How to recover from failure in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nucleophile-DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I rarely use SDN but wanted to share a long story and maybe I can get help, constructive feedback, or any helpful input that may help me to think better. Maybe someone else would benefit from this in the future. (Sorry for the long post)

I always wanted to become dentist, it was the HAPPIEST day of my life when I first got accepted to one of the best dental schools. It took very hard work, dedication, and sacrifices. It was never easy for me to get in, my stats were average, my class stats were high. Many of my friends felt happy for me and some few felt jealous. When I started my first semester as a D1, I moved out to live on campus alone so I can focus completely on school. On the weekends I drove to my parent’s house. I spent all of my time studying. I had no days off from studying alone or with 1 or 2 friends occasionally. Sometimes I text/call my crush girl who started hygiene school (another state), my best friend started med school (another state), friends from undergrad also joined me in my dental class. Everything seemed to be great and I was so motivated and happy.

School started to get harder for me. I realized that my undergrad was super easy compared to dental school. Study methods in undergrad did not work in dental school. For example, I like working on questions to understand and comprehend the materials. In my undergrad, some professors posted relevant practice exams, practice homework (optional). In dental school I wasn’t sure how to study. There was nothing to study other than lecture notes, and some practice questions made by students. I re-watched lectures since I couldn’t pay attention in class, re-read notes over and over (3-5 times), I ran out of time. I struggled but kept following up with professors, upperclassmen, and classmates.

My best friend got depressed and left med school, my crush girl struggled in her dental hygiene program and failed. I had family issues happened but I never gave up on my education and I kept trying my best to work hard in the semester. Some professors were concerned about my grades, I was warned about getting dismissal for messing up in 2 classes. 1 professor yelled at me during office hours all the time. 1 professor told me that my undergrad was not strong enough. Some professors were supportive and encouraging. I respected everyone and tried to follow-up with them with a smile but a broken heart.

I feel my perception about education, dentistry, life, and everything have changed. I don’t like negativity but I have felt one of the worst moments in my life. I got burned out and started to think twice about loans, family, my emotions, health. I had fears, doubts, worries, I even had 2 panic attacks during taking exams due to a lack of sleep. During the semester, I felt about dropping out. I felt that my personality have been changed. It was just a first semester of D1 but at a very competitive school. Don’t get me wrong, I love my school and everyone. The school was kind to offer me the option to repeat my first year and welcome me back.

Everyone encouraged me to keep going despite everything. My heart follows the dream of becoming a dentist. I love working with my hands and help people get out of pain. However, I am not a dentist and none of my close family studied dentistry so I might have a lack of perception or missing information. Maybe I need to learn more to work on myself like how to fix anxiety, understanding debt, and everything about the field. Again, I am sorry for the long post but thank you for reading all this!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know you, but this is a snap judgement based on your post. You’ll need to figure out the anxiety. Nothing wrong with having it. It can motivate you to work hard and better yourself. But if it starts interfering with success then you need to address it. You may want to speak to a professional about it. That same anxiety will just transition into clinic and your work later on. Work on controlling it now. It could make all the difference.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say if it’s what you really want to do you need to figure out how to work through the anxiety. I have had a very similar mindset as you and it took awhile to change it. I was finally accepted to dental school this year, after my 9th time applying. So for 9 years I basically felt like a failure and didn’t think I would make it. But at the end of the day I knew it’s what I wanted to do and I couldn’t give up on myself. Once you start to see the strength you have to overcome obstacles you’ll start to feel proud of yourself. I started to find things that made me happy outside of schooo because I defined myself by my performance in school my entire life. And when I failed at things I felt completely overwhelmed and would get depressed. Have faith in yourself and know that not everyone would have the Strength and guts to repeat a year. That takes a lot to accept failure and work hard and move past it. Be porous of yourself! If you ever need someone to talk to you can message me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say if it’s what you really want to do you need to figure out how to work through the anxiety. I have had a very similar mindset as you and it took awhile to change it. I was finally accepted to dental school this year, after my 9th time applying. So for 9 years I basically felt like a failure and didn’t think I would make it. But at the end of the day I knew it’s what I wanted to do and I couldn’t give up on myself. Once you start to see the strength you have to overcome obstacles you’ll start to feel proud of yourself. I started to find things that made me happy outside of schooo because I defined myself by my performance in school my entire life. And when I failed at things I felt completely overwhelmed and would get depressed. Have faith in yourself and know that not everyone would have the Strength and guts to repeat a year. That takes a lot to accept failure and work hard and move past it. Be porous of yourself! If you ever need someone to talk to you can message me.
Wow, I really admire you for your perseverance. You deserve it after having gone through 9 application cycles. Congrats!

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t know you, but this is a snap judgement based on your post. You’ll need to figure out the anxiety. Nothing wrong with having it. It can motivate you to work hard and better yourself. But if it starts interfering with success then you need to address it. You may want to speak to a professional about it. That same anxiety will just transition into clinic and your work later on. Work on controlling it now. It could make all the difference.
Thank you for the advise. I agree with you that anxiety could be transitioned later if not controlled. However, how would you manage it during didactic courses/clinic? Do you think students/dentists who perform dentistry get used to it with time or is it just stressful at first in our profession?

Your story is very impressive! Congratulations for the hard work. It takes deep commitment to apply for 9 years! I agree with you that sometimes we put our happiness based on how we perform in school. I think maybe the nature of our education shape our mindset to become perfectionist at everything. Thank you for sharing your motivational experience and offering your help.

Reactions: 1 users
Ive had my fair share of failures in dental school so far. The most important thing to do is be adaptable with study habits. Youve already done the first few steps of that which is to admit that your current study habits do not work and to reach out for help. Be sure to remain close with a few upperclassmen who can tell you what to expect for various courses and what the best resources to use are. And, you might have to give yourself a lot more time far out in advance to study for things and determine how youre going to spend each of those days. I like to make study schedules for an especially busy month or a huge exam. In dental school I also got into the habit of making flashcards and doing anki/quizlet decks. Not every professor or classmate will be helpful, but be appreciative to the ones who are. Become friends with upper classmen. There is a joke amongst my friend group at school that dental school is a finesse, but that is actually very true. It is about learning about how to make it through because at the end of the day, your clinical skills will make you a good dentist not your scores in didactic. And luckily clinical skills can also be learned with practice and patience.

Thank you for the advise. I agree with you that anxiety could be transitioned later if not controlled. However, how would you manage it during didactic courses/clinic? Do you think students/dentists who perform dentistry get used to it with time or is it just stressful at first in our profession?
The anxiety doesn’t go away during school. It just changes:

D1-Adapting to dental school and the didactic/preclinical workload
D2-Workload doubles and you struggle to keep your head above water
D3-Transition to clinic as well as continuing to take didactic courses and lab competencies. It’s a lot to juggle.
D4-Trying to get all your clinical requirements done on time, boards boards boards, PG applications/job searching.

Just remember, you won’t be the first person to get through it and you won’t be the last. Resilience is key.

Reactions: 5 users
Become friends with your classmates. Every dental school has “old study material” floating around. If you can get your hands on these resources, school and your exams will be much more manageable . There’s a saying in dental school that no body can make it out on their own and it’s true.