Medical How to handle D+ in Biochemistry going into applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am writing this post for advice about applications. I will be finishing this semester with a D+ in biochemistry and high As in two graduate-level science courses (medicinal chemistry, advanced physiology). I’m a nontraditional student so have been finishing up pre-requisites in a post baccalaureate program while working. The end of this semester was uniquely challenging for me as my husband was hospitalized in the last few weeks with a TBI following a cycling accident. It was too late in the semester to drop courses, and I did my best to balance everything, but came up short in biochemistry. The course had very few grades, and the professor was not able to adjust any deadlines when I shared my situation so I had to push forward. I finished the course 1.5 points away from the C cutoff (ouch), but I will be able to retake the course in the Fall. Other aspects of my application are strong, but I am feeling so disappointed in myself for ending a semester in this way. I do have a meeting scheduled with my advisor, but I would be grateful for advice regarding medical school applications and how/where to discuss this. Thank you!
Honestly by far the best outcome would be a retroactive withdrawal. This is occasionally granted at some schools in exceptional circumstances, and if it's a thing at your school you should definitely explore that route.

Other than that, all you can do is re-take and get an A. Potentially something you could discuss in an adversity essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.