How to productively Pass the time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustDoMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
How did you pass/how are you passing the time while waiting for scores to be released?

I'm feeling pretty neurotic and anxious about what I got on my mcat (4/6er) as I really didn't have time to review quite a bit of flagged/ 50/50 questions.
I'm not sure if it's worth re-studying in preparation of taking it again in May.... But I really do want to apply this upcoming cycle, and it would be my last attempt for the year.

I've been working on my Personal Statement, and volunteering, but IDK... after prepping for the MCAT I feel like I should be doing more.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just put everything MCAT related out of your mind for a bit. After my MCAT last summer I was doing research during the weekdays and playing baseball recreationally in the evenings and on the weekends. Even if you felt like you did not do well, you shouldn't rush to take it again so quickly. Id say just keep volunteering and have a little bit of fun before you may have to consider the MCAT again - you never know, you might have done well

From a neurotic pre-med, there is really no way around it. The waiting period is the worst but luckily it's only about 3 weeks. I thought about it everyday. The time will pass though so just hang in there. Practice test avg: 514 Real thing: 515. Trust your practice tests

@pug49 I'd actually really like to get back into research, but I moved back home after graduation to save up on costs, and it's.... rural as heck here, and I feel like if I don't take it at this point I may forget a ton of material, which would just set me back more. Out of curiosity do you happen to know the latest I could take my mcat and still be "earlyish" on application?

Though working out has been a godsend to get out the stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a neurotic pre-med, there is really no way around it. The waiting period is the worst but luckily it's only about 3 weeks. I thought about it everyday. The time will pass though so just hang in there. Practice test avg: 514 Real thing: 515. Trust your practice tests

It is the worse! Never understood the long waiting time.
Also I can't really go off my practice test as they were rather inconsistent, FL2 being my latest and unfortunately lowest. Did you consistently get around 514?
My scores were 506, 509 and then 501....

It is the worse! Never understood the long waiting time.
Also I can't really go off my practice test as they were rather inconsistent, FL2 being my latest and unfortunately lowest. Did you consistently get around 514?
My scores were 506, 509 and then 501....
You're probably looking at a 507 +/- 3. But who knows just wait it out

@JustDoMed I took mine in the beginning of June, got results back in beginning of July, sent out primary a week later and got verified late July / early August. All secondaries out by end of August. I would say anytime in the month of June would probably be the latest you could take the MCAT and still be "early" w/ respect to getting your MCAT score to have a complete app. July would probably be pushing it b/c then you wouldnt get the score back until August. I would go by planning to have most if not all secondaries out by August

If you took it later in June, I would probably try to get that primary verified earlier via submitting it to one throw-away school and then just wait on your score before sending it out to the rest

Reactions: 1 user
@JustDoMed I took mine in the beginning of June, got results back in beginning of July, sent out primary a week later and got verified late July / early August. All secondaries out by end of August. I would say anytime in the month of June would probably be the latest you could take the MCAT and still be "early" w/ respect to getting your MCAT score to have a complete app. July would probably be pushing it b/c then you wouldnt get the score back until August. I would go by planning to have most if not all secondaries out by August

If you took it later in June, I would probably try to get that primary verified earlier via submitting it to one throw-away school and then just wait on your score before sending it out to the rest
Thanks for the timeline advice I really appreciate!

Get used to waiting. Before I apply, I though waiting for mcat score was the worst month of my life. Then had to go through waiting for secondaries, waiting for interview invites and checking my email every 5mins, then waiting for acceptances, then waiting for waitlists, then waiting for scholarships and financial aid. Go do something you enjoy and maybe pre-write some secondaries.