How to Manage Techs in Retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avex007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need advice. I work at the corner of happiness ...

I am a staff rph but have been switching stores , floating and back to switching stores (3rd store now).
I never asked to be placed in a store.

As a floater I have been to busy stores with competent techs, which I love. However, I keep getting placed in medium volume stores or low volume stores with insubordinate/less knowledgable techs.

Am I being placed in these stores because nobody wants to be there or because I'm not good enough?

The issue is the techs don't listen to me and complain about me to the rxm, who always side with them (no matter which store)
These techs are lazy, slow at filling, calling out, don't pick up phones, don't do smart counts, F1 etc..

In the last store I was at, I brought the metrics up significantly because I did things my way (fought with techs). However, they got me removed from the store probably by complaining to DM/ store manager. I got swapped to a slower store where the rph wasn't getting along with her rxm.

I've asked senior techs (ones who stay out of drama) for advice, and they tell me that I need more confidence and when I am too soft in the begining, they will step all over me.

What can I do to do better at managing these insubordinate techs.

1) Why do rxm's always favor techs over floaters/staff. Am I missing something about politics at retail?

2) How can I win them over without having to slave myself to techs.

3) what can I do in instances of call outs, when Rx manager refuses to give them warning. Can I print a record of discussion / warning and have the store manager write up the tech instead of the rxm?

4) how can I insure that techs are doing their job when Rx manager ignores my concerns and I cannot write them up?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly these techs give me more stress than the customers ever do.

In my last store, certain techs got multiple customer complaints but rxm nor corporate does anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Some of these tech only do the register. If they want to be that way, why even get a tech license? A front end person can do better. Actually when the front end people help, they do better than my techs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I responded to your questions before... Too lazy to check
1. Can't run a store as a manager without techs. Staff is easily replaceable. Floater is insignificant.
2. You are not in position to win them over unless you are the pharmacy manager.
3. You can do your own documenting. Sometimes it might work but you'd still need your manager on your side eventually.
4. You can't. Become the manager and get involved in politics from better angle possibly.

You can set clear expectations with the techs but it will be toothless if you don’t have your boss on your side. If your boss sides with the techs ask your boss why. Clearly there is a mismatch between your expectations and your bosses. I would advise you against beating your head against the wall if your boss isn’t backing you up.

Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 3 users
yeah sometimes the manager doesn't know how to manage the techs themselves resulting in lazy and bad techs.... not much you can do....

Sometimes I go to other stores to help out and it amazes me how lazy and slow of the techs are, in my head im just like damn who trained you guys

I've asked senior techs (ones who stay out of drama) for advice, and they tell me that I need more confidence and when I am too soft in the begining, they will step all over me.

Ultimately techs should be doing what you direct them to (unless outright illegal and/or immoral). Also don't care about a store more than the manager. If the manager sucks **** that's on the DM.

As to why ****ty techs seem to stick around no matter what, corporate types are limp-wristed and scared of litigation from these meatbag wastes of space. You literally need them to steal (ideally controlled substances) to get them ****canned in a nano second. I've done 7 write ups in 5 years. None of them were auto-term even with False Claim Act violations, gross misbehavior etc. Apparently the dumber the **** you are the more likely you will get away with ****.

TBH if you have techs that "want" to do only the register, on the one hand that's a fail because the manager can't train these dips. On the other hand it frees up everyone else to do other work (unless the pick up onry tech is total garbage)

Last edited:
Ultimately techs should be doing what you direct them to (unless outright illegal and/or immoral). Also don't care about a store more than the manager. If the manager sucks **** that's on the DM.

As to why ****ty techs seem to stick around no matter what, corporate types are limp-wristed and scared of litigation from these meatbag wastes of space. You literally need them to steal (ideally controlled substances) to get them ****canned in a nano second. I've done 7 write ups in 5 years. None of them were auto-term even with False Claim Act violations, gross misbehavior etc. Apparently the dumber the **** you are the more likely you will get away with ****.

TBH if you have techs that "want" to do only the register, on the one hand that's a fail because the manager can't train these dips. On the other hand it frees up everyone else to do other work (unless the pick up onry tech is total garbage)

At my new store. One tech act like shes above us because she was brought here for covid testing. She doesn't get the phone nor the drive thru even though 80% of them are questions about covid or covid appointments. I have to leave my station to get the drive thru 100% of the time. She never goes. Can I complain?

I never brought it up yet because I don't want to be labeled as a drama queen, but these techs are really trying my patience.

