How to pay off loans if interest is so high...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyman123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but let's say I have $200,000 in loans. 7% interest a year. By year 1, that's $214,000 approximately (+ 14000), assuming you make no loan payments. But I am making loan payments... let's say $400 a months. That means I pay $5000 a year.

So $14000 - 5000 = +11,000. How are we expected to pay loans off?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Plus your math is a bit shaky. 7% of 200K is 14K, not 7K.

Think of it this way: $200K is basically a mortgage. Go to a mortgage calculator, put in $200K / 7% and choose a payoff term of 20 years and see what your payments would be. (I just did it, it's $1550 a month). You can set the variables any way you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Just kick the can down the road and pay em off when you're an attending. You can't take money with you when you die, so might as well live comfortably in training. You can Google search 'income based loan repayment calculator.'

Not enough time.... may work for lower interest rates, but IMO not those over 6%.

I guess it depends what you are going into. If you work resident hours (aka a lot) and make 350K (250K after taxes), I'd assume you could put 200K towards loans and pay off most of your student loan debt. Then 'upgrade' to the attending lifestyle the next year and have minimal loans to contend with.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but let's say I have $200,000 in loans. 7% interest a year. By year 1, that's $214,000 approximately (+ 14000), assuming you make no loan payments. But I am making loan payments... let's say $400 a months. That means I pay $5000 a year.

So $14000 - 5000 = +11,000. How are we expected to pay loans off?

Probably should have thought about that BEFORE entering medical school, not after.

Not enough time.... may work for lower interest rates, but IMO not those over 6%.
If you only did one year even in a low paying specialty, you would still get pretty far into your principal so that the next year you could ratchet up your spending quite a bit and still be a lot better off than would have been otherwise. Then again, you would also help things by paying as much as you can during residency as well. Or you could just pay it off like most people pay off a mortgage (including the option of doing interest only payments or negative amortization). More expensive that way, but certainly possible for even the lowest paid specialties.

By getting a loan from a Canadian bank 3.5% interest :p. Unless you have a family to support, you can definitely drop more than $400/month. Try $1000.

If you only did one year even in a low paying specialty, you would still get pretty far into your principal so that the next year you could ratchet up your spending quite a bit and still be a lot better off than would have been otherwise. Then again, you would also help things by paying as much as you can during residency as well. Or you could just pay it off like most people pay off a mortgage (including the option of doing interest only payments or negative amortization). More expensive that way, but certainly possible for even the lowest paid specialties.
Most people are living paycheck to paycheck during residency unless they're from Asia or have a spouse who makes a considerable wage to live off of. Granted there are plenty who go buy the BWM of their dreams after receiving their first paycheck, but I just don't see it even for one year, not with current interest rates.

Most people are living paycheck to paycheck during residency unless they're from Asia or have a spouse who makes a considerable wage to live off of. Granted there are plenty who go buy the BWM of their dreams after receiving their first paycheck, but I just don't see it even for one year, not with current interest rates.

What?

Reactions: 1 users
Medical school in other parts of the world are cheaper. Medical school graduates, using Asia as one example, do not see a debt load that most US students, particularly IMGs are facing with the current interest rates.
You're far too hung up on political correctness SouthernIM.

Plus your math is a bit shaky. 7% of 200K is 14K, not 7K.

Think of it this way: $200K is basically a mortgage. Go to a mortgage calculator, put in $200K / 7% and choose a payoff term of 20 years and see what your payments would be. (I just did it, it's $1550 a month). You can set the variables any way you want.

Except it's not close to a mortgage.

A mortgage isn't at 7% interest.

Also, ignoring the recent volatile market, from a long term perspective the appreciation from the real estate essentially negates the interest from the loan. Meaning over the life of a loan on a 200K house you didn't lose 100K to interest because now your house might be worth >300K.

The same can't be said for student loans. You are absolutely losing every dime in interest.

