How to improve app for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_HeartMD

Reaction score
Current MS3 at top 15 USMD school on west coast (if it really matters?). Step 1: 23x (screw that test). 1 H and 1 HP so far. Research: 1 co-2nd author paper, 1 poster presentation (another poster at a conference coming up soon), 1 middle author paper recently submitted. Typical ECs. Career goals are private practice IM subspecialty in Cards, GI, or Pulm/CC as of right now. Any ideas as to what I can/should be doing right now for aspects outside of clinical grades/step 2CK during 3rd year? Really interested in top 30 programs in South/Midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Research, research, research. If you care about prestige of your residency, then getting more pubs will probably the highest bang for your buck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research, research, research. If you care about prestige of your residency, then getting more pubs will probably the highest bang for your buck.
Don't really care about the prestige as much just want good training and a place that gives me the best chance of matching fellowship.

You do want to match as high as you can to keep fellowship options open and get a good knowledge foundation.

TBH there isn't much you can do other than keep learning as much as possible, put out your best possible performance, and try to do well on CK. Youll definitely match somewhere and if it isn't a good place to launch in to a fellowship then youre going to have to fix things during residency but not now. Try to start making connections to people where you are now--youll be surprised how useful they can be later if you end up needing an external rotation or help getting considered for an interview.

And well…fixing the step score…unless that research is published on NEJM, it’s not going to trump step scores.
Well he did say outside of clerkships and step, so I assumed those two were a given.

Don't really care about the prestige as much just want good training and a place that gives me the best chance of matching fellowship.
For the best chance of matching a competitive fellowship, it is important to have publications in said subspecialty.

You do want to match as high as you can to keep fellowship options open and get a good knowledge foundation.

TBH there isn't much you can do other than keep learning as much as possible, put out your best possible performance, and try to do well on CK. Youll definitely match somewhere and if it isn't a good place to launch in to a fellowship then youre going to have to fix things during residency but not now. Try to start making connections to people where you are now--youll be surprised how useful they can be later if you end up needing an external rotation or help getting considered for an interview.
I'm assuming academic programs with in house fellowships are in general good? What about programs who's residents primarily match into their in house fellowships and not elsewhere (example: UF jax)?

For the best chance of matching a competitive fellowship, it is important to have publications in said subspecialty.
Most definitely. Is it necessary to get this while still in med school though? My program doesn't have any projects in the fields I'm interested in at the moment.

Disagree on it being the most important though--it is to know someone important in the field who will vouch you to others in the field. The subspecialty education circuit is small a lot of these people all know each other. Having 10 pubs vs having a letter (and of course the infamous phone call)--one of those is guaranteed to get you an interview.

Disagree on it being the most important though--it is to know someone important in the field who will vouch you to others in the field. The subspecialty education circuit is small a lot of these people all know each other. Having 10 pubs vs having a letter (and of course the infamous phone call)--one of those is guaranteed to get you an interview.
I mean, the best way to build rapport with a big name mentor is to publish with them and ideally work with them in the clinic. Right now, OP is asking what they can do in while in medical school.

For top coastal residency programs, will 255+ step score from top 40 MD program carry an application to a match to a top program in a city like nyc, Boston, Chicago? What else to do to increase likelihood of match?