How to study for third year: Anki, question banks, or both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Konigstiger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting rotations next week but I have no clue how to approach studying for it... I got pretty decent in-house grades in M1 and M2 using Anki (though I still have no idea whether I actually passed my boards), but it was very time consuming and therefore I'm wondering if it is even feasible to use during third year when I'm going to be at the hospital for 8+ hours a day. For those of you who have done well in third year on shelf exams and STEP 2, what was your primary method of studying?

Right now I am thinking about just using UWorld to do questions every day and that's it, but I am a bit worried if I'll be able to engrave the things I learn in UWorld into my long-term memory without Anki. I am also wondering how many questions per day I should do, and if I can just use the UWorld STEP 2 bank for every rotation or if I need to purchase separate banks for every shelf exam.

Sorry if this thread has been made before. Basically, I am curious as to how you guys were able to study during third year while simultaneously spending so much time at the hospital, because right now I am not seeing how I can possibly get good grades during third year...

Members don't see this ad.

I would read Reddit and sdn threads to see different strategies. Anking has a helpful YouTube video on this question. Basically UWorld and make Anki cards for every question you get wrong

I would read Reddit and sdn threads to see different strategies. Anking has a helpful YouTube video on this question. Basically UWorld and make Anki cards for every question you get wrong
I watched Anking's video(s), and his strategy was to use the Step 2 Anki deck + doing questions every day + making even more Anki cards for every question you get wrong. If I followed this, I would be learning 53 new cards a day for my first rotation just from the Step 2 deck, in addition to doing a bunch of practice questions and then adding the new cards that I would have to make from wrong answers.

This doesn't even seem possible. Do people actually do this? Third year is going to be absolute hell and way harder than M1 or M2 if this is what it takes.

I watched Anking's video(s), and his strategy was to use the Step 2 Anki deck + doing questions every day + making even more Anki cards for every question you get wrong. If I followed this, I would be learning 53 new cards a day for my first rotation just from the Step 2 deck, in addition to doing a bunch of practice questions and then adding the new cards that I would have to make from wrong answers.

This doesn't even seem possible. Do people actually do this? Third year is going to be absolute hell and way harder than M1 or M2 if this is what it takes.
Depends on your goals obviously. He also has a strategy to minimize the number of new cards per day but yea 3rd year is 100% more difficult than preclinical. Work a full day then go home to study. Yet somehow you find a way