How to improve GPA at high school

WJK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To whom it may concern,

My son has completed his 11th grade at high school in VA. Due to some deviation from the path (teenager stuff etc) , his GPA is extremely low. He has come to his senses and now wants to redo his entire 11th grade to increase his grades, to have a better change in getting into a carreer field (health care in general).

We support him in that however it appears that:
in VA you can not retake an entire year, and if you do, the grades you have received earlier will still count, e.g. a D obtained, combined with an A to be obtained if you redo the year would give you a high C or Low B.

How can we have this one year "erased" from his history and start over?

any help/direction is appreciated

Wilco

Members don't see this ad.

Hm... Well, first off, it's great to hear that you're not just pushing your child through the system just so that he can finish in twelve years. And way to be a proactive parent!

I don't live in VA, so I can't really tell you how the policies work and such, but I don't think that you should worry too much about this past year. If your son goes back and retakes all of his classes, and applies to college with a B/C average GPA, the college will see that he went back and got all A's the second time around. The fact that he was willing to go back and make up for his mistakes shows a lot of drive and commitment.

Also, the only thing that a low high school GPA is going to affect is your college application. If he applies to a health program after that (EMT, nursing, dentistry, etc., etc.) they're not going to look at his high school transcripts. All that will matter are his grades and experiences in college.

Good luck to you and your son!

I have a friend in Fairfax who's gotten a pretty lousy grade in Pre-Cal. She's retaking it in summer school and her grade there will replace the one she had for the school year. I think you can only do this with two classes though, so it'd probably be best to take the two worst grades over again... but I would also advise your son to talk to his guidance counselor to see if there's anything else he can do to boost his GPA.

I agree with Tib about the college thing. It only really matters how well your son does after he starts college, it's a clean slate... the only problem is he has to get in first. If his GPA really is that terrible though he can always go to Community College for a year or two and then transfer out.

Other than that just try and help him do better next year and learn from his mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just sit down with your guidance consuler and lay it out. Tell him/her that you are willing to do whatever it takes to walk out of High School with the highest GPA possible for him. Then see what they can do or what your options are.

What about going to a local community college for a year, attempt for an all A+, and transfer out to something else? A lot of people with fantastic grades are opting to go to our local community college for a couple years just because it is so cheap. I wouldn't think so many intelligent people I know are digging their own grave like that.

In that light, I would just say forget HS, if that is an option. I don't know how things change from state to state though.

Whatever you do, I wish you the greatest of luck possible.

Yeah, as others are saying, if he's really turned around, I would suggest the best and most effective thing would be to graduate, and then go to a community college for two years, do amazing, and transfer to a great school. Community College's really don't deserve the negative stigma that they have, they often have much better teachers than big universities. If he repeats the 11th grade, it will just be an extra year that he could have been spending in college, and getting done sooner.

Either way though, med, dent, pharm, and just about any other professional schools don't really care how anyone did in high school, so it's not like this is going to hurt him in the long run, as long as he actually puts the hard work in.

Yeah, as others are saying, if he's really turned around, I would suggest the best and most effective thing would be to graduate, and then go to a community college for two years, do amazing, and transfer to a great school. Community College's really don't deserve the negative stigma that they have, they often have much better teachers than big universities. If he repeats the 11th grade, it will just be an extra year that he could have been spending in college, and getting done sooner.

Either way though, med, dent, pharm, and just about any other professional schools don't really care how anyone did in high school, so it's not like this is going to hurt him in the long run, as long as he actually puts the hard work in.

What is the evidence for this?

My personal experience and experiences of those who I've talked to, as well as some common sense, and for this instance I'll stick to the educational environment of California in the sciences. There is a stigma that professors at CC's are from po-dunk schools where they earned their bachelors or masters and then just went into teaching, and this is very often incorrect. My Physics professor had his PhD from Yale and wrote the book for the class, my Gchem professor had his PhD from MIT, another Chem professor from Caltech, the list goes on.

