How to stop deathspiral of a retail store?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been getting worse and worse. All but 1 senior tech quit within a few months. Rxm is quitting. More responsibilities been pushed onto remaining few staff who actually know what they're doing. Frontend staff are terribly trained and cant help in pharmacy really at all. New staff are being churned through as it gets more out of control. Dm refuses to give more hours or help. "Just find more opportunities for efficiency". Only option is to jump ship too?

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
This happens every fall to random stores. Flu shot season is the breaking point for a lot of people.

You can try to leave if you want. Or stay, it'll get better eventually. I rode through a storm where we went to 90+ pages of QP at CVS last flu season. We eventually got through it. Every store is precarious these days. One or two good staff leave and it all come tumbling down. Wherever you go next year, it might be the same story.

Reactions: 7 users
Ah, the limitless foundation of efficiency. Everyone's favorite non-answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only part time now but I cant even imagine the circus that is flu season at alot of the stores these days

Reactions: 1 user
A few non-24 hour stores in my area are in this same situation; so bad to the point I have to go in overnight (non-business hours) to clean up to buy (new) PIC some time. This is NOT a long term solution; despite what corporate thinks employees are not easily replaceable (time training, experience matters greatly). Pretty much up to you and your mind set and the environment you want to create with new staff what you should do

This is in midst of keeping queue clean in my store despite having 1 staff on leave and 1 staff on vacation; currently no techs on leave but things are going to get dicey as the DM plans on taking techs for these ****-show stores (can't emphasize the importance of having a few good well trained techs at all times)

Last edited:
  • Haha
A few non-24 hour stores in my area are in this same situation; so bad to the point I have to go in overnight (non-business hours) to clean up to buy (new) PIC some time. This is NOT a long term solution; despite what corporate thinks employees are not easily replaceable (time training, experience matters greatly). Pretty much up to you and your mind set and the environment you want to create with new staff what you should do

This is in midst of keeping queue clean in my store despite having 1 staff on leave and 1 staff on vacation; currently no techs on leave but things are going to get dicey as the DM plans on taking techs for these ****-show stores (can't emphasize the importance of having a few good well trained techs at all times)

Why are you working for free overnight?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
LOL @ buying anyone time. You are giving your time away for free to a ****sack corporation

wtf...don't ever do this.

Yeah don’t do that man. If you make a major mistake and they find out what you’ve been doing, who do you think they will throw under the bus? To me, staying a couple of hours over is fine, but coming in overnight on an unscheduled day.... Yeah.... Nope...

Regardless "the LOL @ buying anyone time" still applies. I say this as someone who's gotten paid to "clean up" ****show stores where they don't know how to train anyone or get rid of people. It is not appreciated and these dip****s working at these stores won't learn to carry their own weight.

Only wagsrxm can stop a death spiral. Anyone else is screwed.

In all seriousness, you really are screwed. It’s the wrong time of year to train a new staff. If any of the staff make it to next year you might have some Hope next year. In all likelihood you will just end up in the same mess next year. It’s a tough cycle to break out of.

Reactions: 5 users
When was the last time you guys hired an excellent tech in retail? I think it's been 6 years at my store. Most of the time we hire good techs they quit within a few months for a better job or they immediately walk out of the interview as soon as the low wages come up.

Members don't see this ad :)
They never said they are working for free.

So you think the DM is paying a staff Rph to work overnight after the entire store is closed? Why would any DM do this instead of sending a floater to help while the pharmacy is open??

Yeah don’t do that man. If you make a major mistake and they find out what you’ve been doing, who do you think they will throw under the bus? To me, staying a couple of hours over is fine, but coming in overnight on an unscheduled day.... Yeah.... Nope...

Imagine if he/she got robbed while working overnight when the store isn't even open! Everyone would be like wtf are you doing working in the pharmacy after hours?

Who said I was working for free? FFS:bang:
Anyways...back to the topic on hand...anyone else want to hear from wagsrxm?

you already know what he’s gonna say. Something something efficient something something metrix.

• Haha
The "deathspiral" is difficult to stop but not impossible.

A new, experienced RxM needs to step up and start enforcing rules and policies. Any senior techs still there needs to help train incoming techs. Management needs to hire the right people. People willing to learn skills and learn on the job, while dealing with the stressful environment that is retail are the best candidates. As the staff pharmacist, you must also assist the RxM and senior tech in putting out the fires and making sure everyone gets trained as efficiently as possible.

Doing all this during flu shot season is not ideal, but those that do make it, will be seasoned veterans ready to turn your store around. As mentioned above, "working for free" is not a long term solution, but a short term, temporary answer. If you let the pharmacy sink, perhaps management will wake up and start helping out.

