How to prepare for nbde part 1 after graduating more than 6 years ago??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grit101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Soo, I have graduated many many years ago and do not recollect much of the first and second year subjects, least of all anatomy. I have begun studying, but have realized it is taking me a lot longer to clear up the basics and find relevant sites that will help me do the same. I would like to hear any advice from someone who has been or is in a similar situation and how they cracked it! Any resource materials you think are the best, please share.

It took me a lot of thinking and courage to even decide on taking the test and now I am thinking if I was being stupid, thinking I could do it. Personal problems aside, I do want to get past all this and motivate myself to stay on track, and knowing a plan that could help me study for nbde while clearing basics as well would be much appreciated.

Dental decks: Though useful, I feel it jumps from topic to topic in a haphazard way and I have to keep using internet till I find a site that clears up the term and background info for me. If you can give me a site,you tube video that has worked for you, it will be appreciated.

First Aid: Again I find it difficult to go through with anatomy, as it is a condensation of the only important information leaving me confused about the points not explained.

I would like to know something (files or websites) that will help clear up certain concepts in short yet crisp manner.

Thank you to anyone and everyone who will contribute to this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was under the same situation. I took NBDEs 6 years after my graduation. Do first aid and brush the same topics in decks. It is time consuming yeah but if you do dental decks twice or preferably thrice after doing first aid, its more than sufficient to crack NBDE1. It gets interesting after a while. Stay positive and you can do it. ASDA papers in the end after doing decks couple of times and you are good to go.

I was under the same situation. I took NBDEs 6 years after my graduation. Do first aid and brush the same topics in decks. It is time consuming yeah but if you do dental decks twice or preferably thrice after doing first aid, its more than sufficient to crack NBDE1. It gets interesting after a while. Stay positive and you can do it. ASDA papers in the end after doing decks couple of times and you are good to go.
Heyy,

Thanks for the reply! Are you saying that after a while I will get a grasp of first aid even if I don't, at first?
Did you remember your basics? For example, I simply couldn't recollect the whole formation and development of the branchial arches and I literally spent a day trying to watch and read all the Articles relating to the topic. (I do tend to over read and research like a maniac once I get online which is why I wanted to know if I could restrict myself to certain book, site or YouTube videos for basics).
I have taken up dental anatomy today as I remember it more than other subjects. Actually, I just did one chapter in first aid and now reading dental decks, :) hope it works!

One more important question, how many months did you take to prep for it?
Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heyy,

Thanks for the reply! Are you saying that after a while I will get a grasp of first aid even if I don't, at first?
Did you remember your basics? For example, I simply couldn't recollect the whole formation and development of the branchial arches and I literally spent a day trying to watch and read all the Articles relating to the topic. (I do tend to over read and research like a maniac once I get online which is why I wanted to know if I could restrict myself to certain book, site or YouTube videos for basics).
I have taken up dental anatomy today as I remember it more than other subjects. Actually, I just did one chapter in first aid and now reading dental decks, :) hope it works!

One more important question, how many months did you take to prep for it?
Thank you for your time.
Yup I used to do such research too and go bonkers on one single topic. But I advice to stick on to first aid and dental decks. You can google for better clarity on some topics you dont understand completely from books. And nope I dont remember whole info too. I only remember on high level. We are humans after all ;) So, dont worry if you cant remember. That is completely normal. As you read, yes you will get the grasp of it. I started Anat as I heard that takes lot of time. Dental anatomy I did last . I spent just a week or 10 days for dental anat. I prepared for 5 months. I work 40 hrs job so I used to study after work. And took one month off from work before exam. Probably tops 4 months if I didnt have job.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup I used to do such research too and go bonkers on one single topic. But I advice to stick on to first aid and dental decks. You can google for better clarity on some topics you dont understand completely from books. And nope I dont remember whole info too. I only remember on high level. We are humans after all ;) So, dont worry if you cant remember. That is completely normal. As you read, yes you will get the grasp of it. I started Anat as I heard that takes lot of time. Dental anatomy I did last . I spent just a week or 10 days for dental anat. I prepared for 5 months. I work 40 hrs job so I used to study after work. And took one month off from work before exam. Probably tops 4 months if I didnt have job.
Thanks so much! This does help. Can I know which job was available to you if you weren't registered? I mean I would like to be employed as well lol.
Also, congratulations!

