How to handle this.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I just finished up my first research project (writing it up now :thumbup: ) and I am supposed to interview with a EM residency PD about a project idea I have. I spoke with him about the Well, there's one hang-up: I spoke with him on the phone and he was very encouraging about the project, and that he really likes working with premeds; the comment was made that it is a good way to see whose applications he should look for in a few years. A good sign eh? Well the problem is that I don't know if I want to do EM. It's something that I am interested in, but I don't want to put this PD off because of my indecisiveness- especially given that this program is one that I am very interested in if I were to pursue EM as a specialty. Should I be honest that I'm undecided? Should I play up my definite interest in EM? I don't want to screw this up, not only for the potential adverse effects later on, but also because I have to drive a very long way for the interview :laugh:

Any advice from all of you guys (especially the PD's that I know frequent this forum) would be very greatly appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be honest. Most people understand that you are just a pre-med and they also know that people will change their mind 3x during MD school. I would just be honest and say something like "I am really into EM but I havent made a final decision yet". His reply will be, "I didnt really expect you to be 100% sure". Now lets make this project happen!

Thanks for the advice. I've got my fingers crossed on this one...... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Do the research. The PD knows you may decide you dont like EM. You probably arent going to make or break yourself with premed research.

kungfufishing said:
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Do the research. The PD knows you may decide you dont like EM. You probably arent going to make or break yourself with premed research.
Agreed :thumbup:

just be honest. even if you told the PD that you were definitely doing EM, i doubt that he would really believe you (given that pre-meds generally have little idea what field they will actually end up in).