For people who got good stores with good tech, how did you do so?

So why are corporate not afraid of litigation from pharmacist but so afraid of techs? Pharmacists have the funds while techs don't tend to (Not saying I will)

Yeah, in my first store a male tech literally talked about male junk on camera with hand motions. After deliberating for two weeks, HR gave him a verbal warning and decided to keep him. He's still with the company at the first store. Actually I know the pharmacist who replaced me there (Loved around the district) also left. I guess you burn out with these people.

I'm not getting it. Why do rxm always spoil them? If performance is bad, isn't metrics going to fall? Wouldn't Dm replace Rxm if they don't pull the store together? If I were Rxm, I would fire the worst/ insubordinate to make an example and the rest of the tech will either quit or get there **** together. Metrics would soon rise.

At my last store, a tech got away with

1) refuse to tell me which wrong script was sold (STARS). I assumed she tried to swap bags on purpose since it was under my name but per policy, she was probably like "oh **** moment", when she realized she would be the one in trouble

2) constantly late/ calling out. One time excuse, was she had an appointment with a housing broker. I had to work alone on the weekend with no tech

3) filing false complaints about me to Rxm who took her statement but never took statements from me nor asked me about it. I found it by chance in my my improvement folder.

4) returning a controll Rx against my will/permission

I called HR who verbally agrees with me on the phone but then the DM just moves me to a different store. I also had documented email complaints to my rxm

So unfair, why not move the techs?

The filling tech is in cohort with the ring up tech. Slow at filling argumentive etc..
She would literally fill everything last minute (hide baskets) and give it to me last minute purposely so that it would look like I'm not finalizing it on time.

I played the game by verifying everything (scaning), placing back in the basket and the bagging after double checking.
They hated me keeping baskets, but they should fill thing so that I get ample time to verify.

You can set clear expectations with the techs but it will be toothless if you don’t have your boss on your side. If your boss sides with the techs ask your boss why. Clearly there is a mismatch between your expectations and your bosses. I would advise you against beating your head against the wall if your boss isn’t backing you up.

Good luck! :luck:
I believe they act differently towards my boss than towards me and floaters.
Floaters also complain to me that they don't pick up phones

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to have a heart-to-heart with the pharmacy manager. If you can't come to an agreement on tech expectations and delegations then you'll be hard pressed to change the culture they enable.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you saying that you have a problem at multiple stores with different techs? If that is the case, you are probably being taken advantage of as a floater in an already poor performance store. Most stores that have good/excellent metrics will have techs that are on top of things to overcome poor floater work ethics... If I were in your shoes, i would grab my balls and confront techs about the issues you need to address. If they refuse to work as a team and be insubordinate, i would straight up send them home.

Wow, yeah I feel you on this one...problem being you likely aren't going to be in a position to make an impact unless you are staff or RPh for a significant amount of time @ 1 location. It all starts with the hiring process....advice from my former PIC...questions to ask: availability, do you own a car (ensure transportation is not an issue), attitude (willing to help out/cover shifts on short notice?), computer skills (seriously, amazing what Apple has done making young people incompetent/foreign to PCs), and ability to learn (adaptability is big too)

I feel like some techs are simply lost causes in the learning and computer skills department....need to be told what button to push when and going over how to do the same task X times....sadly I'll have to take this tech over one which is fully competent yet calls out on a whim frequently

I am a staff rph but have been switching stores , floating and back to switching stores (3rd store now).

As a floater I have been to busy stores with competent techs, which I love. However, I keep getting placed in medium volume stores or low volume stores with insubordinate/less knowledgable techs.

Am I being placed in these stores because nobody wants to be there or because I'm not good enough?

The issue is the techs don't listen to me and complain about me to the rxm, who always side with them (no matter which store)
These techs are lazy, slow at filling, calling out, don't pick up phones, don't do smart counts, F1 etc..

In the last store I was at, I brought the metrics up significantly because I did things my way (fought with techs). However, they got me removed from the store probably by complaining to DM/ store manager. I got swapped to a slower store where the rph wasn't getting along with her rxm.

1) Why do rxm's always favor techs over floaters/staff. Am I missing something about politics at retail?

3) what can I do in instances of call outs, when Rx manager refuses to give them warning. Can I print a record of discussion / warning and have the store manager write up the tech instead of the rxm?

4) how can I insure that techs are doing their job when Rx manager ignores my concerns and I cannot write them up?