Wish plain Oxy 30 was taken off the market. Tired of suspecting every script, arguing with prescribers and then dealing with angry customers when it’s denied..

I have never seen a legitimate oxycodone IR 30 mg prescription in my life, so they are easy to deny.

It's been getting worse and worse. All but 1 senior tech quit within a few months. Rxm is quitting. More responsibilities been pushed onto remaining few staff who actually know what they're doing. Frontend staff are terribly trained and cant help in pharmacy really at all. New staff are being churned through as it gets more out of control. Dm refuses to give more hours or help. "Just find more opportunities for efficiency". Only option is to jump ship too?
Flu season apocalypse is the breaking point for so many pharmacies. You know you have a house of cards when any one thing collapses your operations.

The one thing that will get you out of this situation is a commitment to purpose.

With so many voices yelling at you from all corners (patient, boss, regulatory, etc.), how do you focus on the truly important activities your pharmacy needs?

Everyone knows that staffing is the problem, but how do you actually double down on that?

Someone else said it already; but if you're hiring during flu season, it's too late. I start hiring for flu season 1 year PRIOR.

With that being said, the next best thing is:

1) borrowing internal employees

Call every single store (or influence your DM to help) in your market (not just district). Rule of 10% means this is a numbers game. For every 10 stores, you may have ONE LEAD. But this is the fastest, cheapest, most effective solution to BUY YOU TIME. Right now, you need the time to focus on HIRING and TRAINING.

2) transferring in internals

Best case scenario, is you find an employee who is ready to move to your area and is up for the challenge. But don't hold your breath. The chances are super low. You need to be honest with internals and explain the current apocalyptic state of the state. Only those with the right mindset coming in will have the endurance and truly be able to help.

Partner with your DM to approve job changes/compensation for those that are up for the challenge. Even a lateral job change can be offered a rate change. IMPORTANT: do not offer this to everyone. You don't want someone interested only in the money. They won't last and will take their promotion with them when they leave. You have to so the hard work to filter and select the best candidates, but then reward them afterwards so they stay. If your store is half as bad as you say, most DMs will be okay approving AT LEAST a dollar or 2 raise to fix a black hole. Any DM that can't get their Regional to approve a few bucks for this type of situation is forever doomed.

3) hiring experienced externals

This is the long term solution that requires your investment. We all know how slim the chances of finding the best techs (and retaining them) are. But this is your most important talent strategy.

Here are 3 ways to retain exceptional talent

a) Pay - Again partner with your leaders (DM, RM, HR). You must be prepared to justify your decision (years of experience, background, skills, etc.). It can be difficult to quantify and measure these things in dollar amount. But you'll learn quickly how to do it right after you fail a few times. But you need to top the average market wage by at least $0.50 cents. I recommend to start with $2 above (this takes at least 2-3 levels of approval, so be prepared to wait). But if your store is hemorrhaging $$ and company brand image is at risk, this should be an easy approval. You have to spin it so they see the ROI.

b) Benefits

Not talking about vacation and PTO, although this is possible. It's just a lot of work that's not within your control. I would avoid this. What you can offer is the schedule of their dreams. Always ask, "What's your perfect schedule in an ideal world?" Repeat it when you offer the job to them, repeat it when you onboard and train them. Remind them that they get the schedule and hours that they asked for and FOLLOW THROUGH on your promise. A technician's work/life balance is the most valuable thing a pharmacy leader can offer. Promise it, and keep the promise and you'll retain your techs longer.

c) Culture

The long term solution. The glue to every "pharmily" culture is building trust and good will between all colleagues. There's so many things your can read about online about leadership and culture. This won't get you out of your crisis, but it needs to be invested in for the long term. Spend dollars right now to fix your black hole, but spend pennies EVERY single day towards promoting a positive work environment. Compound effect will reveal itself over time.

4) hiring trainees

Long term solution, but will be worth it. Everyone wants an experienced employee. No one wants to put in the work to train someone from scratch. And they miss out on the very best talent.

If you're filling 3 full time positions, you don't need to hire just 3 people. Hire 3 FT and 1 PT. Or 2 FT and 2 PT.

Or, what I recommend is 3 FT techs and 2 Part time, per diem tech trainees.

Your payroll budget is only affected by the hours you and your company promise the tech. So, if you have a mutual understanding that a brand-new tech has to train and meet certain expectations before they are promised FT hours, you can have as many part time per diem techs as you want. We all need cashiers during crazy times, and this is an opportunity for them to learn the ropes and add value. It's like an intern position they have to prove themselves in. As long as you keep your promise (scheduling, availability, and training), and even find them hours if they want to float, they will remain loyal.

