How to quit residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am just wondering what the OP ended up doing? Keep us updated if you can.

Members don't see this ad.

. Your options also include whatever it was you majored in, in college (?economics, ?journalism, ?computer science, ?chemical/mechanical engineering). There is no reason to be miserable in medicine if you've discovered this is not what you enjoy doing with your life.

There's not much available with a bachelor's in biology or biochemistry

Dr Rack,
not necessarily. I worked as a lab technician x 3 years between medical school and residency with just my BS in biology. One can also get a nonacademic job in a chemical or biological or pharmaceutical company. However, if one doesn't want to stay in science (i.e. bench research) then I agree that perhaps there's not a lot available with just the BS degree. It also depends what area of the country one lives in (i.e. near the Research Triangle in Chapel Hill, NC, vs. the middle of Idaho). Certainly he/she is unlikely to quickly find a job that pays as well as an intern's salary.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. Now that I finally resigned, I really feel like I made the right decision....I have absolutely no regrets at all. I thought about different specialities, but at the end I realized that medicine just wasn't for me. My only regret is wasting so much time and money!

I come to understand a little bit about myself too. I am more of an "office desk job" type of person. I hate being in the hospital/clinic....it's just too depressing. It all makes sense now b/c I loved basic sciences.....I could sit and read all day! Once clinical years started......I started to become miserable. I kept going cause I did not want to quit. But then someone gave me some great advice...."Quitting doesn't make you a weak person, it's not knowing WHEN to quit that makes you weak." or something along those lines.....

So even though I"m in a huge amount of debt, my parents bitter and angry, and no real job, I feel better than ever....b/c I don't have to spend the rest of my life feeling trapped in Medicine. I still want to do something in the realm of health care, but more behind the scenes (i.e. health care finance/admin, pharm, insurance, etc). I"m taking the next few months to figure out where my interests lie and do some soul searching. I will try to keep everyone updated periodically!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. Now that I finally resigned, I really feel like I made the right decision....I have absolutely no regrets at all. I thought about different specialities, but at the end I realized that medicine just wasn't for me. My only regret is wasting so much time and money!

I come to understand a little bit about myself too. I am more of an "office desk job" type of person. I hate being in the hospital/clinic....it's just too depressing. It all makes sense now b/c I loved basic sciences.....I could sit and read all day! Once clinical years started......I started to become miserable. I kept going cause I did not want to quit. But then someone gave me some great advice...."Quitting doesn't make you a weak person, it's not knowing WHEN to quit that makes you weak." or something along those lines.....

So even though I"m in a huge amount of debt, my parents bitter and angry, and no real job, I feel better than ever....b/c I don't have to spend the rest of my life feeling trapped in Medicine. I still want to do something in the realm of health care, but more behind the scenes (i.e. health care finance/admin, pharm, insurance, etc). I"m taking the next few months to figure out where my interests lie and do some soul searching. I will try to keep everyone updated periodically!

If you like to read and type, you can choose to do research, lots of positions available.

Keep update.