how to pay for masters program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently recommended by an admission officer that I should do a masters/postbac program to increase my chance of getting in since I have been out of school for a while. I applied during this cycle and got waitlisted at all of the schools I interviewed at.

I am currently working in a research lab as a lab technician and as you all know lab techs don't get paid well. I really don't have much money saved right now.

I am wondering how people who do such programs pay for it? Do people take out loans? Can anyone give me some ideas? It would be quite expensive for me since I would have to pay for both tuition and living cost.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think that schools interviewed you and then decided not to admit you because you didn't have the right coursework? Nonsense! Your advisor has only a hammer and is treating everything like a nail. A masters degree is not the answer to every problem but if the advisor's school is selling masters degrees, maybe that is the answer that works for them (but not for you).

You need to be ruthless in your assessment of your interviewing skills and how you could better present yourself at interviews. You got interviews, now it is a question of how to turn those interviews into offers. You can also at least try to ask the schools that turned you down after interview for some tips on how you might improve your application in anticipation of reapplication. Some schools will and some won't give you a telephone consultation... it doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
You can also at least try to ask the schools that turned you down after interview for some tips on how you might improve your application in anticipation of reapplication.

That's actually what I did and they actually recommended doing a masters since I have been out of school since 2014 even though I have a very high GPA and solid MCAT (3.9+ and 513ish MCAT). :(

Do you mind helping me? I made another post related to this one. The link is below.

Nontrad waitlisted application help

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's actually what I did and they actually recommended doing a masters since I have been out of school since 2014 even though I have a very high GPA and solid MCAT (3.9+ and 513ish MCAT). :(

Do you mind helping me? I made another post related to this one. The link is below.

Nontrad waitlisted application help
They interviewed you only to tell you that your classes were too old??

Reactions: 1 user
I was recently recommended by an admission officer that I should do a masters/postbac program to increase my chance of getting in since I have been out of school for a while. I applied during this cycle and got waitlisted at all of the schools I interviewed at.

I am currently working in a research lab as a lab technician and as you all know lab techs don't get paid well. I really don't have much money saved right now.

I am wondering how people who do such programs pay for it? Do people take out loans? Can anyone give me some ideas? It would be quite expensive for me since I would have to pay for both tuition and living cost.

Thanks!

So I definitely get where you're coming from. I'm going to school again after college, and here's what I found that is helpful. Again, minimum wage jobs may not be much, but they do help!

Once you find out how much money you make financially each month from your lab-tech job, then devote a chunk of that money to savings for secondary school. Even more, go to the bank and ask advice about how you can save money, while at the same time opening a CD account to accumulate more interest in that account than a regular savings account.

Good luck!

They told you something that sounded factual and actionable, perhaps because the real reasons were harder to articulate.

There is nothing about the age of prereqs in their admission requirement. Do you mean the real reason for why I got waitlisted?