How tough is undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AfterMath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting college this fall and I was just wondering what I should expect. I was wondering how hard the pre-opt classes are compared to high school classes? Also, how much more do you have to study in undergrad? thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

It's as tough as you want it to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd/4th year can get a bit weird, other than that its pretty much like high school but a tad bit accelerated.

undergrad is for sure more difficult than HS, and i went to a college prep private HS. It all depends on your motivation and how you budget your time.

I did very well in HS without trying.
That was my downfall, I expected college to be the same and I failed miserably. Be prepared to actually work for your grades.

I work with freshmen, and I see it happen to a lot of people. In HS people are used to putting in little/no work, do bad on exams and still pass. In college these people do bad on every exam, and some how still expect to pass the class. There usually isn't the buffer of homework to raise your grade.

Time management is a huge part of it. Keep your motivation to show up to class and get to know your professors. Talk to other people and/or check ratemyprofessor to see which professors to take for GE as those classes should generally be the easier of your classes and help boost your GPA.