How to Study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plzhelpmeh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm taking the MCAT in January or later of 2017 and wanted to start studying this summer. I was hoping to review content over the summer and then just keep taking practice exams until the test. I'm thinking about using the Berkeley Review because they have the most practice questions to do while I'm learning the material.

My main question is if this plan is actually feasible? Most prep books have over 1000 pages of material. Am I supposed to remember all this detailed information, in which case I should start studying right before I take the MCAT? Or is it more about learning the general basics and then doing a lot of practice problems to learn how to apply it?

I also had some questions about the Berkeley Review books. I'm unsure about what to do for the psych/soc section as Berkeley only has a psych book or for the CARS section as I think the new test has more humanities-focused passages than the Berkeley CARS book, which hasn't been updated yet. I'm also worried that the Physics and Chemistry books may be too time-consuming as these subjects are now just a minor part of the test relative to bio/biochem. Should I use the EK books in these areas instead?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read the stickies at the top of the mcat section. All the info you need is there. I especially like the (509+) one.