How to list my volunteer hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby_chamo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.. I've volunteered god knows how many hours as basically a physicians assistant/scrub tech. Basically, I scrub in surgery and I do basically what a scrub tech does, with the addition of holding retractors, etc.

With this, I've observed and assisted in countless hundred hours of orthopedic surgeries. I've done this for well over a year now, twice a week, many hours a day. Some days are up to 12 hours long, some only 8 or so. This is easily more than 800 hours of volunteer work. I'm still 3 semesters away from graduating, so by then I'll have well over 1800-2000 hours.

I am curious how I will list this volunteer work, and if they will think I'm exaggerating when I put the number of hours.

I did not receive money for any of this. Would this be classified as volunteer work?

Thank you
Bobby

Members don't see this ad.

sure...sounds like it.

some schools dont ask for hours......some do........

just follow directions on the secondaries and just write it down if they ask for it.

I would say that is definately volunteer work....and that is a lot of hours....you should definately play up that experience and dedication...

Oh....and I PM'ed you with a question or two if you dont mind

Members don't see this ad :)
You could include the number of hours in your AMCAS Postsecondary Experiences description along with an explanation of what you did (just like you listed it here.) You can also explain it the same way on secondaries, if applicable (i.e. if you're asked what's your most significant clinical experience or something like that.)

Hi, just make sure your hours correspond to the hours they have for you. I found out that the clinic I volunteered at for over 2 years was missing 7 months of my sign in sheets, so the hours I had recorded all those months were very different from what they ahd down for me. they did find my sheets, but this could have looked like I was lying if the schools had checked.

I don't know if most schools want to verify the hours or not. The schools will look at your hours and think you are the best vlounteer there.:clap: :clap: :clap: