How to study for the PCAT/Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavenderhearts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be preparing to take the PCAT in October or November of 2015. (I have to save up the money to buy Dr. Collins PCAT study Guide, pay for the actual test and pearson practice test,). I want to start studying in May of next year because at the beginning of the year I will be studying for the pharmacy technician certification exam. I need your advice on how to prepare a study schedule that coinsides with the rigor of the PCAT test such as the hardest material to the easiest material. It has been two years since Ive been in school so I dont remember much at all about the PCAT but I want to take it before I go back to college to finish my degree in biology. For example, what concepts does the test put more emphasis on and concepts that are harder to learn. I havent had biochemistry, statistics, and human anatomy yet.

If anyone has any suggestions I have an opened mind.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not in a rush to get into Pharmacy school, the more prerequisites you finish in college, the easier the test.

I took the PCAT without taking anatomy at all. I had 2 semesters of general chemistry, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semesters of biology - neither of which discussed anatomy. I booked my test for September 5th in the middle of June but I officially started studying after I got back from a week long cruise which was July 8. I purchased the Kaplan study book and I finished it completely - cover to cover. I also purchased 2 of the online Pearson PCAT practice tests which REALLY helped and the Barron's PCAT guide book - it was filled with practice questions that I would take to work and school and do during my free time. The Kaplan book really helped me with anatomy. I was successfully able to answer majority of the questions because of the decent understanding of anatomy that I got from the Kaplan book. My biology professor was a biochemist so I was exposed to a lot of biochemistry already, but the Kaplan book did help reenforce what he taught me. Here's what I ended up with.

Verbal SS: 416 PR: 74
Biology SS: 421 PR: 79
RC SS: 407 PR: 64
Quantitative Ability SS: 420 PR: 82
Chemistry SS: 472 PR: 99
Composite SS: 427 PR: 92

Hello everyone,
I am the person who came up with this thread two years ago. My luck getting the money I need to get back in school is not going well yet but it will be. I need advice on how to study for the PCAT around my work schedule and what can I do to discipline myself to stay on my study schedule. I work at CVS at a pharmacy technician part time. I am about to buy the new Dr. Collins PCAT study guide from someone up here. Your advice would be very helpful, Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I am the person who came up with this thread two years ago. My luck getting the money I need to get back in school is not going well yet but it will be. I need advice on how to study for the PCAT around my work schedule and what can I do to discipline myself to stay on my study schedule. I work at CVS at a pharmacy technician part time. I am about to buy the new Dr. Collins PCAT study guide from someone up here. Your advice would be very helpful, Thank you

Since I'm a P4 now, I can't remember my exact study schedule but I do remember some days (not every day) studying up to 8-10 hours a day and I probably studied 1 and 1/2 months. The quizzes/tests are VERY important. Time yourself to get those done in an efficient manner, as if you were taking the PCAT (again, I can't give you an exact time because it's been 4 years). Look at the questions you got wrong and understand why you got those questions wrong. Take as much study time as you need to get comfortable with the study material and quizzes/tests. I studied 1 and 1/2 months but everyone is different. I just wanted to make sure I got a good grasp on the study material, along with the quizzes/tests.

Also, I don't remember looking at the essay portion because the essay meant nothing when I took the PCAT (things may be different now so double check, but that's my opinion).

Dr. Collins' study materials are the best and you made the right decision purchasing those. You're in good hands!

I worked at an Italian restaurant while going to school full time, I just did Kaplan and got a 99, I was an English major though, so reading, arguments, etc. were really easy for me and I read very quickly, so I got through more questions than most.