How to stand out as a DO for competitive residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol detectivealonzo is so bitter. Personally, I know of too many highly successful DO's to honestly think I can't do what I want as a DO. I will settle for a "good" residency if it gives me the training to become what I want and be good at it.

Nah i'm not bitter homie.

I'm honest.

Idk how many times I have said I am thankful to atleast be able to attend med school in the states, but I just wish I could go back and work harder and want OP and other pre-meds to make sure they set themselves up for success the best way possible...

and that is avoiding bull**** OPP, COMLEX, and this "preventative" care model that is pure hippie bull****.

Look.. you'll be great at whatever you do but... let's be real.

Med school is hard enough, and added stress of OPP and COMLEX is a hurdle.

It is what it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol detectivealonzo is so bitter. Personally, I know of too many highly successful DO's to honestly think I can't do what I want as a DO. I will settle for a "good" residency if it gives me the training to become what I want and be good at it.
This is the definition of whistling past the graveyard. You can do what you want as a DO, as long as what you want isn't a competitive residency.

Reactions: 3 users
Im noticing a trend between optimism with pre-meds/MS0s and pessimism with med students...interesting. Of course with some realism thrown in here and there.

Sorry this comment had nothing to do with the Q OP, carry on...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I came in here to say this. The best way to stand out as a DO for competitive residencies is to 1. Reject your DO acceptance 2. Throw your AACOMAS app in the trash 3. Get into an MD school. If you have the intelligence and work ethic to get into an MD school you have a chance at those competitive spots. If not, throw your dreams in the trash now because you aren't suddenly going to be a rockstar once you matriculate.

Truth hurts son.

Nah i'm not bitter homie.

I'm honest.

Idk how many times I have said I am thankful to atleast be able to attend med school in the states, but I just wish I could go back and work harder and want OP and other pre-meds to make sure they set themselves up for success the best way possible...

and that is avoiding bull**** OPP, COMLEX, and this "preventative" care model that is pure hippie bull****.

Look.. you'll be great at whatever you do but... let's be real.

Med school is hard enough, and added stress of OPP and COMLEX is a hurdle.

It is what it is.

I can see that and is something you have more experience in than me.

This is the definition of whistling past the graveyard. You can do what you want as a DO, as long as what you want isn't a competitive residency.

Define competitive residency. I have yet to meet a practicing osteopathic physician that is unhappy with the way things panned out for them. Well, besides detectivealonzo but he isn't practicing yet:rolleyes:

I can see that and is something you have more experience in than me.

Define competitive residency. I have yet to meet a practicing osteopathic physician that is unhappy with the way things panned out for them. Well, besides detectivealonzo but he isn't practicing yet:rolleyes:

The funny part of Dr. Death's statement is that it implies that being an MD will get you a competitive residency, which is not true. My argument is that actually for competitive residencies (at non-competitive locations) would be easier as a DO than as an MD to attain because of less competition. Ex. Neurosurgery, Derm, and Interventional Radiology). How manh DO's actually want to enter these fields, and DO's have their own residencies in those fields.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that an MD and a DO will not be seen on the same footing at many mid- to high-tier MD residencies, but the fact that there are DO residencies and fellowships in every field of medicine really makes me laugh when people say that DO's can't get a competitive residency.

Id much rather be a DO who got a DO residency in a competitive field (if I want one) than be an MD who got out-competed by other MD's for the same residency type and was resorted to do another specialty.

The only real caveat I've seen that's hindered DO's is when they do an AOA residency then try to apply for ACGME fellowship. That doesn't seem to end well....

Im noticing a trend between optimism with pre-meds/MS0s and pessimism with med students...interesting. Of course with some realism thrown in here and there.

Sorry this comment had nothing to do with the Q OP, carry on...

Okay, real talk for a second. The trend I'm noticing is a bunch of neurotic premeds arguing over MD vs DO, but once you actually cross over to the med student forum, this argument disappears and does not surface again, even when speaking to attendings. So this tells me one thing:

We collectively blow this issue way out of proportion and the only people that concern themselves with this are pre-meds.

Flipping through this thread for the past few days I have seen people imply that DOs have lower intellectual capabilities when compared to MDs and getting into a MD school suddenly makes you a "cut above the rest" when that isn't the case.

Seriously go talk to pair of DO and MD colleagues and tell them that the MD is superior because he is smarter and got a better education. They will both laugh you out of the room (I actually saw this happen once). It's a ridiculous notion to claim that MDs are magically better because of the degree or school alone. Board scores and your CV make you better than one another, not the letters after your name.