Out of my team of 8 techs, 4 of them had no experience when I brought them on. And they are my life blood at the pharmacy. Talent is talent, and you need to incorporate trainees into your hiring strategy.

While you're doubling down on hiring and training, which will consume 50% of your time, you need to focus on the minimum viable standards for operating a pharmacy.

That means, only focus on patient safety, BOP, and DEA requirements. 3rd parties are your only enemies right now. If you're the last of the Mohicans, your leaders should be treating you like royalty. They cannot afford to lose you.

Metrics, flu shots, and even service are EXPECTED to go down the drain. Allocate your energy and resources wisely. Bide your time.

Focus on the waiters, learn to work in the red, teach your team how to de escalate for you, and give away lots of $5 gift cards to protect your company brand image.

Ask for help, and don't stop. Your bosses should be hearing from you daily, weekly, monthly until they are so sick of your situation they willingly throw $$$ at you. You are doing your job, and if you do all the above, you will get out of it sooner than later. But you have to put in the work. You have it harder than most, but there's always a way.

Godspeed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

Flu season is finally over... Only did 10 shots yesterday instead of the usual 30.

Is there such a thing as "working off the clock" if you are salary? I'm not talking about CA or other really generous labor law states but I guess if your workplace has a policy in place to not do it then your good. The prospect of being robbed while you are doing paperwork afterhours does make me think about it and liability. Sort of reminds me how you are not supposed to stop anyone with a gun and give them anything they want but you know corporate wants to protect there losses so do you risk pushing the alarm button even if they say keep your hands up. You want to be a good employee especially now that you can be replaced with an eager grad that will do it for half pay.

I have never seen a legitimate oxycodone IR 30 mg prescription in my life, so they are easy to deny.

Issue happens when your partner fills it. Then they come on your day.

Not being on the same page about these scripts can result in difficult situations. At my previous store, we didn’t fill single oxy 30 rx in entire year! And my current partner has a different philosophy. As long as dr verifies that they prescribe it, just fill it.

But which pill mill doctor ever denies it?

Flu season is finally over... Only did 10 shots yesterday instead of the usual 30.

Lol wait until the news posts about a spike in hospital admissions due to glue or something to that effect

We had a hospice guy who required that much (and I believe MS contin 120mg Q12H or something along those lines).

a) Pay - Again partner with your leaders (DM, RM, HR). You must be prepared to justify your decision (years of experience, background, skills, etc.). It can be difficult to quantify and measure these things in dollar amount. But you'll learn quickly how to do it right after you fail a few times. But you need to top the average market wage by at least $0.50 cents. I recommend to start with $2 above (this takes at least 2-3 levels of approval, so be prepared to wait). But if your store is hemorrhaging $$ and company brand image is at risk, this should be an easy approval. You have to spin it so they see the ROI.

This kind of thing, and some of the other reasonable suggestions, would never be approved at my company. They will follow their metrics to hell if need be, and they have run many formerly busy stores into the ground with understaffing. I've had higher management tell me to do things like answer every phone call regardless of how busy it is (90% "is my prescription ready" - it isn't) or send the entire staff of two techs to run the cash registers (nothing is ready and nothing will ever be ready because nobody is filling prescriptions), and tell me I have a negative attitude when I point at the obvious problems with that decision.

The real solution is that things will either improve, or the customers will leave, you won't be so busy, and therefore things will improve in another way. Either way something that's unsustainable won't go on forever. If you're not the pharmacy manager you probably won't personally be blamed for declining script count, so there's really nothing to worry about, it's just not a lot of fun to work in that environment.

Your suggestions that have to do with things that can be controlled at the store level are all good ones.

When was the last time you guys hired an excellent tech in retail? I think it's been 6 years at my store. Most of the time we hire good techs they quit within a few months for a better job or they immediately walk out of the interview as soon as the low wages come up.
There is a over saturation of pharmacy. It is also much easier to find a competent pharmacist. In my state there are almost no barriers to becoming a tech. Cvs will train front store and sign the "waive" to get them their license. But that **** doesn't fly in LTC or hospital.

I was talking with my PIC today. For techs, the hospital and LTC pay better AND are less stressful. In true, retail should pay better to compensate for stress. Things will only change when the right people start dying because of medical errors. I am not talking about 86 year old grandma on 12 meds, I am talking about a young photogenic adult.

For techs, the hospital and LTC pay better AND are less stressful.

This is so 100% true that I don’t even understand why my LTC pharmacy ever has trouble recruiting. I just think retail techs don’t realize how much ridiculously better they can have it.

