How to organize/prioritize Step 1 resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femmegoblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently began my second year of medical school (DO). We started systems in winter of first year, and so far I have been through Neuro, GU, Endo, Derm, Female Repro, GI in addition to all of the basic sciences. Psych, Heme-Onc and Cardio come this Fall, and Ethics/Resp are in Spring. We have ~8-10 weeks of dedicated.

I really would love some advice on where to begin, especially since I have one month off before semester 2 of second year begins. Beginning with Neuro, I began to annotate First Aid & Pathoma, and used both to also study for my systems exams. I did not annotate FA for my basic sciences. Our class purchased a yearlong membership to UWorld, which I activated late July. I want to know how to properly incorperate the UWorld questions into my studying as well as my upcoming systems. I also have the Kaplan Course + Step1 and COMLEX 1 Q-banks.

Is it a good idea to go back and begin studying my basic sciences using FA and then doing the UWorld Q-bank, or should I be relying on Kaplan's Q bank instead and save UWorld for when I have more mastery of the content? I know my weakest subject by far is Microbiology.

Or, should I be only focusing on the systems I'm in and save going back for dedicated time?

I am seriously lost and would appreciate any help. Leaning toward OB +/- fellowship if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 is step 1 - it doesn't matter if you leaning toward OB or FM. Your goal should be to have at least 1 pass of FA with Pathoma (if you can do second pass - it would be golden) before dedicated time and you need to add some resource for Pharm/Micro (either Anki or Lange Flashcards (carbon copy) or it can be Sketchy - pick one and study it good) - also before dedicated. That's all you need really. You don't have to do UW before dedicated. When dedicated time comes - do only UW in 3 weeks, then redo wrong ones in 1 week and take exam if your average will be more than 60-70%. Simple.

During 1 month off between 1st and 2nd semester - watch Pathoma videos in 1 week (that can be a 1st pass of Pathoma). Then read FA basic sciences in 1 week. Then read Micro/Pharm Lange Flashcards - in 2 weeks both (Parm cards and Micro cards - they are about 300 flashcards each - they cover everything you'll need for step 1).

My point is that when you'll have a good foundation of Pathoma, FA, Pharm/Micro - then you'll only need to do UW once during dedicated and you'll be done. There is no need to do 5k questions etc. UW is a learning tool - each question has about a half page worth of explanations - that's about 1200 pages total - that is like going through FA twice. You can do it during dedicated to hammer down everything.

Reactions: 1 user