I mean really.. sometimes I wish the mods would just shut SDN down. It would give the lot of us one less outlet to stress and freak out over while being toxic to one another. Parts of it are great, but when threads like this devolve into MD vs DO threads it really reminds me why I don't hang out with pre-meds.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree that an MD and a DO will not be seen on the same footing at many mid- to high-tier MD residencies, but the fact that there are DO residencies and fellowships in every field of medicine really makes me laugh when people say that DO's can't get a competitive residency.

Id much rather be a DO who got a DO residency in a competitive field (if I want one) than be an MD who got out-competed by other MD's for the same residency type and was resorted to do another specialty.

The only real caveat I've seen that's hindered DO's is when they do an AOA residency then try to apply for ACGME fellowship. That doesn't seem to end well....

My only qualm with your argument is that by the time we match there won't be DO residencies anymore. Things could stay the same or change drastically. No one knows what's going to happen.

I was also told by drdeath and anatomygrey12 that I wouldn't get in this cycle with my school list.... I have 6 II's, attended one, and accepted at that school. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

The reason for this is because there are very few ultra competitive DO residencies than there are ultra competitive MD residencies. For example, there are 14 AOA optho residencies, but around 163 ACGME optho residencies. This is why a lot of us medical students and residents (even the veteran pre-meds on SDN) state your opportunities will be greater in MD schools.

Okay, real talk for a second. The trend I'm noticing is a bunch of neurotic premeds arguing over MD vs DO, but once you actually cross over to the med student forum, this argument disappears and does not surface again, even when speaking to attendings. So this tells me one thing:

We collectively blow this issue way out of proportion and the only people that concern themselves with this are pre-meds.

Flipping through this thread for the past few days I have seen people imply that DOs have lower intellectual capabilities when compared to MDs and getting into a MD school suddenly makes you a "cut above the rest" when that isn't the case.

Seriously go talk to pair of DO and MD colleagues and tell them that the MD is superior because he is smarter and got a better education. They will both laugh you out of the room (I actually saw this happen once). It's a ridiculous notion to claim that MDs are magically better because of the degree or school alone. Board scores and your CV make you better than one another, not the letters after your name.

I mean really.. sometimes I wish the mods would just shut SDN down. It would give the lot of us one less outlet to stress and freak out over while being toxic to one another. Parts of it are great, but when threads like this devolve into MD vs DO threads it really reminds me why I don't hang out with pre-meds.

Meh you will still see this MD vs. DO thing on the osteopathic med student forms and if you read allo enough you will find enough anti-DO stuff to make your blood boil (allo med is like an extension of allo pre-med, but more informed posters). Read more threads and you will see what I mean.

I was also told by drdeath and anatomygrey12 that I wouldn't get in this cycle with my school list.... I have 6 II's, attended one, and accepted at that school. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Good for you. It doesn't mean that our advice wasn't good or realistic based on the school list and stats you provided.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason for this is because there are very few ultra competitive DO residencies than there are ultra competitive MD residencies. For example, there are 14 AOA optho residencies, but around 163 ACGME optho residencies. This is why a lot of us medical students and residents (even the veteran pre-meds on SDN) state your opportunities will be greater in MD schools.

Ok so a few things:

1) there are roughly 1/4 DO graduates vs MD graduates so if we equate is proportionally then 40 AOA residencies in Optho would equal 160 for MD per capita of students.
2) Less DO students want to specialize compared to MD (10-15% of MD does primary care vs 50-60% of DO, precluding fellowships which for this argument is irrelevant).
3) Take 1 and 2 into consideration and your chances as a DO to match into one of those 14 Optho spots isn't so bad. Also, I'm gonna sound biased here, but those MD's gunning for competitive residencies are absolute beasts. Those are the people that easily outcompeted me to get into top MD schools and I wouldn't stand a chance competing against them for Optho in ACGME. I have a better chance at DO residencies or competing against IMG/FMG's who get those specialties.

Meh you will still see this MD vs. DO thing on the osteopathic med student forms and if you read allo enough you will find enough anti-DO stuff to make your blood boil (allo med is like an extension of allo pre-med, but more informed posters). Read more threads and you will see what I mean.

Like are we that toxic of a community that we must do this to our colleagues? We have bigger fish to fry than bickering like children over why the two letters after our names make us inferior/superior/equal. You know like mid-level encroachment or being successful in our selected specialties.

