How was Berkeley's Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry bout before. Anyways, it's kinda ugly to bring up the whole issue with admission regarding gender, race, age, sexual orientation, etc. In my opinion for admission to professional school, qualifications are the only thing that should matter. The only pickle is what would you do if Mister X and Madam Y are both equally qualified?

I'm a guy, and I'm optomistic about being favored, but solely on my achievements and opinion of my interview.

I didnt mean to come off as having animosity towards admissions for their decisions. I agree that the most qualified should be accepted. I'm just saying that with the class about 1/3 males, statistically speaking guys have had a longer shot at being admitted. And with those probabilities in mind, it seemed like there were awfully many guys at interview day. whether the statistics hold true for this years class is obviously uncertain.

Members don't see this ad.

That was kinda mean. Just curious, but how many of you people are female? At interview day, it didn't seem to be an overwhelming female presence, maybe 60-65% female - at least to me (i'm a guy). Given that berkeley doesnt take into consideration sex, yet less than 20 people in each of the classes are male, it seems like the odds are not in my favor. What do you all think?

As a female, I agree that it does seem like there are more females going into optometry (I've noticed from other interviews, not UCBSO)... but you also have to consider the fact that optometry is a VERY family-friendly career compared to other healthcare professions. Also, there are currently more females in undergraduate universities in the US... BUT not by that much of a difference! I truly don't believe you men are at a disadvantage by any means... I think the difference is really just because there are more females interested in the profession.

I think the difference is really just because there are more females interested in the profession.

Blysssful, I completely agree. I don't think that Berkeley favors either gender, and applicants are admitted based on academics, general aptitude, and experience. However, there are some other schools which try to maintain a gender balance in their admitted class. I think Pacific is one of them. That's why if you are male, you may have a better chance at a school that has such a policy. But by no means are you disadvantaged at a school that doesn't look at gender. Looking around on interview day at Berkeley, I saw a LOT more females than males by far. I barely saw any dudes. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or just too nervous about other things!

Members don't see this ad :)
Blysssful, I completely agree. I don't think that Berkeley favors either gender, and applicants are admitted based on academics, general aptitude, and experience. However, there are some other schools which try to maintain a gender balance in their admitted class. I think Pacific is one of them. That's why if you are male, you may have a better chance at a school that has such a policy. But by no means are you disadvantaged at a school that doesn't look at gender. Looking around on interview day at Berkeley, I saw a LOT more females than males by far. I barely saw any dudes. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or just too nervous about other things!

sorry, let me try to make myself more clear: i dont think berkeley favors either gender and that wasnt the point of my post. I was just trying to state that there are only 1/3 males in the past classes, and, being a male, statistically, my chances superficially appear to be smaller. sorry for the misunderstanding!! monday is coming up...lets just start worrying again for that phone call or dreaded e-mail!!:scared:

I was just trying to state that there are only 1/3 males in the past classes, and, being a male, statistically, my chances superficially appear to be smaller.

Sorry I misunderstood you! Superficially, maybe yes. There are just less males in each class because less males apply to OD school in general. But you have just as good a chance as anybody else here! I am making myself more anxious by returning to read these posts. Maybe I'll quit this for a few days. I wish we could all get in!

i just got a call from sharon joyce today. UCBSO class of 2013 for me! best of luck to the rest of you all!

omg! are u serious!? congrats!!!! will they be making ALL the calls today then?!?!?!?! or throughout the week??? does anyone know?!

Hi Everyone! I just got the phone call 10 minutes ago! Good luck everyone!

ahhh!! congrats...now im freaking out at work! No email or phone call!!! Did anyone get an email????

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, the registration date of poster #1 is scaring me too.

+pissed+

I know, the registration date of poster #1 is scaring me too.

+pissed+

If you need proof I can record the voicemail I got from Sharon today or give you a picture of the missed call I received on my phone. LOL! Hopefully you guys will get your phone calls by tomorrow! Good luck!

Last edited:
If you need proof I can record the voicemail I got from Sharon today or give you a picture of the missed call I received on my phone. LOL! Hopefully you guys will get your phone calls by tomorrow! Good luck!

You should post your username under the thread "Accepted" and be the first one to add your name to UCBSO!

Maybe once u get accepted, you could tell us what seats u guys are giving up. Or if, by some off chance you are NOT going to take your Berkley seat (do people do that?).

Maybe once u get accepted, you could tell us what seats u guys are giving up. Or if, by some off chance you are NOT going to take your Berkley seat (do people do that?).

apparently 7 people or so did last year. Berkeley claimed they have something like a 94% commitment rate...meaning 94% of the people who initially received acceptances will actually attend.

Last edited:
so wait, why aren't the acceptance/rejection posts flooding in at this point? Two people posted that they were accepted, that was 2 days ago and then not one post either way from anyone else since? I understand that not everyone who applied is on this forum, but last year a lot of people posted here when they got in. So are we to believe that Berkeley informed a small handful of people on monday then just stopped?

so wait, why aren't the acceptance/rejection posts flooding in at this point? Two people posted that they were accepted, that was 2 days ago and then not one post either way from anyone else since? I understand that not everyone who applied is on this forum, but last year a lot of people posted here when they got in. So are we to believe that Berkeley informed a small handful of people on monday then just stopped?

not 2 days ago, it was yesterday apparently.

ah, sorry, I read the post date wrong I guess. But my post still stands, it's been nearly 24 hours since the first person posted, you would think that at least a few people would have posted one way or the other by now.

I got a phone call yesterday! I am accepted! How about everyone else?

I just got an acceptance phone call 10 minutes ago! I guess Sharon's still making calls today and she said she still had a bunch more to make so don't lose hope. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
mm. anyone get an e-mail yet? i feel like im running out of time for that phone call..

No email, no call yet. Anyone else get a call?

My last name is in the O-Z range. Wonder if they've gotten to those people yet.

no call or email for me either. I'm a J. getting very nervous...

well, i'm an "L" but i got my call yesterday. so it's probably not in alphabetical order?

I'm a W so thats the only thing thats been keeping me sane!

or maybe by when you turned in your app? i know turned mine in a day before the deadline on the 15th. also, i was in the red group.

I was also in the red group and turned my app in on the 15th...:oops:

I was also in red group and turned in my app right before the deadline.

I turned my application in early October.. haha.. but no email/phone calls yet.

I got my phone call at 347pm...and I got in :) UCB 2013. I think they might be doing it in alpha order because my friend whos last name started with an A got the call at 10am yesterday and I got mine at 347 and my last name is L and my other friend got hers at 4 and hers is N... We were all in different groups too...I dont know but, could it be a pattern? I hope I'm wrong though...but my friends told me the same. Good luck everyone!...btw Im a guy.

Last edited:
My friend got his call around 3 yesterday and his last name starts with an R. So maybe their are not going in alpha order!

My friend got his call around 3 yesterday and his last name starts with an R. So maybe their are not going in alpha order!

I don't think they're going in alphabetic order because my last name starts with N and I got a call yesterday at around 11am. Yay UCBSO Class of 2013!!

I don't think they're going in alphabetic order because my last name starts with N and I got a call yesterday at around 11am. Yay UCBSO Class of 2013!!

yay!!! UCBSO Class of 2013!!! I can't wait for the fb group to start :) Excited to meet you all

OMG I am so excited!
Sharon just called me and offered me a seat!!
I got the call at 3:41 pm PST.
I was a yellow and my last name starts with M..
Good luck to everybody!