How to spend my year off.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmau22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a recent college graduate who has just applied to schools (Fall 2014), I'm wondering what some of you other year-off people are going to do?

Ideally, I would want to find work at a PT office, but if I can't, would it be better to just work elsewhere and volunteer at a PT office?

Are schools interested in what you do in your off-year? After collecting 250+ hours in two different settings, I am debating if I should still spend time volunteering at a PT clinic (which is difficult with a full-time job).

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly if it were me I think I might not spend too much time working for free...PT school ain't cheap and you've volunteered quite a lot already...it might be a good idea to get accepted somewhere first before you totally give up on it though...

I took a year off from school, moved to Whistler, BC and worked with Whistler Adaptive Sports teaching sit-skiing....I skied over 100 days, met some of the best friends I have ever made, and learned so much about a variety of clinical conditions(and really got to touch/work/interact without worrying about the liability that comes with not being a registered PT observing in a clinical setting).

O yea I also skied some of the deepest/steepest Pow Pow of my life.

Highly recommended, message me for more info

Members don't see this ad :)
I have inquired at all of the PT clinics within 8 miles of me, and have not been too lucky.

I also found a ~6 hr a day job tutoring that pays 25/hr (more than double what I'd expect an aide to make).

I was just wondering if it looks bad to schools or if schools care what you do during your year off.

I would find some type of work to keep you occupied and earn some money. I don't think they care what job you get. Don't spend too much time observing since you've already done that. If you need to observe in an additional setting, then do that.

Kevin

Schools don't care what you do during your year off. If they accept you, they won't be asking you what you did. However, if you don't get in this year, then it may end up taking more time to improve your applications if you don't do it while you're waiting to hear back.