Ok so a few things:

1) there are roughly 1/4 DO graduates vs MD graduates so if we equate is proportionally then 40 AOA residencies in Optho would equal 160 for MD per capita of students.
2) Less DO students want to specialize compared to MD (10-15% of MD does primary care vs 50-60% of DO, precluding fellowships which for this argument is irrelevant).
3) Take 1 and 2 into consideration and your chances as a DO to match into one of those 14 Optho spots isn't so bad. Also, I'm gonna sound biased here, but those MD's gunning for competitive residencies are absolute beasts. Those are the people that easily outcompeted me to get into top MD schools and I wouldn't stand a chance competing against them for Optho in ACGME. I have a better chance at DO residencies or competing against IMG/FMG's who get those specialties.

1) No dude, its 14 residencies not 40 residences (plus the ACGME residencies are at bigger hospitals thus have a greater amount of spots). Even if you assumed 40 residencies and 1/4 DO graduates vs. MD graduates, the numbers for DOs are growing rapidly and with the merger the AOA spots are decreasing. I hope you see the dilemma.
2) Its not that less students want to specialize on the DO side, it is that they realize the odds are stacked against them if they do specialize. So they take their 3 or 4 choice so they can ensure they match.
3) Now take my points into consideration and you will realize why it is more difficult to match into a specialty as a DO.

I'm say this even as a guy who tell most stellar DOs to go and shoot for the moon.

Like are we that toxic of a community that we must do this to our colleagues? We have bigger fish to fry than bickering like children over why the two letters after our names make us inferior/superior/equal. You know like mid-level encroachment or being successful in our selected specialties.

It because this site attract the whiners and complainers, pretty much those with a pessimistic view on life. This is why you see so much angst on this site. You have to see past this and pick up the important information. It is this information that makes SDN a gold mine.

DO vs MD...which is better tho? Can DOs do surgery?
maxresdefault.jpg

Pls no

Reactions: 4 users
It because this site attract the whiners and complainers, pretty much those with a pessimistic view on life. This is why you see so much angst on this site. You have to see past this and pick up the important information. It is this information that makes SDN a gold mine.

It's like sifting though a septic tank for gold nuggets

It's not about MD vs DO you guys and who is smarter.

Seriously.

The ONLY reason I tout that MD is way way wayyyy better is the fact you do not have to worry about bull**** OPP written and practical exams.

Idc how easy it is.

It is still a ****ing waste of time that 90% of DOs do not use in real life. It is a hassle and those 4 hours could be spent studying for boards... or idk.. doing RESEARCH... which can help for residency.

Oh.. speaking of boards... yeah you have to worry about BOTH USMLE AND COMLEX... especially if you want to match 2020.

You young cats are thinking you will still have the safety net of AOA programs to apply to. Maybe.. maybe not.

If I wanted to massage people... I would have ****ing gone to become a masseuse.

Simple.

But no. I wanted to go to MEDICAL SCHOOL to become a PHYSICIAN.... so DO was my best option.

To all of y'all that still have a chance.. please please PLEASE work hard and try for a MD program.

If you are fine with listening to instructors preach about "preventative" care and being "holistic" and actually WANT to learn OPP/OMT.... cooooollll.. have fun fam.

Newflash bruh... you will not change habits of obese folks, smokers, alcoholics, and etc. you will be dealing with in real life. Most of them are purely lost causes UNLESS they find it within themselves to change.

No bull**** OPP/OMM procedure will change their outlook in life.

Our OPP faculty are those hardcore types... which are really annoying and seem to have lost their sense of reality.

There's a reason an overwhelming majority of DOs do not use OMT in daily practice...

MOST of the time... UNLESS you are in family med or have a practice solely dedicated to OPP... you will not have the time or proper setting to use it.

I am not complaining and am very thankful... I'm just being as honest and candid as possible. I was just like some of you pre-meds... excited about 'going for DO'... but that wears off when a bull**** class you will never use gets in the way of other MORE IMPORTANT material.

Take from that what you will.

The funny part of Dr. Death's statement is that it implies that being an MD will get you a competitive residency, which is not true. My argument is that actually for competitive residencies (at non-competitive locations) would be easier as a DO than as an MD to attain because of less competition. Ex. Neurosurgery, Derm, and Interventional Radiology). How manh DO's actually want to enter these fields, and DO's HAD their own residencies in those fields.
I never implied that, nor do I believe it to be true.

Realize that there are not going to be protected DO spots anymore. Every one of those programs that survives the merger will be flooded with highly qualified MD students. Not all of the spots will go to them but the competition will be much tougher.

P.S. I don't think there are any DO IR integrated residencies.

It's not about MD vs DO you guys and who is smarter.

Seriously.

The ONLY reason I tout that MD is way way wayyyy better is the fact you do not have to worry about bull**** OPP written and practical exams.

