how to practice Dentistry in australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myra1972

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows what requirement for a foreign professional dentist on how to practice in Australia. Do NBDE Part I and Part II recognized in Australia to be exempted to take the Australian dental board. Thanks a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

myra1972 said:
Anyone knows what requirement for a foreign professional dentist on how to practice in Australia. Do NBDE Part I and Part II recognized in Australia to be exempted to take the Australian dental board. Thanks a lot! :)

Are you a US grad? At the moment it's pretty much the same as if an Australian dentist wanted to practice in the US. You need to sit our exams, no we don't accept NBDE exams. Also, you may have to do a bridging course, or alternatively you could specilise here possibly. I would suggest contacting the Australian Dental Council http://www.dentalcouncil.net.au/
as well as the Royal college of dental surgeons http://www.racds.org/
I heard the Australian ADA is working with the CDA (canadian dental coucil) as well as the American ADA to attempt to form a reciprocity license agreement between the three countries. Also, heard that the US may finally form a unified national licensing exam as well. I'm not sure how far along they are with this. Maybe you could also contact the American ADA and inquire. I know they recently held a national meeting where they were discussing some of these options for the future. Good Luck! :thumbup:

about taking the australian dental licensure exam, is it the same with the NBDE type, I mean the questions, topics, or are there any reviewers or websites on how to prepare the examination. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
myra1972 said:
about taking the australian dental licensure exam, is it the same with the NBDE type, I mean the questions, topics, or are there any reviewers or websites on how to prepare the examination. Thanks!!!

Im not sure what exams are exactly required for foreign graduates.. I would suggest contacting the ADC. [email protected]

myra1972 said:

NBDE questions are more theoretical than the adc exams. the good news is you don't have to study on biochem anymore... =) all subjects are clinical. if you have dental decks (for NBDE part 2), i would suggest that you read it but check out differences in a cawson book. the exam would have two parts: the multiple choice part and the short answer question part (essay). useful reviewers are cawson's mcq and boucher's comprehensive reviewer. dental decks is also good but do away with the subjects for the NBDE1. go to the australian dental council website for more info... just remember... all their books are british or australian based....

myra1972 said:
Anyone knows what requirement for a foreign professional dentist on how to practice in Australia.

Found this the other day.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pubs/a/pdf/assess_os_dents.pdf

They have bridging programs where you can get advance standing into dental school here. I believe the programs are pretty similar to a foreign dentist who would want to practice in the US.
Hope it helps. Good Luck