Medical school in other parts of the world are cheaper. Medical school graduates, using Asia as one example, do not see a debt load that most US students, particularly IMGs are facing with the current interest rates.
You're far too hung up on political correctness SouthernIM.

I'm one of the least politically correct people you'll ever meet. I just honestly had no idea what you meant and it was such a random non-sequitor. And you were talking about living paycheck to paycheck, not about paying off debt I was super confused.

I was racking my brain - was it that asian families are richer than average? or spend more on their kids education? Or that asians are frugal?

Also, ignoring the recent volatile market, from a long term perspective the appreciation from the real estate essentially negates the interest from the loan. Meaning over the life of a loan on a 200K house you didn't lose 100K to interest because now your house might be worth >300K.

The same can't be said for student loans. You are absolutely losing every dime in interest.
Some people have had mortgages close to 7%, and it isn't like you would get a better interest rate than that for an unsecured debt with as many payment options (although I guess there are some companies that are refinancing student loans so that is something to consider). But regardless, the point is that it is possible to pay your student loans on a physician salary. The fact that the interest you pay just goes down the tubes should provide an incentive to live as frugally as possible for as long as possible to reduce the amount you lose.

First of all, mortgage rates have definitely been 7% and greater. Perhaps not recently, but I've been around for awhile: http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/mortgage_rates/charts.asp

Although the real estate market has largely appeciated over time, it's clearly not true everywhere. Plenty of people have lost lots of money in real estate. A mortgage is an investment. Hopefully your house appreciates, and is worth more at the end of the loan. If not, at least it gives you a place to live.

A med school loan is similar -- an investment in your future. Is it worth it? I'm not certain.

Some people have had mortgages close to 7%, and it isn't like you would get a better interest rate than that for an unsecured debt with as many payment options (although I guess there are some companies that are refinancing student loans so that is something to consider). But regardless, the point is that it is possible to pay your student loans on a physician salary. The fact that the interest you pay just goes down the tubes should provide an incentive to live as frugally as possible for as long as possible to reduce the amount you lose.

I agree there is a huge incentive to pay it off. I also agree that physicians have the means to pay it and I don't think it should be treated as a 20 year mortgage.

Student loans are the biggest racket ever. The idea that all education is created equal is a farce. Med school loans have one of the lowest default rates and therefore deserve a much lower interest rate. Maybe if the interest rate was higher on things like art history majors then fewer people would be graduating college with unemployable degrees.

It's funny that people think "the government" is helping people with education. They are in the student loan business because it is a cash cow. The government profited 41 billion on student loans last year. Rant over.

Reactions: 5 users
A med school loan is similar -- an investment in your future. Is it worth it? I'm not certain.

Pretty sure your earning potential appreciates a fair bit more from the four years you spend getting your MD than any house will appreciate over any comparable amount of time.

Over the long term, housing market (taking into account repair costs and such) will increase at about the rate of inflation. Some decades in some areas might be more, some might be less, but it will all even out in the end. Anyone who says otherwise is biased by short periods in the last couple of decades as opposed to looking at trends over more significant periods of time.

Student loans are the biggest racket ever. The idea that all education is created equal is a farce. Med school loans have one of the lowest default rates and therefore deserve a much lower interest rate. Maybe if the interest rate was higher on things like art history majors then fewer people would be graduating college with unemployable degrees.

It's not even things like liberal arts majors that are ruining the system. It's online colleges that can qualify their students for federal grants, in spite of having something like a 40-50% per semester drop out rate. These colleges prey on the ideal of bettering oneself through education, aggressively recruit and target low SES individuals who should not even be thinking of taking out a loan on anything, watch them flush the money away, and then report record enrollment and tuition levels for the quarter to their stockholders.

The investment is widely skewed for the cost and return.
I disagree.
If I want to buy a fixed annuity that pays out only $150000 a year for 35 years at a conservative 4% annual return, it will cost me about $3,000,000 today.
Tuition seems like a good investment to me.
If you can find a job with almost zero unemployment that pays 4-20x the average family income for ~50 hours of work, take it.
I have friends on wall street that make bank, but they average 80 hours a week, more during big deal time, all hours, etc. And if they fail to perform at a constant high level, they'll be replaced by someone who is hungrier and likely struggle to find the same high income job. These same people have very high stress jobs and don't know their children.