Idc how easy it is.

It is still a ****ing waste of time that 90% of DOs do not use in real life. It is a hassle and those 4 hours could be spent studying for boards... or idk.. doing RESEARCH... which can help for residency.

Oh.. speaking of boards... yeah you have to worry about BOTH USMLE AND COMLEX... especially if you want to match 2020.

You young cats are thinking you will still have the safety net of AOA programs to apply to. Maybe.. maybe not.

If I wanted to massage people... I would have ****ing gone to become a masseuse.

Simple.

But no. I wanted to go to MEDICAL SCHOOL to become a PHYSICIAN.... so DO was my best option.

To all of y'all that still have a chance.. please please PLEASE work hard and try for a MD program.

If you are fine with listening to instructors preach about "preventative" care and being "holistic" and actually WANT to learn OPP/OMT.... cooooollll.. have fun fam.

Newflash bruh... you will not change habits of obese folks, smokers, alcoholics, and etc. you will be dealing with in real life. Most of them are purely lost causes UNLESS they find it within themselves to change.

No bull**** OPP/OMM procedure will change their outlook in life.

Our OPP faculty are those hardcore types... which are really annoying and seem to have lost their sense of reality.

There's a reason an overwhelming majority of DOs do not use OMT in daily practice...

MOST of the time... UNLESS you are in family med or have a practice solely dedicated to OPP... you will not have the time or proper setting to use it.

I am not complaining and am very thankful... I'm just being as honest and candid as possible. I was just like some of you pre-meds... excited about 'going for DO'... but that wears off when a bull**** class you will never use gets in the way of other MORE IMPORTANT material.

Take from that what you will.
If there's one thing to learn from this kids it's this.

If you have to go to a DO school, go to one without the 4 hour lab. Ours is 90 minutes a week and it often doesn't even last that long. If it was 4 hours I'd have quit.

If there's one thing to learn from this kids it's this.

If you have to go to a DO school, go to one without the 4 hour lab. Ours is 90 minutes a week and it often doesn't even last that long. If it was 4 hours I'd have quit.

THIS.

I should have looked this up before committing but it's whatev. I'm close to home so that makes up for it.

Actually we didn't tell you that you wouldn't get in. We just said your school list sucked.

Ok so a few things:

Those DO spots are gonzo. Get ready to compete with those MD students for the competitive spots. Some DOs will be able to do it. Some of the people who snuck into an AOA spot through auditioning well will not. Those are the people who will be hit hardest by the merger. Every DO who wants a competitive slot should plan on taking USMLE from day 1 and plan on killing it. You must do everything to try and even out the odds.

So I know that telling you that research opportunities are limited, and killing usmle is a lot easier to type on a message board than to actually do in real life will not change your mind. But you do realize that residencies can just filter out DO apps, right? You can have the best (insert specialty here) application in the country and no one will ever know if you get screened out. So yes, the letters after your name do matter.

This doesn't matter after residency. The point of residency is to fix whatever flaws in medical education you may have. MDs are just likely to have less flaws in their education than DOs/IMGs (specifically clinical education). Therefore it is in their best interest to recruit applicants who they'll have an easier time training.

Heck, even Meat Tornado doesn't just come out and say that DOs are inferior physicians (although he may very well think so). DOs are not inherently inferior physicians at the end of the day. However, they are inferior residency applicants on average and plenty of programs don't want and don't need to waste their time trying to find the few that have that awesome CV.

I have a better idea. Let's all vote for Bernie Sanders to control the Senate budget, push him to remove the ban on medicare budget for residencies (which he probably wants to do anyways), and budget enough residencies for us all in every residency! Problem Solved and DO's win for getting what they want while not having grey hairs :p

Too many Ron Swansons in this thread

Hmm, so what are your thoughts on the article?
I read somewhere that Vermont recognizes naturopaths to some limited scope as actual PCP which seems to indicate that tax payer money could be funding medicine that could be less than evidence based by some naturopaths? I honestly haven't researched it too much. I will read it over later.
A few states let them act like Primary Care. Bernie's state is giving them a nod. I haven't thought a whole lot about it. I admit that I am a healtchare noob.

OK so after re-reading what everyone posted, I got to a few conclusions:

1) Obv go MD if possible, if not then DO is fine but don't expect anything
2) Aim for a DO program which focuses less time/effort on OMM (90 min. vs. 4 hours per week)
there's more but I forgot.

Thank You @AlteredScale @DetectiveAlonzo @Dr. Death for contributing and giving real talk. I appreciate it a lot because it is hard to hear people say the truth, and SDN is one of the few places where we can actually express how we feel to each other without fear of being punished.