These retail ****shows are really convincing me to stay at my current independent. Coincidentally the pharmacist there are also all people who fled the retail life. Sure my pay is lower and my benefits are non-existent but at least I'm not suffering because the store doesn't do vaccinations, there are always a minimum of 4 techs (1 entering, 1 filling and 2 cashier/translators) and I found out apparently asian doctors are really against prescribing controlled substances cause I had 0 today and only about 3 C2s in the whole week. But god, health insurance prices are awful.

These retail ****shows are really convincing me to stay at my current independent. Coincidentally the pharmacist there are also all people who fled the retail life. Sure my pay is lower and my benefits are non-existent but at least I'm not suffering because the store doesn't do vaccinations, there are always a minimum of 4 techs (1 entering, 1 filling and 2 cashier/translators) and I found out apparently asian doctors are really against prescribing controlled substances cause I had 0 today and only about 3 C2s in the whole week. But god, health insurance prices are awful.
Understandable; I have often thought about the independent route even decades ago working as a technician & speaking with floater RPhs. Trade-off has always been the added sense of job security & schedule flexibility/location changes, etc. with chains but this seems to be much less alluring as time goes on (hour cuts, under-employed/many RPh not satisfied only getting like 30-32 hours/week)

Contrast with the burden of excessive work in the form of metrics, non-stop making of "action plans", constantly being burdened training new techs, new system updates/"programs"/goals, lack of autonomy from DMs (big one for me...nothing is ever good enough nor does anything make sense in terms of priority given the resources available), etc.

Last edited:
Understandable; I have often thought about the independent route even decades ago working as a technician & speaking with floater RPhs. Trade-off has always been the added sense of job security & schedule flexibility/location changes, etc. with chains but this seems to be much less alluring as time goes on (hour cuts, under-employed/many RPh not satisfied only getting like 30-32 hours/week)

Yeah...Job security with chains just doesn't seem like a thing now because of all the stores closing. Despite my lower pay, at least it balances out in the end because I'm being guaranteed 80 hours every 2 weeks from a 4 day one week and 5 day other week schedule. My friends who took on floater position positions are being guaranteed 35 hours a week right now and they can easily get more shifts but the cost is those shifts are pretty much always 1.5+ hours driving away and are usually only 4 hour shifts.

This kind of thing, and some of the other reasonable suggestions, would never be approved at my company. They will follow their metrics to hell if need be, and they have run many formerly busy stores into the ground with understaffing. I've had higher management tell me to do things like answer every phone call regardless of how busy it is (90% "is my prescription ready" - it isn't) or send the entire staff of two techs to run the cash registers (nothing is ready and nothing will ever be ready because nobody is filling prescriptions), and tell me I have a negative attitude when I point at the obvious problems with that decision.

The real solution is that things will either improve, or the customers will leave, you won't be so busy, and therefore things will improve in another way. Either way something that's unsustainable won't go on forever. If you're not the pharmacy manager you probably won't personally be blamed for declining script count, so there's really nothing to worry about, it's just not a lot of fun to work in that environment.

Your suggestions that have to do with things that can be controlled at the store level are all good ones.
I hear you. It sucks when you see behaviors that say metrics/$$ > people.

But you'd be surprised that it may not be a "company thing" holding us back if you are strategic with your approach.

I used to listen to my peers when they told me things could never be done..

Years of never pushing boundaries until I got tired of listening to other people.

If you think something should be done, find a way to make it happen. Many times, you have to follow proper channels with a political spin (overspending payroll is tough)

Other times, you can use your influence to be a trailblazer (Hiring as many part timers as you want and outsourcing them is easier)

It will feel like you're only one person trying to change the world, until the 2nd person joins you.

My experience says it has more to do with the field leaders (DM and RM) than the actual company. Investigate for yourself.

Instead of taking one leader's word, verify with 4 or 5 other field leaders. Most people only know the DMs and RMs in their own market. That is very skewed insight IMO

Unfortunately, the bosses are the gatekeepers, and much of what we think about the company rests on their behaviors and opinions.

But after networking more, I truly believe it's a matter of leadership skill and attitude that determines what pharmacy teams feel on the front lines.

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

Issue happens when your partner fills it. Then they come on your day.

Not being on the same page about these scripts can result in difficult situations. At my previous store, we didn’t fill single oxy 30 rx in entire year! And my current partner has a different philosophy. As long as dr verifies that they prescribe it, just fill it.

But which pill mill doctor ever denies it?

Well my main issue is with benzos but same type of problem with ****-for-brains doubling down on diazepam 10 #120 and clonazepam 2 #120 per 30 days