Reactions: 3 users
I believe the current student loan rate is in the 6-8% range, depending on various characteristics. If you're an AMG, debt will be about 150-200k depending on the state and tuition amount. DO's and IMGs have it rough as these are private schools, higher exam costs, etc. Some will be able to make loan payments while in residency. Those that cannot will have an aggrigate amount to the tune of about 350-400k (a humbly priced home in California). Earnings will be eaten alive with current tax structures (especially if you're on a W2), payments on loans, payments on rent/home to live, car payment and starting to save money for retirement. Doesn't leave a whole lot of room.

I don't believe the time invested for the above average earnings, highly litiginous society, and micromanagement practice styles is worth the return on investment. If tuition were reduced by 50-66%, then yes, I would agree but that leads into another discussion about the student loan bubble that has been building for years. FMGs for the most part are debt free when they come do residency here, which I am envious of.

There are better jobs which require less time and have the same stress level out there (ie: ATC) and give a better return on investment.

How do you decide if you should pay off loans ASAP or invest?

If you would not be willing to take out a loan at the same interest (as your student loan(s)) and invest it, then pay off the loan
I agree with that in principle, but at some point don't you have to take compounding interest into account?

How do you decide if you should pay off loans ASAP or invest?
Depends on the interest rate. Above 5% but less than 6.5%, do a 50/50 extra payment and stash it for a rainy, retirement day as you'll be earning more. Above 6.5%, with some I'm reading which are 8%, get those paid off more quickly.

My wife and I are both residents. We decided to not game the system and just pay the standard 10-year payment. We had $240,000 of debt combined, so that's a $2700 monthly payment.

We have about $6600 per month after taxes. After paying off loans, that leaves about $3900 for all other expenses, including rent/mortgage.

The trick to paying off loans during residency is to do residency at a very low cost area and have a super low mortgage. Our house is $140,000, so our monthly payment is about $650. We also get some tax benefit from the mortgage interest deduction which covers property tax. Since we live in a super cheap area, this house is actually not a rat hole. We also have two old but reliable Japanese cars, so have very low car insurance and no car payments.

It's doable. Not fun, but doable.

The older I get, the more I realize how good the Boomers had it (homes under $120k throughout the country, little to no educational debt, and salaries not much lower than today), and how much they have screwed up this country and squandered our national wealth.

Last edited:
My wife and I are both residents. We decided to not game the system and just pay the standard 10-year payment. We had $240,000 of debt combined, so that's a $2700 monthly payment.

We have about $6600 per month after taxes. After paying off loans, that leaves about $3900 for all other expenses, including rent/mortgage.

The trick to paying off loans during residency is to do residency at a very low cost area and have a super low mortgage. Our house is $140,000, so our monthly payment is about $650. We also get some tax benefit from the mortgage interest deduction which covers property tax. Since we live in a super cheap area, this house is actually not a rat hole. We also have two old but reliable Japanese cars, so have very low car insurance and no car payments.

The older I get, the more I realize how good the Boomers had it (homes under $120k throughout the country, little to no educational debt, and salaries not much lower than today), and how much they have screwed up this country and squandered our national wealth.

naus, you may be leaving a lot of money on the table. There is no benefit to a 10 year loan repayment over IBR, even if you aren't shooting for public service loan forgiveness,

Under an IBR plan, you could be paying a minimal amount toward the loans that are at low interest and using the rest of the money you are currently paying to selectively pay down your highest interest loans first.

naus, you may be leaving a lot of money on the table. There is no benefit to a 10 year loan repayment over IBR, even if you aren't shooting for public service loan forgiveness,

Under an IBR plan, you could be paying a minimal amount toward the loans that are at low interest and using the rest of the money you are currently paying to selectively pay down your highest interest loans first.

My loans are all at 6.8%, so the 10 year standard loan payment will leave the least amount of interest paid and the quickest way out of debt.

IBR doesn't really make sense for most physicians in a 2-income household. IBR makes sense when you don't have the cash flow to pay off your standard monthly payment because you only have one $55k income. IBR is also for some people who want to splurge a little during residency. That's okay too.

My loans are all at 6.8%, so the 10 year standard loan payment will leave the least amount of interest paid and the quickest way out of debt.

IBR doesn't really make sense for most physicians in a 2-income household. IBR makes sense when you don't have the cash flow to pay off your standard monthly payment because you only have one $55k income. IBR is also for some people who want to splurge a little during residency. That's okay too.

I don't think you realize how IBR works.

IBR is ALWAYS either beneficial or neutral. The benefit of IBR is that it forgives your additional subsidized loan interest (beyond what is covered by your payment) for the first 3 years. You can pay extra on top of that if you so choose, toward whatever loan you wish. After 3 years, that benefit goes away, but you can continue to pay extra toward whatever loan you choose. The only way it is ever neutral is if you make so much that the IBR payment is higher than the 10 year loan repayment, in which case it defaults to the 10 year loan repayment.

Thus, if either you or your wife have loans that are subsidized or at different interest rates, you are leaving money on the table. In either of those cases, IBR could satisfy your payment (a lower payment) on the low interest and subsidized loans, allowing you to apply the reminder of the $2700 specifically toward higher interest or unsubsidized loans.

Can you explain how you think IBR could ever be detrimental?

He isn't saying IBR is detrimental, just that it doesn't make sense for his situation. If you have a dual income household it is likely that your IBR payment would be the 10 yr repayment and so it is no different (although there is a tiny detriment from having to apply for IBR if you don't need it, I guess). It isn't like you can go on IBR and have them pay your subsidized interest and your payment just goes to principal in that situation (honestly I don't think it would work like that even if your IBR payment was less than the 10 yr repayment, unless you paid all accrued interest just before it capitalizes-is that each time you renew your IBR, check because it might be). Dual income households make the IBR calculations a bit screwy, even if both parties have loans (might be different if you file separate taxes but that has it's own issues).

Fair enough. But the qualifier to this is; ... if you match there.

He isn't saying IBR is detrimental, just that it doesn't make sense for his situation. If you have a dual income household it is likely that your IBR payment would be the 10 yr repayment and so it is no different (although there is a tiny detriment from having to apply for IBR if you don't need it, I guess).

That is frequently untrue and, in fact, isn't even remotely true in this case. At $110k income and $12k std deduction, their discretionary income would be $110k-$12k-$23k (150% of the poverty line) = 75k. 15% of this is $11.25k, making his monthly payment ~$940. This is a third of what he is paying - nowhere remotely close to his 10 year repayment.

It isn't like you can go on IBR and have them pay your subsidized interest and your payment just goes to principal in that situation (honestly I don't think it would work like that even if your IBR payment was less than the 10 yr repayment, unless you paid all accrued interest just before it capitalizes-is that each time you renew your IBR, check because it might be).

Actually, that's exactly what would happen. His subsidized loan interest would be waived beyond the fraction of $940 that goes toward the subsidized loans. Under IBR, he would be free to apply the remaining ~$1800/mo (that he is currently paying) to the highest interest and/or unsubsidized loans. This would undoubtedly benefit him. The only way that it wouldn't is if all of his (and his wife's) loans were unsubsidized at the exact same interest rate. Any other scenario means that he is leaving money on the table.

Dual income households make the IBR calculations a bit screwy, even if both parties have loans (might be different if you file separate taxes but that has it's own issues).

It isn't much more complicated. Laws were passed several years ago so that each person is only responsible for the fraction of loans that is theirs.