Thanks so much! This does help. Can I know which job was available to you if you weren't registered? I mean I would like to be employed as well lol.
Also, congratulations!
You are welcome. I have been working as Health Care Analyst for almost 4 years now after my Masters. Not related to dentistry as I am not registered DA and coz of visa restrictions.

Hi,

Soo, I have graduated many many years ago and do not recollect much of the first and second year subjects, least of all anatomy. I have begun studying, but have realized it is taking me a lot longer to clear up the basics and find relevant sites that will help me do the same. I would like to hear any advice from someone who has been or is in a similar situation and how they cracked it! Any resource materials you think are the best, please share.

It took me a lot of thinking and courage to even decide on taking the test and now I am thinking if I was being stupid, thinking I could do it. Personal problems aside, I do want to get past all this and motivate myself to stay on track, and knowing a plan that could help me study for nbde while clearing basics as well would be much appreciated.

Dental decks: Though useful, I feel it jumps from topic to topic in a haphazard way and I have to keep using internet till I find a site that clears up the term and background info for me. If you can give me a site,you tube video that has worked for you, it will be appreciated.

First Aid: Again I find it difficult to go through with anatomy, as it is a condensation of the only important information leaving me confused about the points not explained.

I would like to know something (files or websites) that will help clear up certain concepts in short yet crisp manner.

I took it 4 years after I graduated from dental school. You got this. Just follow the advice given by the other person. I struggled initially but got better as I continued to study. You studied all those subjects in school so you can never completely lose all of that knowledge. It is just about picking it up again. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users

Absolutely, this is a very good suggestion.. I followed the same method and cleared both 1 and 2 in first attempt within a year! Good luck.. don't forget ASDA question papers..

Thank you both of you :), if you guys know anything you referred to in particular to refresh your basics, do let me know!

Thank you both of you :), if you guys know anything you referred to in particular to refresh your basics, do let me know!
I used to google anything I couldn't understand from first aid or dental decks. For biochem I used to draw the different cycles and found it easy to study that way. Even for anatomy I remembered better when reading along with looking at images/ pictures of muscle attachments, nerve etc.

Hi,

Hi there are you interested to study together, I too started my prep sometime back and constantly have the same doubts/concerns. i am based in SF , quite serious about my studies and my email id is [email protected].

Hello everyone. Im have graduated 8 years ago. Lol. And im planning to do the exam in 2018. Does anyone have a soft copy of the dental decks and firstaid that can be sent via email? The ones feom the recent years. Also what are the ASDA questions ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,
From what I have read it's not wise to take so much time to study unless necessary as we end up wasting more time and also stand a good chance of forgetting what we have prepped so far. Still it's up to you. :)
Also, you can download all the notes online, facebook etc. I have hard copies.
Hello everyone. Im have graduated 8 years ago. Lol. And im planning to do the exam in 2018. Does anyone have a soft copy of the dental decks and firstaid that can be sent via email? The ones feom the recent years. Also what are the ASDA questions ?

Hi there are you interested to study together, I too started my prep sometime back and constantly have the same doubts/concerns. i am based in SF , quite serious about my studies and my email id is [email protected].
When are you planning to give the exam? I have just started and I am going a bit slow. If you are someone fast you won't like my pace. But we could try. I would like to keep this account open and interact from here using the message option? Let me know.

When are you planning to give the exam? I have just started and I am going a bit slow. If you are someone fast you won't like my pace. But we could try. I would like to keep this account open and interact from here using the message option? Let me know.
hi I am planning to take it in 3 months time..I can email you my number to make the interaction easier and faster.

