How to Match Into Competitive/top-mid Tier Program from low-tier/community program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Forssmann

Reaction score
How does one Match Into Competitive/top-mid Tier Program from low-tier/community program?

Members don't see this ad.

How does one Match Into Competitive/top-mid Tier Program from low-tier/community program?
Things you can’t control- AMG vs IMG, Step scores

Things you can control
1. Quality research- not bs ACC abstracts but first author publications in top journals with big names in the field
2. Chief residency
3. Connections- important people who will put their personal rep on the line for you

Reactions: 1 user
Things you can’t control- AMG vs IMG, Step scores

Things you can control
1. Quality research- not bs ACC abstracts but first author publications in top journals with big names in the field
2. Chief residency
3. Connections- important people who will put their personal rep on the line for you
How much research do you think would get me into the ball park/get me an interview. ( I am a us MD, low board scores, going to low-tier university program) Our program has little to no research going on unfortunately and I am driving all of my research. I am working on 2 IRB approved retrospective studies, and published a case report in major journal, 2 chapters in a book. Now starting my PGY2.

I am wondering if I should reach out to other programs to make connections on my own now? Or if I should just hold off and pump out more research on my own. I'm not a talented resident (I would say middle of the road) but for whatever reason I can pump out research. I'm not confident that I will be offered a chief year. I am very close with our cardiology PD. (I am confident I can have the internal spot if I apply straight out as there are no chiefs competing with me; I do not want to appear or be seen as greedy. I just want to aim as high as I can). Any advice would be appreciated! thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The real question is why do you need to go to a fancy pants place? There are tons of programs that'll give you great training that aren't at the Mayo, Brig, or Hopkins.

The real question is why do you need to go to a fancy pants place? There are tons of programs that'll give you great training that aren't at the Mayo, Brig, or Hopkins.
Great question. I am very happy going anywhere. I know I'm not an impressive candidate. The honest answer is: I'm from a major city in California and all my family is in California. All the programs in California are extremely competitive to my knowledge and I'm just wondering how I can go back. Also I enjoy research and nerding out on stuff. I would like to go to a program that values that.

How much research do you think would get me into the ball park/get me an interview. ( I am a us MD, low board scores, going to low-tier university program) Our program has little to no research going on unfortunately and I am driving all of my research. I am working on 2 IRB approved retrospective studies, and published a case report in major journal, 2 chapters in a book. Now starting my PGY2.

I am wondering if I should reach out to other programs to make connections on my own now? Or if I should just hold off and pump out more research on my own. I'm not a talented resident (I would say middle of the road) but for whatever reason I can pump out research. I'm not confident that I will be offered a chief year. I am very close with our cardiology PD. (I am confident I can have the internal spot if I apply straight out as there are no chiefs competing with me; I do not want to appear or be seen as greedy. I just want to aim as high as I can). Any advice would be appreciated! thank you for your help!
Come on man, if you made this far in life I think you are pretty talented!
I agree @aafisahar, why do you want to go a big name place in the first place? If your goal is to go back to California then that’s a different story. Just to give you a comparison, an IC fellow in Hopkins or BWH will get to do about 250 PCI in one year and the IC fellows I know in my program (a high volume PCI center, not big names but reputable one) did >850 in a COVID year. Which one do you think will be better suited in a real world practice? Not saying research is not important but let’s be honest, how many of us out there will do research for research?
To answer your question, I think your best bet is to do as much as your resource allows, think about chief year +/- a dedicated productive research fellowship at a major center. And even then I think you are still gambling and whether all these effort/time/opportunity cost is worth it is really up to you.

Come on man, if you made this far in life I think you are pretty talented!
I agree @aafisahar, why do you want to go a big name place in the first place? If your goal is to go back to California then that’s a different story. Just to give you a comparison, an IC fellow in Hopkins or BWH will get to do about 250 PCI in one year and the IC fellows I know in my program (a high volume PCI center, not big names but reputable one) did >850 in a COVID year. Which one do you think will be better suited in a real world practice? Not saying research is not important but let’s be honest, how many of us out there will do research for research?
To answer your question, I think your best bet is to do as much as your resource allows, think about chief year +/- a dedicated productive research fellowship at a major center. And even then I think you are still gambling and whether all these effort/time/opportunity cost is worth it is really up to you.
Haha thanks for the confidence booster. My goal is go back to California.