How to sound like yourself during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salemstein

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Confession: I've had many interviews already, and I'm very proud of the things that are on my apps/essays. I don't know if its just me but come showtime, the words that come out of my mouth sometimes sound different from what's going on in my mind. I cannot count the number of times I kept telling myself during an interview "crap, thats not the direction I want to go" or "why did I say that," etc. People have told me to just "be yourself," but my situation isn't so simple. I'm concerned that I will be perceived as a phony when in reality I am quite the opposite. Do you guys have any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is easier said than done but for me it really helped when I was able to tone down my anxiety. I think most people say dumb stuff when they're nervous and I think if you're able to reduce that anxiety you sound more like yourself.

Don't tailor your answers to what you think they want to hear. Just answer honestly.

Also, it's okay to pause for a second and collect your thoughts before answering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretend you're talking to your Gramma.

Confession: I've had many interviews already, and I'm very proud of the things that are on my apps/essays. I don't know if its just me but come showtime, the words that come out of my mouth sometimes sound different from what's going on in my mind. I cannot count the number of times I kept telling myself during an interview "crap, thats not the direction I want to go" or "why did I say that," etc. People have told me to just "be yourself," but my situation isn't so simple. I'm concerned that I will be perceived as a phony when in reality I am quite the opposite. Do you guys have any tips?

Reactions: 1 users
I practiced interview questions with some willing (and patient) family and friends. I gave them a list of possible questions, and they just interviewed me. This wasn't so my answers would be practiced and perfect (and come off as canned in interviews), but so I could get practice being put on the spot and organizing my thoughts before I opened my mouth. The interviews I did after I started doing this kind of practice felt much better (and had better outcomes) than the ones before.

Do a mock interview, and film yourself from the interviewer's perspective. Then watch and see if what you're saying matches up with what you're thinking. The first time I did it, I found out to my horror that I was blinking so much it looked like I was having a seizure.

I always put in eyedrops before interviews now.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Reactions: 1 user