So I have 2 last questions which I would be VERY grateful if any of you could answer:

1) I have DO acceptances as of now but have not matriculated. I have a 3.85 cGPA, 3.72 sGPA (For AMCAS), and a 500 (25 old score) MCAT score. Should I throw my acceptance away and aim for MD, and potentially risk not becoming a doctor? Do a post bacc somewhere instead?
2) If I could go to a DO school like Texas, which has many medical schools in the state that are DO friendly for ACGME residencies, but I feel that I will perform sub-par on my Board Scores due to curriculum better or go to a DO school in North Carolina, where the MD schools couldn't care less for DO's but the DO school is solid and I think I would perform well on my boards because of their solid curriculum. Which is better to pick between the two?

OK so after re-reading what everyone posted, I got to a few conclusions:

1) Obv go MD if possible, if not then DO is fine but don't expect anything
2) Aim for a DO program which focuses less time/effort on OMM (90 min. vs. 4 hours per week)
there's more but I forgot.

Thank You @AlteredScale @DetectiveAlonzo @Dr. Death for contributing and giving real talk. I appreciate it a lot because it is hard to hear people say the truth, and SDN is one of the few places where we can actually express how we feel to each other without fear of being punished.

So I have 2 last questions which I would be VERY grateful if any of you could answer:

1) I have DO acceptances as of now but have not matriculated. I have a 3.85 cGPA, 3.72 sGPA (For AMCAS), and a 500 (25 old score) MCAT score. Should I throw my acceptance away and aim for MD, and potentially risk not becoming a doctor? Do a post bacc somewhere instead?
2) If I could go to a DO school like Texas, which has many medical schools in the state that are DO friendly for ACGME residencies, but I feel that I will perform sub-par on my Board Scores due to curriculum better or go to a DO school in North Carolina, where the MD schools couldn't care less for DO's but the DO school is solid and I think I would perform well on my boards because of their solid curriculum. Which is better to pick between the two?

OMFG... your GPA is solid dude.

HONESTLY... you already have two acceptances. I hope you applied to MD programs as well but if not... you are accepted to medical school nonetheless.

Congrats my dude!

But... damn... I really wish you had asked this before this app season had begun. If you had retaken that MCAT... damn... you could have had a MD acceptance but what's meant to be is meant to be.

I wouldn't risk your two acceptances right now... but that's just me.

If you feel you can do better on the MCAT... then maybe take a risk.

But if not... just go with the DO acceptance. You won't have to sit out a year. It's your call.

Also... I'd go to the cheaper DO school.

Matter of face.. I'd go to ANY TEXAS program over anywhere else in the US.

Cheap tuition (for it's residents at least) and great med centers for training. God Bless Texas.

Your school won't determine your board scores.

Last edited:
OMFG... your GPA is solid dude.

HONESTLY... you already have two acceptances. I hope you applied to MD programs as well but if not... you are accepted to medical school nonetheless.

Congrats my dude!

But... damn... I really wish you had asked this before this app season had begun. If you had retaken that MCAT... damn... you could have had a MD acceptance but what's meant to be is meant to be.

I wouldn't risk your two acceptances right now... but that's just me.

If you feel you can do better on the MCAT... then maybe take a risk.

But if not... just go with the DO acceptance. You won't have to sit out a year. It's your call.

Also... I'd go to the cheaper DO school.

Matter of face.. I'd go to ANY TEXAS program over anywhere else in the US.

Cheap tuition (for it's residents at least) and great med centers for training. God Bless Texas.

Your school won't determine your board scores.

I agree. Absolutely do not throw away two acceptances for something that isn't even guaranteed. Take the DO and run with it. You may not become an orthopedic surgeon, but then again most MDs don't become Orthopedic surgeons.

I agree. Absolutely do not throw away two acceptances for something that isn't even guaranteed. Take the DO and run with it. You may not become an orthopedic surgeon, but then again most MDs don't become Orthopedic surgeons.

I agree with this. A year of salary thrown away alongside the assurance you have right now doesn't make fiscal and emotional sense.Take it and run! You're gonna be a Doctor! Going into this cycle I was happy to take any kind of offer and avoid another year of sitting idle.

You shouldn't be worrying about residency yet.

By the time med school chews your soul out and makes you question why you went to a DO program, you'll take what you can get.

Just work hard and focus on classes.

Also... there are hundreds of these threads on here my man. May wanna search for them.

Tf is that second statement? Thanks for fixing @ATPsynthase123