I can say from my experience that the vast majority of science professors which I've had at the Community College (Cypress College) have been hands down better than my University professors (UC, Irvine). A number of factors go into this - the major difference is that the vast majority of big CA schools are research schools, UCI, UCLA, UCB, Stanford, etc. Because of this, the schools higher researchers, not teachers. While some of these professors may very well be one of the foremost experts in the field, and I've taken a number who are, they often have a horrible time trying to explain it clearly to others in a way which they can understand and master the material themselves. For many professors you can tell that teaching is a complete afterthought to doing their research, some only teach their one or two classes a year which I'm guessing is a minimum requirement. Some of the professors I've had simply put up the power point slides that come with the book and read directly off of them, giving the lecture absolutely no value, and requiring the student to do extra work to full grasp the material. On the other hand, the only reason to be at a Community College is because they have a desire to teach, and while desire might not equate to teaching skill, you can tell that it's what they're there to do. A number of my professors worked in industry for the majority of their lives, chemical engineers, pharm, etc, and they made plenty of money doing that, and now that they're either retired or left the industry, they want to teach. These are the professors which I've found are often the most inspired, and strive to do their best to foster student understanding.

Another factor not directly related to a professor's teaching ability but which does greatly impact the student's learning experience is class size. My Organic Chemistry class had 14 people in it and was done in a small seminar room, the same class at UCI has 400, and is done in a movie theater size lecture hall. I'd ask you to guess which has more student/teacher interaction, and ability to understand where students are struggling? This is the same for biology and physics classes, and this isn't just an issue at UCI. Of course a counter argument to this is saying that office hours are available, but with 400 students, is 2 hours a week really enough? I also know that there are classes taught by TA's, completely removing the "professor" from the class room.

Now please don't take my argument to mean that you won't get an excellent education at a big university, or that ALL university professors are bad, this is definitely not true. I have had a few amazing and inspiring professors at the university level, but it is a stroke of cosmic luck to find such professors who are both at the top of their field and amazing instructors. Dr. Francisco Ayala at UCI is one of the foremost evolutionary biologists in the world, and I can say he was not only inspiring but deeply thought provoking, and had a strong desire to get his students to really think about the topics, and promote student interaction. Also, one of the biggest benifits of being at a research university is the opportunity to do research, which you can't get at many other schools - just about every other bio major at UCI has or is doing research, and the other half is either not interested or hasn't tried very hard to find a research lab.

And also remember that this is referring to sciences, especially since student doctor is for pre-health professions, and thus most of the readers here will be science majors. I really have no qualms with saying that big universities have amazing non-science instructors, as most of the ones I've had have been great, as have the majority of non-science CC instructors I've had.

I hope this clears up my point for you.

First and foremost, I will say on a personal level, I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. However to play devil’s advocate, one should remember that this is a very small sample size (n=1), and although anecdotal evidence is pretty compelling, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
One could argue that perhaps you went to quite an exceptional community college in comparison to your university. Unfortunately, not everyone will have a similar experience, and one cannot just assume that going to ANY community college with result in such an experience. I will say that my boyfriend, who went to a major university in Boston, agreed with you. However, as is the natural of the anecdotal evidentiary beast, you really cannot justify something as being fact because it happened to you or a few people you know. If I were the OP’s son, I would most likely talk to current students in the program about the typical type of professor and if they had similar experiences to you. He could also go on ratemyprofessors.com. I have had very good experiences with this website.
Unfortunately, like you have explained, going to a community college does have negative connotations at times and typically is stigmatized. If that isn’t important to the student, then go for it. But be sure to get all the facts, and think long and hard about it. There are always going to be problems with both types of schools. I know some people who have experienced problems going from a CC to a university or college in terms of having the “college experience.” It’s a lot easier to form friendships when everyone is new, not just you. Additionally, from my experience, when it comes time for graduate applications, it makes it easier to have all of your materials coming from one university. Take from that what you will. I will in no way say that that is fact, just my experience in comparison to a friend of mine.
Another route, that I decided to go for, is to go to a smaller liberal arts school. I experienced the best of both worlds. I had professors who were exceptional researchers, having attended some of the leading graduate programs in their field with internships at some of the best hospitals in the country, but at the same time were also exceptional teachers and mentors.
In the end, you will hear arguments from both sides. Some people had better experiences with community college because of the individual attention and professor’s attention to detail. Some may like the prestige of larger universities where the big name counts for something (and at times, but not ALL times, have “better” faculty) However, remember that college isn’t supposed to be like high school. You aren’t supposed to have everything spoon fed to you. You are supposed to research and read by yourself and do the work in the way that’s best for you. Not everyone is comfortable with this. Unfortunately though, if you are going to be going into a graduate level education, this is something that you will experience, and having experienced it in UG will make it much less of a shock. Being proactive in terms of studying, understanding difficult concepts on your own, and integrating it into your research and practice are all useful tools to have before graduating UG. In the end, the best advice anyone can give you is to do research on your school, CC, university, or small college. Being educated on the types of teachers, the methods of teaching, and the overall feel of the program will help you maximize your happiness.
My personal experience and experiences of those who I've talked to, as well as some common sense, and for this instance I'll stick to the educational environment of California in the sciences. There is a stigma that professors at CC's are from po-dunk schools where they earned their bachelors or masters and then just went into teaching, and this is very often incorrect. My Physics professor had his PhD from Yale and wrote the book for the class, my Gchem professor had his PhD from MIT, another Chem professor from Caltech, the list goes on.

I can say from my experience that the vast majority of science professors which I've had at the Community College (Cypress College) have been hands down better than my University professors (UC, Irvine). A number of factors go into this - the major difference is that the vast majority of big CA schools are research schools, UCI, UCLA, UCB, Stanford, etc. Because of this, the schools higher researchers, not teachers. While some of these professors may very well be one of the foremost experts in the field, and I've taken a number who are, they often have a horrible time trying to explain it clearly to others in a way which they can understand and master the material themselves. For many professors you can tell that teaching is a complete afterthought to doing their research, some only teach their one or two classes a year which I'm guessing is a minimum requirement. Some of the professors I've had simply put up the power point slides that come with the book and read directly off of them, giving the lecture absolutely no value, and requiring the student to do extra work to full grasp the material. On the other hand, the only reason to be at a Community College is because they have a desire to teach, and while desire might not equate to teaching skill, you can tell that it's what they're there to do. A number of my professors worked in industry for the majority of their lives, chemical engineers, pharm, etc, and they made plenty of money doing that, and now that they're either retired or left the industry, they want to teach. These are the professors which I've found are often the most inspired, and strive to do their best to foster student understanding.

Another factor not directly related to a professor's teaching ability but which does greatly impact the student's learning experience is class size. My Organic Chemistry class had 14 people in it and was done in a small seminar room, the same class at UCI has 400, and is done in a movie theater size lecture hall. I'd ask you to guess which has more student/teacher interaction, and ability to understand where students are struggling? This is the same for biology and physics classes, and this isn't just an issue at UCI. Of course a counter argument to this is saying that office hours are available, but with 400 students, is 2 hours a week really enough? I also know that there are classes taught by TA's, completely removing the "professor" from the class room.

Now please don't take my argument to mean that you won't get an excellent education at a big university, or that ALL university professors are bad, this is definitely not true. I have had a few amazing and inspiring professors at the university level, but it is a stroke of cosmic luck to find such professors who are both at the top of their field and amazing instructors. Dr. Francisco Ayala at UCI is one of the foremost evolutionary biologists in the world, and I can say he was not only inspiring but deeply thought provoking, and had a strong desire to get his students to really think about the topics, and promote student interaction. Also, one of the biggest benifits of being at a research university is the opportunity to do research, which you can't get at many other schools - just about every other bio major at UCI has or is doing research, and the other half is either not interested or hasn't tried very hard to find a research lab.

And also remember that this is referring to sciences, especially since student doctor is for pre-health professions, and thus most of the readers here will be science majors. I really have no qualms with saying that big universities have amazing non-science instructors, as most of the ones I've had have been great, as have the majority of non-science CC instructors I've had.

I hope this clears up my point for you.

Well, I'd have to say that my n is closer to 30-40, but you have a point. And yes, I agree that small liberal arts schools or smaller private schools can often be superior to either. But I never intended to imply that a student is to be spoon fed by professors, but you're making it sound like bad instructors should be taken as a given, and it is the fault of the student for not grasping material - though you're right in saying that students are required to put a good amount of effort forward. But anyways, back to the main point, for the OP's son, if it were me, I would suggest not retaking the 11th grade, taking a few AP classes in 12th grade, and then graduate, go to a local school, and then transfer to a larger one. In the long run, high school grades really don't matter. But first and foremost, do what you think you will enjoy, and always get all the information you can to make the best informed decision.

Lets just all go to ratemyprofessor.com. That way we never have to wory about sucky professors!

:xf: