This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StackOfTurtles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 30, and in my fifth year of a PhD program in the humanities. I'm writing my dissertation, and I *should* be done in June 2019. Meanwhile, I'm taking my MCAT June 1 and will apply to med schools this summer -- my state school is my #1 choice, but I have a short list of 5 other institutions to which I have some connection to which I will also apply (2 private in my region, 3 public). I'm considering the DO route as well.

I worry that my pre-med credentials are skimpy, in part because I'm a parent, and also because the dissertation is taking up a huge chunk of my productive capacity. If I have 5 hours a week to work on improving my candidacy, based on the below qualifications, how should I allocate that time to put forward the most competitive application possible? Should I be doing more shadowing, looking for a more impactful clinical role, using specific strategies to up my MCAT score, workshopping my personal statement....? I can do anything, but I can't do everything.

UG GPA: 3.9X
Masters GPA: 3.8X
PhD GPA: 4.0 - no published research, but a sterling teaching record
Post Bac Sciences GPA: 3.9X
MCAT: Will take June 1, scored 501 on my last practice
Volunteer: 300 hours in medical clinic at homeless shelter (this is mostly distributing meds/scheduling appointments)
Shadowing: 50 hours, family med and PM&R

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're mostly good. You don't need more shadowing. At this point, it's a little too late in the game to add new activities for a 2018-2019 cycle anyway. Continue doing your activities. At about 4-6 weeks out from the MCAT, you should be doing a full-length practice exam every week. Workshopping your PS wouldn't be a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
501 MCAT will not help you. I'd focus there

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT, also maybe put in the time to research schools to apply to. 5 schools won't cut it.

I think you'd be OK with a 501 at some DO schools but you have to aim higher for MD

5 hours is the problem. Makes me think you aren't serious about the outcome. What happened to whatever it takes?

I assume you have your letters of recommendation all set up? If not, that's a high priority, you'll need to get to know some physicians/professors fast. If you plan to apply DO, try to get a letter from a DO physician as well.

Other than that, I think the highest yield activity is studying for the MCAT, although it does depend on the school and on where you are with regards to MCAT studying.

Also, some older applicants excel at networking, so contacting the schools you plan to apply to is something to consider.

MCAT, MCAT, and more MCAT.

Aim for 508 and you should be in a good spot.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echoing the others, your application looks good other than the MCAT -- but that's a big deal because the MCAT is a huge, huge portion of your application. Honestly, I'd drop the other priorities (any volunteering, etc.) and focus purely on the MCAT.

5 hours is the problem. Makes me think you aren't serious about the outcome. What happened to whatever it takes?
This is a fair question! I definitely DO NOT want to look like a dilettante, so I'm grateful to you for pointing out what might be seen as a commitment issue.
I put the 5 hour stipulation on my post because I'm already working 30 hours a week and now preparing for the MCAT 4-5 hours a day. Since posting, I've lined up two additional shadows with Drs in different specialties post-MCAT and I'm going to keep volunteering every week -- so my intention was to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak, as I build on what I'm already doing. I'm definitely in for whatever it takes, and if I'm not doing enough that's a wakeup call I'd rather have now than later.

Last edited:
Echoing the others, your application looks good other than the MCAT -- but that's a big deal because the MCAT is a huge, huge portion of your application. Honestly, I'd drop the other priorities (any volunteering, etc.) and focus purely on the MCAT.
Wow and Okay! I hear loud and clear from y'all that MCAT is a big weakness for me so I'll beef up my prep and call in all the help I can get with kiddo for the next 8 weeks so I can fix that. Thank you!!!!

You have a fantastic GPA. For your state MD ~508 is a good median, otherwise 512. 501 is risky

I assume you have your letters of recommendation all set up? If not, that's a high priority, you'll need to get to know some physicians/professors fast. If you plan to apply DO, try to get a letter from a DO physician as well.

Other than that, I think the highest yield activity is studying for the MCAT, although it does depend on the school and on where you are with regards to MCAT studying.

Also, some older applicants excel at networking, so contacting the schools you plan to apply to is something to consider.

I have letters from the family dr and physiatrist I shadowed with, my physics prof, and my dissertation advisor. I don't have a DO letter, and I am trying to get in touch with one to shadow with because I know I'll need that if I plan to apply for DO.

Another question - how should I frame my contact with schools? I want to make institutions aware of my interest, but I also don't want it to feel like I'm calling on some silly pretext.

This is a fair question! I definitely DO NOT want to look like a dilettante, so I'm grateful to you for pointing out what might be seen as a commitment issue.
I put the 5 hour stipulation on my post because I'm already working 30 hours a week and now preparing for the MCAT 4-5 hours a day. Since posting, I've lined up two additional shadows with Drs in different specialties post-MCAT and I'm going to keep volunteering every week -- so my intention was to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak, as I build on what I'm already doing. I'm definitely in for whatever it takes, and if I'm not doing enough that's a wakeup call I'd rather have now than later.

501 to 508 and 512 is a big jump in a relatively short period of time; not something you can simply order up with small changes and wishful thinking. Take a temporary leave from volunteering. Heck, take a week off work. What's your goal? Focus on the test, points there will matter more and everything else can be done in the months to follow.

Yup, spend the 5 hours per week studying for your MCAT.

A 501 and 50 extra hours of research or service will get thrown in the trash while a 510 with 0 extra hours of whatever will get an II.