That is frequently untrue and, in fact, isn't even remotely true in this case. At $110k income and $12k std deduction, their discretionary income would be $110k-$12k-$23k (150% of the poverty line) = 75k. 15% of this is $11.25k, making his monthly payment ~$940. This is a third of what he is paying - nowhere remotely close to his 10 year repayment.

Let me clarify. I am in the IBR program, because I view it as an insurance policy in the event I can't pay off $2700 a month in some months (car accident, babies, illness etc). I don't have to go into forbearance and lose my rate discounts. However, while in IBR, I'm still paying what is the standard monthly payment ($2700) while I can. This is partly because I don't have the time or skill to invest in a fund that would net greater than 6.55%.

But you're comparing benefits only looking at the minimum payment. That's like comparing two credit cards only by looking at the minimum monthly payment. Your interest is still accruing under IBR.

The stuff about unpaid interest in subsidized loans being covered for 3 years is true, but our minimum IBR monthly payment (just over $1000) covers pretty much our entire monthly accrued interest so that benefit is almost negligible. It's not like I can choose to pay nothing for the subsidized part of my loans in lieu of paying my unsubsidized part. I still have to pay the minimum payment of that, which just happens to mostly cover the interest.

Last edited:
Let me clarify. I am in the IBR program, because I view it as an insurance policy in the event I can't pay off $2700 a month in some months (car accident, babies, illness etc). I don't have to go into forbearance and lose my rate discounts. However, while in IBR, I'm still paying what is the standard monthly payment ($2700) while I can. This is partly because I don't have the time or skill to invest in a fund that would net greater than 6.55%.

Then you have been doing exactly as I suggested (i.e. using IBR to ensure the benefits of that plan and then paying additionally toward the loans that you choose), while debating with me that it doesn't make sense for a two income household. At no point did I say that you (or anyone) should pay only the minimum. In fact, quite to the contrary. I have repeatedly explained that the purpose of IBR (in your situation) was to allow you to make selective payments with the remainder of the money ($2700 minus the IBR payment) that you are allocating to loans.

But you're comparing benefits only looking at the minimum payment. That's like comparing two credit cards only by looking at the minimum monthly payment.

It's like you've somehow been reading half of each sentence that I've written. That's not at all what I've been saying. Read it again. I have laid out exactly the plan which you are currently using (while you've been debating with me that it doesn't make sense). You enroll in IBR so that you MAY have the benefit of some forgiven interest while making additionally payments on the principle. In both scenarios, you are putting $2700 per month toward the loans, but under IBR, you MAY have some of the interest forgiven and you can allocate ~$1700 of it toward whatever loan(s) you choose.

Your interest is still accruing under IBR.

Your interest is accruing under every plan - and at the same rate. The only difference is that, with IBR, the government MAY be forgiving some of that interest. With a 10 year repayment (or any other plan that I'm aware of), they aren't.

The stuff about unpaid interest in subsidized loans being covered for 3 years is true, but our minimum IBR monthly payment (just over $1000) covers pretty much our entire monthly accrued interest so that benefit is almost negligible.

That "stuff about unpaid interest" is the entire thesis here! It may be negligible for you, but it is there. And there's no reason you shouldn't take advantage of it (which you are) because there's absolutely no downside. And you could exploit it even further if you, for instance, put money into a tax deferred account such as an IRA to lower your AGI. The lower your AGI, the less your IBR payment, the more the government forgives of that interest, and the more of the $2700 you can put toward specific loans.

It's not like I can choose to pay nothing for the subsidized part of my loans in lieu of paying my unsubsidized part. I still have to pay the minimum payment of that, which just happens to mostly cover the interest.

Of course. Just as I said before: "subsidized loan interest would be waived beyond the fraction of $940 (or as you have now clarified, "just over $1000") that goes toward the subsidized loans." Again, it may be a small amount that is being forgiven, but there is no downside.

I think you understand now, but if you don't, I have just one question for you: Assuming you are going to pay $2700 per month regardless of the payment plan (which is what we've been saying this entire time), try and come up with one reason that IBR could ever be anything but beneficial, or at the worst, neutral?

Last edited:
Hey - anyone graduate after 2007 and familiar with "pay as you earn" ?

My med school office of financial aid is advising all of us to not seek forbearance during residency, select the Pay As You Earn (PAE) option and then pay 10% of loans for 10 years and have the rest forgiven. From what I understand, all hospitals with residencies qualify under the public service loan forgiveness (PSLF) program. So if you're in residency + fellowship for 6 years, you work at an academic institution for another 4...all the while paying 10% of your income per month (specific to PAE)...then after 10 consecutive years of paying the rest of your federal loans are forgiven. You can actually play around with your own debt, seeing how much you would pay/owe with the different types of repayment plans here: www.aamc.org/first

Am I totally misinterpreting this? And if what I'm thinking about my repayment situation is correct, if Congress changes the policy on student loan forgiveness (specifically referring to Obama's proposed 2015 budget here) does it impact those students who have already chosen PAE?

Hellllllp please!

My med school office of financial aid is advising all of us to not seek forbearance during residency, select the Pay As You Earn (PAE) option and then pay 10% of loans for 10 years and have the rest forgiven. From what I understand, all hospitals with residencies qualify under the public service loan forgiveness (PSLF) program. So if you're in residency + fellowship for 6 years, you work at an academic institution for another 4...all the while paying 10% of your income per month (specific to PAE)...then after 10 consecutive years of paying the rest of your federal loans are forgiven. You can actually play around with your own debt, seeing how much you would pay/owe with the different types of repayment plans here: www.aamc.org/first

Am I totally misinterpreting this? And if what I'm thinking about my repayment situation is correct, if Congress changes the policy on student loan forgiveness (specifically referring to Obama's proposed 2015 budget here) does it impact those students who have already chosen PAE?

Hellllllp please!

Sort of.

Public service loan forgiveness (PSLF): A program in which the government forgives the remainder of the balance of your direct loans after 120 payments are made on time while working for a non-profit.

Direct loans: Loans directly through the department of education. This does not include any FFELP loans.

Most, but not all residencies are associated with a non-profit medical center. Assuming yours is associated with a non-profit, you can make payments (under any payment plan) toward the 120 qualifying PSLF payments during residency. The IBR plan, not the PAE plan, is the one that maxes out at 10-15% of your discretionary spending. If you make no payments beyond your IBR plan, your payments will be very manageable, but you may lose ground on your balance over that time.

As an attending, your IBR plan will most likely default to the 10 year repayment plan. If you continue to work for a non-profit, you can make the remainder of the 120 payments toward PSLF, after which the rest will be forgiven under the current plan. However, any of this can change and there is no guarantee of being "grandfathered-in" if and when it does.

Last edited:

That's pretty irresponsible of your med school to advise on banking on PSLF loan forgiveness when not a single soul has gotten a cent forgiven yet. It's unclear that PSLF will be grandfathered for us, because it's not a payment plan. The IBR and old PAYE plan will likely be grandfathered. But there's no guarantee there won't be a cap of $57k for the PSLF loan forgiveness once the first batch begins in 2017.

As an attending, your IBR plan will most likely default to the 10 year repayment plan.
This is becoming less and less true with each passing year. The PAE plan (basically IBR for post-2007 loans, and the subject of this post) is based on spending 10% of discretionary income.

Take a typical $250,000 salary as an attending, and now we are talking payments of only about $20,000 a year. That's not even going to cover the interest on an increasingly common $300,000 student loan at 6.8% at the end of residency. There is no way that would cover paying the loan off in 10 years.

The attending always has the option of converting the repayment to a 10-year plan, but the plan most likely will not default to the 10-year repayment plan as an typical attending physician. The dirty little secret is, full price medical student loans in 2014 aren't designed to be paid off. Ever.

Crazy. Putting as much money as you can into those loans guarantees you a 6% ++ ROI. Which beats a lot of retirement plans. Get debt free as soon as you can