1. Because techs outlast the latter.
2. In some cases, you don't if you're a floater. In those cases, try not to draw the toxic store.
3. Not usually.
4. You don't, you have no stake in the store as a floater.

Solution: Stop being a floater.

The filling tech is in cohort with the ring up tech. Slow at filling argumentive etc..
She would literally fill everything last minute (hide baskets) and give it to me last minute purposely so that it would look like I'm not finalizing it on time.

I played the game by verifying everything (scaning), placing back in the basket and the bagging after double checking.
They hated me keeping baskets, but they should fill thing so that I get ample time to verify.
That's super simple to fix. Call your Loss Prevention Supervisor and have them review tapes. If they are that stupid, not a problem getting them fired.

For the STARS, I should have contacted LP. Stupid me misplaced my documentation. I was on the fence about it because I knew the manager would be pissed about it. I might have not documented it either or misplaced my paper. Banging my head on that one.

The day before I got switched to a different store, the DM came to tell us to sign people for rx saving. The techs bitched about how stupid the DM was and that they didn't have any time (when the DM left). Its ironic that I'm trying to help the DM but they rather help the people who go against him.

How would you feel about reaching out to your district leader? Do you think the district leader would have your back in this situation? If the pharmacy manager won't help you out, the district leader would be the next level up. Of course this depends on how supportive you think the district leader would be.

To answer your questions:

1. Because, unfortunately, floaters are notorious for leaving work behind and leaving the pharmacy a mess. This may not be you, but there's enough floaters out there doing a less than stellar job to give floaters as a whole a bad reputation.

Have you ever worked with other staff RPHs/pharmacy managers on the same shift before? How do you feel that your work productivity compares to theirs? If you aren't as fast at verification or you don't help as much with customers as the home store RPHs some of the staff may resent you. Also, many floaters aren't as good with insurance processing/solving issues, so how experienced are you? It can be a lot on the techs when they have to be the ones solving all the hard problems and no support.
However, there is also the possibility here that the techs are being lazy because they can get away with it and just 'blame it on the floater'. If this is the case and you genuinely feel it could harm your evaluation of you by management as you as a pharmacist I would reach out to the district leader, if you have a decent one that you think will help.

2. You shouldn't be a slave to the techs, as the pharmacist, you should be the one that gives direction. With that said, try to be supportive where you can. If you notice pick up tech has a huge line, jump onto 2nd register and help pickup. If you see a customer chewing into a tech and getting loud, take over and help mediate the situation if you can.
But at the end of the day if they still don't like you, that's just too bad.

3. I would probably avoid doing this as this is really the pharmacy manager's job. You don't need to do anything beyond informing the pharmacy manager. I wouldn't go to the store manager. If you decide to discuss your issue with your district leader, you could maybe bring this up as proof of your argument, but if not, I would just let it go.

4. You don't, that's your pharmacy manager's job and you don't get their pay.

Conflict between new rph and experienced tech is more common than you would think. There are few things you can do to improve your situation:

1) Say hello/ good morning every time you enter the pharmacy or someone else enters while you are working. It’s important even if you had a conflict with that person in the past.

2) Be respectful. Your coworkers would like you to value them. Smile and if you need their help, ask nicely.

“Can I please have someone help with the line or answer the phone?”

3) Help them out any way you can. By answering the phone or filling or helping with register once in a while. Pharmacists who just stand and do nothing except verification are hated the most.

4) Be efficient. Techs get yelled at by customers when their scripts aren’t ready on time. Make sure you are doing your part as a rph and not contributing to this. And if there is any upset customer arguing with your tech, then you need to take over the conversation and deal with that person. It creates the impression that you are in charge and you care about them. You don’t throw your associates to the wolves. Don’t be one of those rph who would hide behind the computer while your associate is being chewed out.

You will gain more confidence but it will take time. It comes with the experience. Good luck!

I think DMs tend to side with Rxm and store Managers

How would you feel about reaching out to your district leader? Do you think the district leader would have your back in this situation? If the pharmacy manager won't help you out, the district leader would be the next level up. Of course this depends on how supportive you think the district leader would be.

To answer your questions:

1. Because, unfortunately, floaters are notorious for leaving work behind and leaving the pharmacy a mess. This may not be you, but there's enough floaters out there doing a less than stellar job to give floaters as a whole a bad reputation.

Have you ever worked with other staff RPHs/pharmacy managers on the same shift before? How do you feel that your work productivity compares to theirs? If you aren't as fast at verification or you don't help as much with customers as the home store RPHs some of the staff may resent you. Also, many floaters aren't as good with insurance processing/solving issues, so how experienced are you? It can be a lot on the techs when they have to be the ones solving all the hard problems and no support.
However, there is also the possibility here that the techs are being lazy because they can get away with it and just 'blame it on the floater'. If this is the case and you genuinely feel it could harm your evaluation of you by management as you as a pharmacist I would reach out to the district leader, if you have a decent one that you think will help.

2. You shouldn't be a slave to the techs, as the pharmacist, you should be the one that gives direction. With that said, try to be supportive where you can. If you notice pick up tech has a huge line, jump onto 2nd register and help pickup. If you see a customer chewing into a tech and getting loud, take over and help mediate the situation if you can.
But at the end of the day if they still don't like you, that's just too bad.

3. I would probably avoid doing this as this is really the pharmacy manager's job. You don't need to do anything beyond informing the pharmacy manager. I wouldn't go to the store manager. If you decide to discuss your issue with your district leader, you could maybe bring this up as proof of your argument, but if not, I would just let it go.

4. You don't, that's your pharmacy manager's job and you don't get their pay.

You are definitely going to need time in one location to establish respect of techs....right now my store is down a PIC (going on 3 weeks now)...I find myself stepping up, giving more commands/direction to both techs and other RPh (staff and floaters) because no one else will "man up". No backlash/drama because I've been at this location for 6+ years and have respect of techs who have enough experience to be helpful

It sounds like you take your job seriously. The simple answer to this is find another job that better matches your expectations as a pharmacist. Ultimately this is the answer because you work at one of the worst places to be a pharmacist. What responsibility do you have with regards to the technicians? Undoubtedly, you are required to supervise them- this understood if not explicit in board regs. What authority does your employer give you? None. How do you manage people? Broadly, the carrot and the stick. The carrot (raises, time off, promotions, etc), stick (discipline including termination). Without these tools, you really can't supervise or manage. It's not true everywhere, but some corporations support their pharmacists better than others. I have worked at the full gamut and can tell you the pharmacies I have worked at that have empowered me ran better and my job was much better. What technician plays bs games when they know they will be terminated if they do? If you want to stay you are going to have accept your workplace as it is (multiple stores being the same way speaks volumes). Be cordial, but don't be afraid of intervening especially when it is absolutely necessary. Put your professional responsibilities first and don't go faster than is safe to accommodate techs who don't want to deal with impatient customers. Have a repeated, adverse, poor performing tech? when they make a serious mistake- bury them. Put it in writing and send it to corporate.

All of the above comments are EXACTLY WHY flogging pills at some chain store honk de honks....always has...always will...Can you imagine an MD putting up with ..say..an X-ray tech arguing and talking back.....or a surgical assistant refusing to follow an order? A chain druggist is mainly a tech with a license....You hire on with a chain? That is what you deal with......It's tolerable if the pay is up there....now what?

I think towards the end of my retail days I actually hated dealing with my techs almost as much as store management. All early twentysomethings who couldn't put down their phones long enough to do any work and all of them seemed to have Aspergers. I wanted phones banned from the pharmacy and management vetoed that, saying that if they didn't allow phones o be used WHILE working no one would work there. They paid our techs minimum wage of course. These kids couldn't look anyone in the eye, and literally couldn't communicate with customers at all unless it was through text with no personal contact. And yes I know that's a problem in general with that particular generation. Store management did all the hiring and sent all the ones who didn't work out on the front end to us, figuring they'd get stressed out (or verbally abused) till they quit, taking management off the hook for eventually firing them. Usually that was exactly what happened..... As fun as it was to ridicule them, it would have been nice to get someone good occasionally.

All of the above comments are EXACTLY WHY flogging pills at some chain store honk de honks....always has...always will...Can you imagine an MD putting up with ..say..an X-ray tech arguing and talking back.....or a surgical assistant refusing to follow an order? A chain druggist is mainly a tech with a license....You hire on with a chain? That is what you deal with......It's tolerable if the pay is up there....now what?

I don't think it is a pharmacy only issue. It depends on the institution and role of hr.

