don't see something like this in the advanced vocab book. That's the problem.

Yes! I'm from Korea and math was a joke to me too. I think it's becasue we study and practice math really hard in middle and high school without using the calculator. (--> it's not allowed) so we all have to draw very complex graphs and do difficult math problems over and over again.

English was HARD!!! as a non-native speaker.. :confused:
Even though I studied GRE vocab, I still don't know how to get the verbal part right.
I have never seen this word.. HOE... it's not a hard word, so I don't see something like this in the advanced vocab book. That's the problem.

right on Notcoy

while some people may not work hard on the exams i think that over 50% of the students in school to pursue pharmacy are doing the best that they can do. Not everyone is a brain, i accept that i smart but i have my own struggles. I think that most of the people on this website come from many different walks of life, and the fact that they take time to write and try to undserstand differnt things about the pharmacy proffesion is showing that they want to learn more and also confer with their peers about certain situations. I would like to think I am smart, and there are going to be people that are smarter than me, and others who may have to work harder to get where they want to be, but their opinions are their opinions. While you and others felt the section a certain section was cake, others do not, and there is wrong with that. If i had found this site before i took my PCAT I think i may have felt more ready (not that i hadnt preparared, i had been studying since may for the october PCAT), because i could have talked to other students and maybe have gained some useful info that would help me.

You aren't alone. :)