How to land a Scribe/Medical Assitant job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XWing5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips to get my foot in the door? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply?

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! Chief scribe (manager) from ScribeAmerica here! You can fill out an application on the ScribeAmerica website (SDN won't let me post the link, just google ScribeAmerica). Apply to multiple sites if there are a few in your area. When we screen applicants we look to see that you have a good understanding of the role of a scribe (helping a doctor improve patient care etc etc etc) and we look to see that you're committed to learning more about the field of medicine (ie, premed/prePA/prenursing). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any tips to get my foot in the door? Thanks!

Best advice I got- just apply. Leave it to them to discern whether you’re qualified or not but don’t be the one to take yourself out of the running.

I know scribe companies take literally anyone since they have a high turn over rate. But for medical assistance jobs don't you need to have a certification?

Reactions: 1 user
Most MA jobs do require a state cert. That's sketch if you don't need to be licensed but still have the scope of practice of a MA.

Just google scribe companies and apply. They are always hiring because it's a stepping stone for their employees.

Most MA jobs do require a state cert. That's sketch if you don't need to be licensed but still have the scope of practice of a MA.

Just google scribe companies and apply. They are always hiring because it's a stepping stone for their employees.

It was sketch which is why I quit after 6 months but none the less, valuable experience. Also helps you land a non-sketch job since you now have x months of experience in lieu of actual certification. Guess it does depend what state youre in though

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do medical assistant. Be a scribe. Pay is probably worse but the experience is valuable without a certification like the MA stuff usually makes you do. All you need to do is be 18 (usually), have a clean drug screen, be able to type at a moderate speed, and apply. I recommend hitting a couple of the big companies. In my area PhysAssist and ScribeAmerica have almost all facilities covered. I hear PhysAssist gives you more training than ScribeAmerica. Pay will always be **** no matter what. See if you can find a company/region that does ED plus other things like outpatient clinics or pulm/cardio consultants if you want variety.

There's also Vituity (formerly known as CEP America).

I know of lots of local scribe companies that are hiring... Where are you located?

Do scribe companies only put you in full-time gigs? Or can you land a job working part-time on weekends or after normal 8-5 hours?

Also, thank you everyone for taking the time to respond, a lot of great information here.

Do scribe companies only put you in full-time gigs? Or can you land a job working part-time on weekends or after normal 8-5 hours?

You can work full time but it is a pretty crushing commitment and the companies know that most of their employees are students or otherwise engaged in volunteer and other work opportunities. But beware, part time is not quite what you might think, particularly if you are in the ED. Just like the ED functions 24/7, you might also be expected to, depending on how bad the scheduling is. Part time may include weekends and overnights at inconvenient times.

Chief Scribe for ScribeAmerica here. It's hiring season right now, put your applications in! Your best chance is now, IMO.