Not sure if this is related to the issue at hand but i had a tech who was super far left politically and would profess his need to yell at “dumb” patients who wouldnt agree with him. He claimed people need to be controlled with fear and that is why he is scaring them. I had a talk with him about keeping his opinion to himself on those issues and the fact that a pharmacy is a healthcare facility and should not incite fear in anyone about anything especially when it’s politically motivated. He had calmed down abit about it but i ended up letting him go when he got into it with a prn pharmacist about dispensing plaqunil. He refused to type the prescription and just went crazy over why he will not type the prescription.

Basically, if someone is causing a problem, follow the proper channel to deal with that person especially when he or she is clearly crossing the line. I would document and keep record and just deal with it legally.

Walmart HR is very ****ed.

If I knocked a co-worker TF out I would obv be fired immediately. A woman could hit another co-worker and not be fired.

That's how ****ed this company is.

Start with that knowledge and know it is almost impossible to fire anyone in a timely manner when even hitting someone is just a progressive disciplinary action depending on who is doing it and to whom and not immediate termination

Only things that work are firing people for excessive absences/tardies (which takes forever), finding out a superior is sleeping with a subordinate (and even then the superior is canned, not the subordinate), and theft

Last edited:
Apparently these techs can get floaters written up by complaining to rxm. (I never got written up btw)

But imagine if a tech didn't get along with a floater,... all they have to do is whip out a floater eval and lie . They can just slow down production. Most floaters are not smart enough to document and protect themselves.

Since I am not white , I believe racial discrimination may play a part in my case.

Actually, yesterday an employee told me her goodbye because she wasn't getting along with the assistant store manager.
She complained that the store manager was playing favorites. She is an older employee.

Golden question= How can I get a good store with good techs?

I know they are out there. I've been to some great stores.

Why do they keep putting me in bad stores?

So apparently the techs here are OK with me. They started getting doing more for me, after I demonstrated helping them.

However, I heard the Rxm is an ahole. I heard he grades very harshly. He is also friends with my previous Rxm.

In my previous store, my eval was below a 3, soley because I didn't get along with the techs. It was made clear that there was no performance issues related to workflow. Points off for leadership skills.

The DM said this was the only store available. If I get below a 3 in this store, will I get placed on PIP or given a warning?
Do you think they are doing this purposely so that I can get replaced with a cheaper new grad?

What should I do? Request to float? Ask to transfer districts?

At corner of happiness, does 2 consecutive reviews below a 3 place you on a warning?

Apparently these techs can get floaters written up by complaining to rxm. (I never got written up btw)

But imagine if a tech didn't get along with a floater,... all they have to do is whip out a floater eval and lie . They can just slow down production. Most floaters are not smart enough to document and protect themselves.

Since I am not white , I believe racial discrimination may play a part in my case.

Actually, yesterday an employee told me her goodbye because she wasn't getting along with the assistant store manager.
She complained that the store manager was playing favorites. She is an older employee.
Although I sympathize with you on bad techs, not sure if I can support your racial discrimination claim. JUST because you're not white, does not mean you can use race in your argument lol. I mean unless there was real racial discrimination... haha which I highly doubt.

Actually it has been huwhites that have claimed reverse racism in my experience. Fragile little ones

Any warnings, writeups, and bad reviews usually put you in a position that you will not be allowed to transfer. I am surprised they let you get a different store after below average review. Either way, review season is coming, so you'll find out soon enough if you should be worried. Review system in these companies is a big joke now.

Any warnings, writeups, and bad reviews usually put you in a position that you will not be allowed to transfer. I am surprised they let you get a different store after below average review. Either way, review season is coming, so you'll find out soon enough if you should be worried. Review system in these companies is a big joke now.
When is review season? What if I find the reviews unreasonable? How should I approach it without seeming like a cry baby.
There has been zero communication with the rxm because we don't overlap

I really think that once you find a store that the rxm likes you, you are set. The problem is the techs who gossip to the rxm about you. They literally want you to do everything for them and are never held accountable.

In fact I just covered an extra shift at another store where they moved a pharmacist because she wasn't getting along with a tech. The company definitely seems to be favoring techs. Same story there late, calling out, insubordination and careless rx manager.

Unfortunately good techs are scarce at the price point and work conditions offered by chains. Actually good pharmacists are also scarce but generally more pharmacists are applying for a given job opening than techs.

Unfortunately good techs are scarce at the price point and work conditions offered by chains. Actually good pharmacists are also scarce but generally more pharmacists are applying for a given job opening than techs.
Which part of your job do you dislike the most? The customers or the technicians?

Which part of your job do you dislike the most? The customers or the technicians?
****ty techs because they don't just go somewhere else (like a smart customer would) unless you make their lives miserable or fire them

I said this prob 10 times now but you can work for Chik Fil A for $17/hr (might be higher with the new min wage increase to $14/hr in California) and not have to deal with retail pharmacy bull****. What I haven't mentioned before is that Chik Fil A is also closed on Sunday.

I think towards the end of my retail days I actually hated dealing with my techs almost as much as store management. All early twentysomethings who couldn't put down their phones long enough to do any work and all of them seemed to have Aspergers. I wanted phones banned from the pharmacy and management vetoed that, saying that if they didn't allow phones o be used WHILE working no one would work there. They paid our techs minimum wage of course. These kids couldn't look anyone in the eye, and literally couldn't communicate with customers at all unless it was through text with no personal contact. And yes I know that's a problem in general with that particular generation. Store management did all the hiring and sent all the ones who didn't work out on the front end to us, figuring they'd get stressed out (or verbally abused) till they quit, taking management off the hook for eventually firing them. Usually that was exactly what happened..... As fun as it was to ridicule them, it would have been nice to get someone good occasionally.
Man.. what to say to this. The vibes of this post are quite far-reaching in the depths of cyncism.. I think the worst part is how un-friendly of an environment you are describing. Personally I could not surround myself in such an environment. If the vibes are that bad I'm going to make them better - and if I don't, im gonna GTFO dat ting. I'm honestly surprised at how you're judging an entire generation though. serious?

As far as changing the environment....LOL to that. We put up signs to remind the techs to stay off their phones. Management made us take them down. They said- "We don't pay them well, so we tolerate cell phones to get them to stay." I kid you not. This was a regional grocery chain. Every cashier up front would have their face in their cell phones constantly, and management had no problem with that as terrible of a picture as it was. I wish this was a joke. But I LIVED it. We finally got one lower manager who agreed with a "no cell phones in the pharmacy" policy. When she started to press higher management on it they transferred her to another store. The younger generation of techs was just TERRIBLE. Completely unsocialized as if they had been raised by wolves. It kept getting worse and worse. I thank god every day that I got out. It was the definition of toxicity. I can only describe a generation by what I see, so yes I'm describing what I saw- without exception. You can't make things better as a staffer when no one else who has any power to change things cares at all. My pharmacy manager was on her phone right along with them. How can you possibly win in such a situation?

I have got a tech that stays on her phone, calling kids with homework, picks up the phone and waits on customers in a blue moon, no compliance calls, etc. I'm a part time staff pharmacist and putting more work on me and another tech to get sh** done. I don't have the power for a writeup but it is testing my nerves to no end. What are some of you other folks doing besides PIP, etc.

I don't want them wrote up but give them gold stars so hopefully they transfer and are someone else's problem.

• Sad
When is review season? What if I find the reviews unreasonable? How should I approach it without seeming like a cry baby.
There has been zero communication with the rxm because we don't overlap
I have zero overlap too. Hard to run a business with no communication.

I feel like I responded to your questions before... Too lazy to check
1. Can't run a store as a manager without techs. Staff is easily replaceable. Floater is insignificant.
2. You are not in position to win them over unless you are the pharmacy manager.
3. You can do your own documenting. Sometimes it might work but you'd still need your manager on your side eventually.
4. You can't. Become the manager and get involved in politics from better angle possibly.

In my retail interning days, I felt the techs, especially that odd duck who is single and in her late forties, been with the company 25 years, have more power than the rph. The old tech would be sent from pharmacy to pharmacy to "help" out with short staff, but was really a stool pigeon.

Even in hospital, techs that are on their high horse are nasty, tons of gossip, last thing a stressful profession needs. I find the anti-social pharmacists who look to techs for socialization can be bad because the empower the tech. No one should have to worry about gossiping in the pharmacy. It should be a uniform bunker of solidarity.

Any advice in this matter is appreciated. I've tried to keep it totally professional with techs and be buddy-buddy. Buddy-buddy they like you but the familiarity breeds contempt with work functions.

From experience, good techs will leave eventually for better opportunities unless constrained by Bad Life Circumstances

Anyone in a FT retail tech retail position for more than 2 years is highly sus

Most useful behavior you can adopt yourself (enforcing another issue) is keep work environment strictly business only, especially no buddy-buddy **** between pharmacists and techs. Ultimately if you are not "manager" / "PIC" only so much you can do in regard to disciplinary matters

Unfortunately, much work these days is about telling stories that make you look good to management, rather than direct work performance