How to Separate Yourself from the Patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@topsoil municipio
Thanks!
@bbbcccppp
I really appreciate your willingness to help.
@PTPoeny
I am a per diem employee, so I don't know if I get any benefits. The Doctors I work for are not super compassionate people, so I am avoiding talking to them as I don't think they will really care.
@miniman
I really appreciate the advice. I can't take time off right now as I am providing for myself, but I think you're right: I need to clear my head. I think I might go on a hike or something and just take a day off next weekend. Also, thanks for you PM offer.
@precisiongraphic
Like I mentioned, the doctors I work with are pretty cold people and would not be surprised if they brushed me off. I pretty sure some of them still don't know my name after almost a year...I appreciate you validating my feeling, I know a couple of nurses though who I think would be willing to talk to me.

Again thank you all so much for the support and advice, it really means a lot to know that I'm not the only one. You all don't even know me, yet so many of you have been taking the time to post suggestions. Bless you all.

Addressing individual posters as you do here takes time and shows humanity. I think it speaks well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@hopeful25678 you'll find in your medical journey that everyone deals with the impact of watching another human die differently. I know some very introspective colleagues as well as some very extroverted ones. You'd think some were heartless and callous the way the talk and joke, but everyone has their mechanism for getting through it. A social worker, therapist etc is there to help you guide your emotions. @Mednight wasn't wrong. If you go into any field of medicine, you will experience patients dying, either acutely or after a long struggle. You will have to have uncomfortable conversations with patients and families. Hope your visits go well.

Reactions: 2 users
Its good that you've seen death this early, especially on a young child that died unexpectedly. If you want to be a doctor then this isn't the last time you'll see death or someone die unexpectedly. Take this as an experience. I hope you feel better hun.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My first patient death was a kid. If someone had said to me shortly after "it's good you've seen a young child die unexpectedly", my reaction would not have been a positive one. I'm not saying you had negative intentions with that post, but that is not what people want to hear

Update: Hey Everyone! Thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions. I saw the Social Worker and I feel much better after talking it out with someone about it. This has been an awful past couple of weeks, but feel a lot better after all the support I have gotten.
Also in regards to @Mednight post, although it was a bit harsh, it's true.
This is life and I think this experience although completely cruel, has made me a little tougher. Now reflecting on it, the only way to fight evil is with kindness(I know it's cheesy) and I can do this through being a physician and fighting ignorance through healing. I guess that's the whole point of spending 4 years + residency and going into debt.
Please let me know if any of you ever need to talk to someone. Seriously appreciate all the help.