If you don't recollect a subject, you need to get a textbook and study it from the beginning to the end.
There is no way around it, especially with such important subjects like anatomy.
Decks, First Aid and Mosby are review materials and are meant to refresh knowledge before exam.
You may say, that you don't have time or it's too hard - get a high school anatomy and physiology, biochemistry for dummies etc.

hi I am planning to take it in 3 months time..I can email you my number to make the interaction easier and faster.
I will email to you in a while. I am sorry I don't come online often.

If you don't recollect a subject, you need to get a textbook and study it from the beginning to the end.
There is no way around it, especially with such important subjects like anatomy.
Decks, First Aid and Mosby are review materials and are meant to refresh knowledge before exam.
You may say, that you don't have time or it's too hard - get a high school anatomy and physiology, biochemistry for dummies etc.
for now, I use Wikipedia every time I stumble upon something I don't know. If the books you mentioned are concise, then I might look into it. Thanks.

Hey, thanks, I just got a book for anatomy and physiology, and that's helping a lot, starting with basics. but couldn't find "biochemistry for dummies" anywhere to download. Could you send me the file if you have it? Thanks.

Hey, thanks, I just got a book for anatomy and physiology, and that's helping a lot, starting with basics. but couldn't find "biochemistry for dummies" anywhere to download. Could you send me the file if you have it? Thanks.
I used regular book and gave it away a long time ago

Hey there,
From what I have read it's not wise to take so much time to study unless necessary as we end up wasting more time and also stand a good chance of forgetting what we have prepped so far. Still it's up to you. :)
Also, you can download all the notes online, facebook etc. I have hard copies.

Hi, im staring to study for the NBDE part 1 do you have an study plan that could help to do it in six months,

Hello! I am planning to study full time til Dec. I have not studied any material related to part 1 in the past 2 years. Is 2-3 months sufficient to take the exam? And is anyone looking for a study partner?

I am also looking for a study partner if anyone is interested. I have started NBDE part 1 prep from First aid and will be using Dental decks 13-14 along with them.

Last edited:
Hi, im staring to study for the NBDE part 1 do you have an study plan that could help to do it in six months,
I don't have a plan I am sorry. But since you have ample time I guess you could read everything in detail from textbooks or you could use kaplan as well. I have heard they are in depth as well. I would suggest one thing. Make two plans one for the end of the month, one for each and every day. Hope it helps. Also, I don't personally own kaplan notes, so can't help you with rating of the materials.

Hello! I am planning to study full time til Dec. I have not studied any material related to part 1 in the past 2 years. Is 2-3 months sufficient to take the exam? And is anyone looking for a study partner?
You could pair up with the guy below you, momoq. I have read people who have cleared after studying for only three weeks but these are usually american students in their second year. It all depends on your long term memory at the end of the day and your own capacity to prepare in x no. of hours. Hope this helps, :)

I am also looking for a study partner if anyone is interested. I have started NBDE part 1 prep from First aid and will be using Dental decks 13-14 along with them.
Hey, you could ping the guy above you. I usually study alone, but you guys could ask me doubts anytime. Also, I would say that there are a lot of good groups on facebook. You could try that out as well. Hope this helps. :)

I see that people are talking about using the dental decks and First Aid. I have them both but I'm concerned that the latest First Aid book hasn't been updated in 5 years (people have also written that there were several errors in the earlier versions of the book). I'm wondering, has anyone tried the Dental Boards Mastery app? They have a free version which I'm trying out and so far the explanations to the questions have been very concise. This seems to be the opposite of the dental decks where the explanations to the questions are much longer (and thus more time consuming). The good thing about both of them is that they both seem to correct any mistakes. The dental decks post their corrections on their website. The Dental Boards Mastery app makes its corrections by updating their app (and it gets updated regularly). I couldn't find any corrections (to obvious errors) for the First Aid book (the email posted in the book does not reply and the author himself does not reply). So I'm thinking of purchasing the paid version of the Dental Boards Mastery app but I was wondering if there's anyone else who's tried it and could say if it benefitted them? Someone on these forums posted that he used the app instead of the decks and passed the exam but again, I would like to see feedback from others who have tried it. Anyone?
It all depends on you and your grasp on basics and no one but you can judge it. Go with what your gut tells you is right for you.