How to score high on ITE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToKingdomCome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you do it? And why do programs care so much about it for

Members don't see this ad.

Only ITE people care about is CA-1 ITE. This is mainly for fellowship, and most fellowships, with exception of cardiac, don’t care much anyways.

Program likes high ITE scores because high score means you likely won’t have any issues passing the basic and the advanced exam, and wont cause headache for the PD.

And just study and read something daily, and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This question gets posted every year. Pick 1 or 2 good text sources and read a bit daily as stated above. Do TrueLearn all the way through. Go back again and do missed questions.

? And why do programs care so much about it
Yeah, seems silly to me. After all, you could be your high school's valedictorian and a Rhodes scholar and no matter how well you do on the ITE you're never gonna make a much as your brother who's a badass neurosurgeon.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Get Faust review, start reading early and often. Do truelearn twice through and read explanations beforehand.

There’s an Srna named gasresident1 on here that has some good advice about the ITE and some life lessons.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Real talk: do TrueLearn at least twice. Have some primary source textbook to read up on stuff you don’t have down (Faust is probably the most condensed option). Watch the u of Kentucky YouTube videos, especially their keyword reviews in cards/pulm, and the review video that covers the gaps in knowledge from the prior year’s test.

That alone will get you a 70%. To get a 90%, you’ll really need to hammer out a lot of tiny little details and fun facts. A good anki deck would be the best thing to add. Then maybe do TrueLearn one additional time.

All of this is much easier if you are doing a little bit at a time. Cramming the 1-2 months prior to ITE like you may have done for the step exams isn’t ideal

Go to a program that has their residents take the ITE over a couple days, make sure you're in the second batch. Then ask the first batch what questions they got.

Otherwise, I hear TrueLearn is great

• Wow
Read a thorough text that you find helpful and highlight the important parts. I recommend selected Barash or Yao and Artusio chapters. Annotate with a few handwritten notes too where useful. Then you can review it a second, third, and fourth time much faster than the initial thorough readthrough because you can skip all the nonhighlighted stuff. Reinforce by doing all TrueLearn questions, flagging useful questions and highlighting useful parts of the explanation. Do these in hour long blocks or whatever the same time limit you get for the ITE so you make yourself finish them and you get used to the timing. Again, review the useful stuff only, saving time and being immensely more efficient. I got a 49/50 raw score as a CA-1 and was garbage in the OR and hadn't done a bit of cardiac, trauma, OB, or pediatric subspecialties yet. I say the score not to brag, but to show how an unremarkable resident in the OR can still blow the top off of a multiple-choice exam by studying a lot.

Reactions: 1 users